Favorite inverter generator

Logsdendave

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the powers out. Once again I’ve decided to get a small generator to run a few things during an outage and to take camping. Anyone got one they like or hate?

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i use a honda eu2200 to run a jet engine style diesel heater during the winter for work.

the generator is very fuel efficient, light weight and it runs great, but 1 thing that is BS is the .gov mandated co-minder sensor they have, the sensor is designed to shut it off if it detects carbon dioxide because some people apparently think its a good idea to run an internal combustion engine inside. my experience is about 500 ish hours the sensor needs replaced because the battery inside wears out. when it failed on me it shut me down for a week so the dealer could get a new one and install it. the second lasted about the same. after that I took apart the generator and removed it and now everything is great.

going forward I would not buy another unit that has that stupid sensor, it will give you problems at some point, they have diminished the reliability of the honda generators substantly, for every life it might save it could be putting another at risk.

I am not sure if those sensors are mandated across the board with all manufactures, but be mindful if the unit has one it is liable to shut you down without any warning

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
4:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two Hondas. A 2.2kw and a 5kw. Love both of them. I’ve had the 5kw for around 20 years and have never had a problem with it. I use it for power outages. Only has around 400 hrs On it. I keep non-ethanol treated fuel in it. The 2.2kw is 3 yrs old and has under 100hrs on it. Same on fuel. Both are inverters and are extremely fuel efficient. The only problem is price. Hondas aren’t cheap.
I have a couple friends with Champions, non-inverter, and both like them. Also have a neighbor with a Generac, that he says is a pos. He bought it when Generac dumped a bunch on the market a few years ago at bargain basement prices.
It’s never a bad decision to go with quality.

Traprunner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honda eu6500is is what I've been using for the past 15 years. Has run for days on end with no major problems during power outages. I think it has over 3000 hours on it. Think the new model (7000) is fuel injection now?

Logsdendave

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Top three answers for Honda. They are the top brand after all.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i use a honda eu2200 to run a jet engine style diesel heater during the winter for work.

the generator is very fuel efficient, light weight and it runs great, but 1 thing that is BS is the .gov mandated co-minder sensor they have, the sensor is designed to shut it off if it detects carbon dioxide because some people apparently think its a good idea to run an internal combustion engine inside. my experience is about 500 ish hours the sensor needs replaced because the battery inside wears out. when it failed on me it shut me down for a week so the dealer could get a new one and install it. the second lasted about the same. after that I took apart the generator and removed it and now everything is great.

going forward I would not buy another unit that has that stupid sensor, it will give you problems at some point, they have diminished the reliability of the honda generators substantly, for every life it might save it could be putting another at risk.

I am not sure if those sensors are mandated across the board with all manufactures, but be mindful if the unit has one it is liable to shut you down without any warning
So does it cause it not to have spark? I’ve got one I need to take to the repair shop if I can find one that will work on it. It is a 2022 eu2200. Was running fine a while back. Tried to fire it up on a power outage and had no spark! Everything else seems to be alright.

Jake Dykstra

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a predator 3500 from harbor freight at least 5 years ago maybe 7. Changed the oil a couple times other than that it rides around in the flatbed 24-7.
People ask why not a Honda? Well first let me say I have a Honda 2k and 6.5k and there awesome.
Predator pros:
Cost is a 1/3 of Honda
Starts every time.
Quiet enough for work ginny.
And don't have to bolt it to the floor cuz apparently even crackheads have standards.
Cons:
Doesn't pull amps like the Honda probably 90% of same Honda.
Spark arrestor did clogg with soot after a few years but just cleaned it.
Not many shops work on predators but I haven't needed it so kinda mute point.
Summary:
Will buy predators for work every time in the future as I've yet to see a Honda last longer

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can use a non inverter and just apply filters to any needed device/appliance. They are $35 a piece.

The little Yammy gennies are just as good as the Hondas if you have a dealer close and pricing makes sense.

Subaru used to be my favorite brand for power generation. Just well built units, they were and usually cheaper than their Honda rival.

Got nothing against a Honda.

Logsdendave

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a predator 3500 from harbor freight at least 5 years ago maybe 7. Changed the oil a couple times other than that it rides around in the flatbed 24-7.
People ask why not a Honda? Well first let me say I have a Honda 2k and 6.5k and there awesome.
Predator pros:
Cost is a 1/3 of Honda
Starts every time.
And don't have to bolt it to the floor cuz apparently even crackheads have standards.
Cons:
Summary:
Will buy predators for work every time in the future as I've yet to see a Honda last longer

Predator pros:
Cost is a 1/3 of Honda
Starts every time.
Cons:
Summary:
Ahh good ol harbor freight my dirty secret

Logsdendave

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can use a non inverter and just apply filters to any needed device/appliance. They are $35 a piece.

The little Yammy gennies are just as good as the Hondas if you have a dealer close and pricing makes sense.

Subaru used to be my favorite brand for power generation. Just well built units, they were and usually cheaper than their Honda rival.

