Granberg Rail Supports and Aux Oiler

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While milling a 60” log recently, and it being the largest I’ve done yet, I noticed the mill flexing as I came out of the log. Using 2 guys despite how much we tried I kept getting a wing on one side of the log. I’ve never had this happen on smaller logs, and my only guess is the mill being spread almost all the way out the rails are flexing along with the 72” bar when trying to swing out of the log my usual way.

I’ve seen other setups with multiple supports along the rail as it gets wide, the same supports that the height adjustment posts are attached to. So I figured I’d just build my own to bolt in as I start extending my mill out for larger logs.
I also decided after that I could an auxiliary oiler setup. I got some stainless 4.5” pipe off the scrap pile at work. I think cut out a disc and pressed it with a 3/4” nut in the center with the outside supported by a similar size piece of pipe. Doing this made a cone that will scavenge the oil to the center. I drilled and tapped the center for 1/8”npt and will mount a valve there.The top I cut a piece to fit the top and used a hole saw to get the hole in the center for a 1” nipple to weld in. The end goal will have a rigid line going from the tank and down to the chainsaw bar. Will update progress as I go.9B12F48B-2B45-456A-BCA8-DA05D89A9EF2.jpeg845E312D-D01E-4EBE-857E-6D616A5BFFFE.jpeg 77C7296E-DB54-4167-BF5A-D1A3A9F9D53A.jpeg177AD669-35B0-49F0-A398-9A71C6F9B2B6.jpeg 156E4114-41F6-4DFB-A63C-F96779EE76D0.jpeg

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While milling a 60” log recently, and it being the largest I’ve done yet, I noticed the mill flexing as I came out of the log. Using 2 guys despite how much we tried I kept getting a wing on one side of the log. I’ve never had this happen on smaller logs, and my only guess is the mill being spread almost all the way out the rails are flexing along with the 72” bar when trying to swing out of the log my usual way.

I’ve seen other setups with multiple supports along the rail as it gets wide, the same supports that the height adjustment posts are attached to. So I figured I’d just build my own to bolt in as I start extending my mill out for larger logs.
I also decided after that I could an auxiliary oiler setup. I got some stainless 4.5” pipe off the scrap pile at work. I think cut out a disc and pressed it with a 3/4” nut in the center with the outside supported by a similar size piece of pipe. Doing this made a cone that will scavenge the oil to the center. I drilled and tapped the center for 1/8”npt and will mount a valve there.The top I cut a piece to fit the top and used a hole saw to get the hole in the center for a 1” nipple to weld in. The end goal will have a rigid line going from the tank and down to the chainsaw bar. Will update progress as I go.View attachment 328581View attachment 328582 View attachment 328583View attachment 328584 View attachment 328585
First time Tig welding I see. Just kidding, looks nice. I wish my welds looked like that.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually taught myself last summer, so I haven’t been doing it too long!
Looks great from here. Good job, I need to do some more to get back in the swing of things. I don't have many things that need to be tig welded right now. Or any that I can think of.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks great from here. Good job, I need to do some more to get back in the swing of things. I don't have many things that need to be tig welded right now. Or any that I can think of.
Thanks! I got the basics down and am now learning new techniques like welding sheet metal and off position stuff.
Looks like he was a good teacher.;)
better tell my boss that teacher needs a raise new position at work requires tig welding on processing equipment so I had to make it happen.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks! I got the basics down and am now learning new techniques like welding sheet metal and off position stuff.
better tell my boss that teacher needs a raise new position at work requires tig welding on processing equipment so I had to make it happen.
What's his email or phone? Did you show him your work? Increased skills should be rewarded.

Reactions: Lnk