Flat Rate Shipping

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used the USPS 'Flat Rate' boxes a lot through the years, because they are convenient, easy, and because chains weigh a lot! One forum friend once mailed me 33 pounds of chains packed into a medium flat rate box - my mailman was impressed (really - he was not mad, but he was a little curious about what was inside). But not everything fits into the small USPS box, and then prices go up.

Anyway, I recently discovered that FedEx has a similar program called 'One Rate', that is similar: based on the FedEx package size, and the 'zone' shipped to (your home zone is '1', the next zone over is '2', etc., instead of a specific address).

FedExUSPS.jpg
USPS Small Flat Rate Box (8.6" x 5.5" x 1.6"), $6.75, 70 pounds max, includes insurance for $50.
FedEx Small Box (11.3" x 8.75" x 2.7"), $7.50 zone 1, $10.75 zone 3, 50 pounds max, includes insurance for $100.

I was looking to mail something from Minnesota to Massachusetts that would not fit into the small USPS box, but fit into the small FedEx box for a lot less than a larger USPS box. You get the idea - FedEx offers some different size/shaped packages than USPS, and the best pricing may depend on that. Also offers a option if you prefer the service of one carrier over the other. Worth checking out if you are shipping stuff. ***You have to ask for 'One Rate', or the FedEx cost will be different***

Alaska, Hawaii, and International rates will vary.

USPS - https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm
FedEx - https://www.fedex.com/us/onerate/

Philbert

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
10:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fedex is out of my way. USPS is 5 miles and they're 20. I need to schedule pickups.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to watch the USPS flat rate boxes. Sometimes regular USPS is cheaper for the given distance. The flat rate boxes are just so convenient.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you print at home you save 10% I believe. That's my preferred way to do it.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly. You have options, depending on where you live, what you are shipping, etc.

A power head or long bar won't fit into any of those flat rate boxes, but it is worth knowing the sizes, and checking the rates on-line, when figuring out how to send things that do fit. For example, I can get a lot more chains in that small FedEx box, and ship it for only $7.50 if it is within my 'zone'. There is a FedEx office a few hundred yards from me.

Books get a special discount with USPS. FedEx offers more insurance upfront. Guys who ship a lot get discounts, so that changes things for them.

Not worrying about the weight is a big feature for me. Not sure if UPS offers any 'flat rate' program.

Philbert

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If fedex had a real store and not in a shipping center with a bunch of pricks I'd use them more often. I've thought about opening an account and having them pickup from home.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If fedex had a real store and not in a shipping center with a bunch of pricks I'd use them more often. I've thought about opening an account and having them pickup from home.

Amen brother. UPS is the same way. No time for non volumn non commercial accounts. Say what you want about the USPS they are at your box six days a week and walk ins are not an issue.