Got nothing against a Honda.
Some good tips there

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a HF Predator 2000 for about ten years before buying another of the same about 3 years ago, only reason for buying another is one of the kids borrowed the first and never brought it back ;) both are still running great.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes the cominder sensor kills the spark, and will flash an amber light on the cominder sensor panel in the front of the unit. if you are looking at the front where the plug ins are the sensor is screwed to the black front panel on the right side, a security torx screw holds it in place and there is about 10 or so wires going to it. i remember spilling gas when re fueling and it tripping the sensor, there is a reset button to reset the sensor but eventually it needs replaced.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
another thing to consider with the Eu2200 and other hondas is getting an artic kit installed, the crankcase breather tube can and does get moisture in it and freeze up and kill the motor in temps around 10°F, the canadian units come from the factory I believe with a heater in the tube that take something like 180 watts to run, I dont have the artic kit and had a few problems with carb iceing before I removed the co-minder sensor, now I have a bent steel plate that directs the exhaust around the right side if looking at it from the rear

Zackeepr1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another vote for Honda here. I have an eu3000is with a wheel kit that I use for Camping and when the power goes out. Plenty of power to run the AC in the camper, no need for an extra tank it will run all night with no issues. It's also quieter than the 2200, but not as portable it just depends what you need.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The eu3000 is a little on the heavy side but well worth lugging around. They sip fuel and run quiet as a church mouse. I’d add a wheel kit. The ones that have the integrated wheels aren’t as good imo.

MS261CM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Harbor Freight Predator 4400
It's my favorite only because it's the one I own. 4400 Watt starting, 3500 Watt continuous and 120V only.
I added natural gas capability with a few eBay/Amazon parts.
Hot water, furnace, clothes dryer, oven, range are all gas so the house has no 220 loads and little total load.
The panel has a lockout and a backfeed breaker. The adapter cable feeds L1 and L2 in phase which works fine in this situation.
Furnace blower starts up fine while the double boiler espresso machine is heating so it's good enough.
It ran about 3 hours a couple days ago. I've got freezing rain as I type so we'll see if I start it up again tonight.

My sample is an early 4400. They have been improved primarily in terms of start surge since this. There had been some complaints about start surge on RV AC units. The new ones are better. Mine seems fine for my use. I expect capacitance was increased between the boost PFC and the inverter stage. I would do that myself before spending more. I'm a cheap bastage...

Gen.jpg

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Harbor Freight Predator 4400
It's my favorite only because it's the one I own. 4400 Watt starting, 3500 Watt continuous and 120V only.
I added natural gas capability with a few eBay/Amazon parts.
Hot water, furnace, clothes dryer, oven, range are all gas so the house has no 220 loads and little total load.
The panel has a lockout and a backfeed breaker. The adapter cable feeds L1 and L2 in phase which works fine in this situation.
Furnace blower starts up fine while the double boiler espresso machine is heating so it's good enough.
It ran about 3 hours a couple days ago. I've got freezing rain as I type so we'll see if I start it up again tonight.

Gen.jpg

After being out for several hours today, and I have access to several size generators, I’m seriously thinking about adding one of these. I always thought you needed a “transfer switch” but I have talked to a few electricians and even the inspector for my area. They all said this is the simple way to do it. I have a Miller Bobcat 250 with 9500W worth of power. My issue is my well is on my shop panel and the house is in another. I need to find a dedicated generator for the well house and find a switch for it as well.

MS261CM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I personally think - and apparently agree that the battery powered CO monitors are a ridiculous solution. It's a feature on a generator. The generator will be providing power any time the CO monitor should need to be active. Why the F the battery?

One can find instructions on the internet for most any task. This feature isn't difficult to disable. I soldered a jumper on the PWB Collector to Emitter across a signal transistor cuz that's how I roll. Available instructions short a couple wires at a connector to do the same. Google search is your friend. My generator is outside, downwind, vent blocks in that area are plugged and the house is well equipped with CO monitors. I would remove the jumper before selling the generator. Which I won't. Because the generator works.

Don't as much as think of doing such a mod on your own to your own equipment. I am a trained professional. Yada, yada, yada...

MS261CM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After being out for several hours today, and I have access to several size generators, I’m seriously thinking about adding one of these. I always thought you needed a “transfer switch” but I have talked to a few electricians and even the inspector for my area. They all said this is the simple way to do it. I have a Miller Bobcat 250 with 9500W worth of power. My issue is my well is on my shop panel and the house is in another. I need to find a dedicated generator for the well house and find a switch for it as well.
The lockout keeps the utility workers safe as well as the transfer switch. My old panel had an upper section with no main and two lower sections with separate mains. I finally found an approved lockout for it. I then moved everything I cared about to one section and had an electrician install the lockout, a backfeed breaker and run a cable from the backfeed breaker to the side of the house.

Most people so I assume you as well need a fair bit of 220. I see Harbor Freight now offers a 13kW non-inverter generator in tri-fuel trim for $1199 or there abouts. That will throttle down at light loads since the torque requirement drops off with current but this generator will maintain RPM to maintain 60Hz output. An inverter generator would maintain frequency electronically and operate at higher efficiency at lighter loads. The non inverter generators are much simpler electrically and will operate at higher efficiency at high loads.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Champion 8750 watt open frame invertor generator that goes to a manual transfer switch. I tried to keep it simple, so my wife can switch it over if she has to. She would be too scared to use a panel interlock.