Considering my first suppressor.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
2:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am trying to figure out my first suppressor. Anybody here care to share any wisdom? My primary use will be rifle target practice. Mainly with 6mm arc and 5.56 for right now. I have considered some large bore modular units like Silencerco Hybrid 46M or JK 155 VersaX 45. Each of those give plenty of room for further growth. I just can't decide if I want to get 1 jack of all trades that masters none or if I would be smarter to slowly get multiple dedicated caliber cans. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

cescarbrough

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not a can expert but I have never heard of cans that have room for expansion for growth. Usually they are dedicated to a specific thread pitch and caliber size. Even if it were not so I would want each firearm to have its own.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 2 that I mentioned, as well as several other options, have a 45 caliber bore but you can buy caliber specific end caps and thread mounts. The baffles are still 45 caliber but you can shoot anything smaller as well. Essentially a person could buy 1 suppressor and also any caliber specific accessories to use it on any caliber. The downside being it won't suppress smaller calibers as well as dedicated units. But is that trade off worth only buying 1 suppressor, only paying the tax stamp once and only having the wait time once? Or is spending the extra money and time waiting for each caliber specific suppressor the better choice? These are the questions I am hoping to get some insight on. I don't think there is any wrong way to go. I was just hoping to hear from anybody that has real world experience.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
3:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s my opinion that a dedicated suppressor will give you best results. I started shooting my 9mm thru a .45 can and it worked fine until I heard the difference that a 9 mm can made on my gun. I bought a 9mm suppressor after that. I’ll bet the same can be said for other calibers and cans.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re gonna want a .22 suppressor as well. Be certain that the one you buy can be taken apart and cleaned. It’s the nastiest caliber out there and will load up a can in a hurry. The ones for ALL the other calibers will not load up like a .22 will. Think of them like the muffler on your lawn mower. How many pops can they take in their lifetimes. Answer is in the tens of thousands.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only advice I would give is to buy exactly what you want and make sure it's quality. As you know, you have to wait months and pay $200.00 on top of the price, and if you later want to sell it or trade it you have to go through the process all over again. Far as I know used silencers don't hold much value. I once saw a post on another forum where a guy was giving away some heavy, old tech silencers to anybody that would pay for the stamps.

Reactions: Lnk

cescarbrough

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only advice I would give is to buy exactly what you want and make sure it's quality. As you know, you have to wait months and pay $200.00 on top of the price, and if you later want to sell it or trade it you have to go through the process all over again. Far as I know used silencers don't hold much value. I once saw a post on another forum where a guy was giving away some heavy, old tech silencers to anybody that would pay for the stamps.
I'm fortunate enough to live in a state where we can build our own as long as we don't sell it or transport it outside of the state.

cescarbrough

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I assume you still have to do a form one and get a stamp for them?
Nope. Our state constitution declares that it is our right as long as it stays within the state. Unfortunately, as in politics, this is still waiting for sufficient proof cases, and victims willing to try it.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first suppressor finally got out of jail a couple weeks ago and I was in a similar situation as far as versatility. My primary use is hunting so I wanted something lightweight. Didn’t have to be full auto rated. And not crazy expensive since it would be my first one so I wouldn’t be too disappointed if the results were not what I expected. So I opted for the Gemtech Tracker (30cal). It’s 5/8x24 thread and weighs 11oz. And I have been very pleased with it. It’s been on my 243 and I have a 300wsm that’s threaded as well. I also tried it on a 22-250 and it does an awesome job with it too.

Attachments

• IMG_2722.jpeg
    IMG_2722.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4