Ford 360 carb advice

Tbrown

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1972 f250 with 360/auto. Has motorcraft 2 barrel with manual choke, all auto choke parts missing including high idle step up. Runs and drives good, carb drips fuel at accelerater pump. Want to replace carb to get operating choke. Should I go to the 500 Holley 2 barrel with electric choke or stay with the motorcraft 2100 type? If my carb was complete I'd rebuild it.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've nothing to add really...other than those trucks are badass. The 360 never got much attention but that motor will scream!

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife had a 71 F100 Ranger with a 360 and a C6 trans. That was one pulling truck, of course 7 mpg respectively. Easy to work on, minus that one starter bolt that was hard to get at and never made it back on. Learned not to install wider tires also, manual steering was a killer after that. Also learned not to pull off the side of the road if the ditch was deep, gas came from the left corner of the tank and all the gas would be on the right side. They also had their on tool box on the inside fender, never lost a tool under the hood of ya know what I'm talking about.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've threatened to put a Holley on mine I bet 100 times. Any time it sneezes the power valve goes out. If you really spend the time tuning it the 2100 will perform as it should, careful of some reman carbs, never can tell what you'll end up with. The actual Ford Truck manual for the year of your truck is a wise investment as it has more detailed specs and settings jet sizes etc. than a Chilton type book, they can be found on Ebay.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
8:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a Holley 500 2 barrel on a 351m, and it was a big improvement. To me the Holley is a lot easier to tune, and the performance was way better. The choice is yours, but I wouldn't waste anymore time on the Motorcraft carb.

Nathan lassley

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1972 f250 with 360/auto. Has motorcraft 2 barrel with manual choke, all auto choke parts missing including high idle step up. Runs and drives good, carb drips fuel at accelerater pump. Want to replace carb to get operating choke. Should I go to the 500 Holley 2 barrel with electric choke or stay with the motorcraft 2100 type? If my carb was complete I'd rebuild it.

I had a 73 f100 360 with the cruise-o-matic and exactly the same carburetor problems, I ended up one day just driving to Kragen auto and buying a holley 2300. It was a good decision because it never gave me trouble and I could rebuild it on the truck if needed. It was really easy to tune and you get any size you need for it.

My wife had a 71 F100 Ranger with a 360 and a C6 trans. That was one pulling truck, of course 7 mpg respectively. Easy to work on, minus that one starter bolt that was hard to get at and never made it back on. Learned not to install wider tires also, manual steering was a killer after that. Also learned not to pull off the side of the road if the ditch was deep, gas came from the left corner of the tank and all the gas would be on the right side. They also had their on tool box on the inside fender, never lost a tool under the hood of ya know what I'm talking about.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

No kidding about the one starter bolt, 5 minutes for the two and an to get the one out. I also had a fun time with the rear passenger side spark plug.