ECM on a X300 John Deere

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a friend with a JD X300 that the control module failed. His mechanic told him it could have been caused by a battery maintainer or jump starting with another battery? Is that possible? Evidently this is a problem with some of the JD models

SE#1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure could, same effect as a power surge that damages electronics.

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure could, same effect as a power surge that damages electronics.
So to use a battery tender you would need to unhook the battery first? Have the x300 been known for problems with the ECM?

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back when I worked in the dealership around 2010-2015 or so they were having a big problem with these modules failing. Both brand- new and the the replacement ones. Then it settled down and the replacements were working OK to repair the ones failing under warranty. I thought they had the problem cured. Some of these machines are getting pretty old, so anything is possible. I'm pretty sure these modules are made in China if that tells you anything.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> or jump starting with another battery?

I have seen this happen with Chevrolet Astro mini-vans and GM cars. Usually the fusible link melts at the starter. It can take out the ignition module and alternator too. I have never seen it nuke the CPU on a GM.

So it is "possible", though I would look at the module being badly designed or defectively manufactured and the board or component has gone bad. Or a component that it reads has good bad and nuked the module. As always, check the fuses.

If the board is through hole design, it might be repairable, if it is all SMT, probably not.

If this controls the ignition/fuel to start the machine, I would look at by passing it.

SE#1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> or jump starting with another battery?

I have seen this happen with Chevrolet Astro mini-vans and GM cars. Usually the fusible link melts at the starter. It can take out the ignition module and alternator too. I have never seen it nuke the CPU on a GM.

So it is "possible", though I would look at the module being badly designed or defectively manufactured and the board or component has gone bad. Or a component that it reads has good bad and nuked the module. As always, check the fuses.

If the board is through hole design, it might be repairable, if it is all SMT, probably not.

If this controls the ignition/fuel to start the machine, I would look at by passing it.
I agree, I would think it is more likely the module itself is the problem. Without physically seeing the wiring and/or schematic it's really speculation.

066 redeye

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The big thing with jump starting is to not disconnect straight away
leave jumper cables on for 30-40 Seconds to allow voltages to equalise.
Or spikes can occur.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Smart charger / jump starter is your friend. Especially on modern stuff.