Chainsaw Value Blue Book

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive thought of this for a while. Why cant we put together a group effort of a Blue Book value list of saws. I realize saws have a slight difference in value based on specific location. I think 3 different levels, complete not running, Running but still used and Mint never gassed. We could do brand specific. Obviously some of the obsolete brands for the collectors. I realize this wld be better in the form of an organized spread sheet.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
something of this sort already exists in published form called the Outdoor power equipment blue book published annually in March
I have never bought or read one, so i am not sure if it covers chainsaws at all, but the title makes me think it might.
I am going to order one just to see what it really is.
I am totally down for an online reference to value spreads for chainsaws.
I have long done my own silly spreadsheet for the same thing.

keep in mind that it will inevitably lead to a set of standards for grading condition
and as the codex grows and becomes more accurate the opportunity to score a great deal will decrease, just as sites like eBay have allowed pawn shops to have a much better idea what an item is worth
Before a guy lists his old grungy 066 flat top on Craigslist for $300.00 he might learn how much a sucker like me would pay for a complete original red light model and double his asking price.

On the other side a guy buying a saw from you on CL might dicker you down harder thinking the saw is worth less than you ask because "the chainsaw guide says so".

All worth thinking about

Last edited:

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Dave. I would think with every ones input and take a nice average it could be done. I know prices in my head and have prices of what Ive sold saws for but I know I pass along the savings. If I get a free 250.00 saw and repair it for 75.00 ill let it go for 200.00 or in most cases take a trade of another broken saw and so on.
Please let us know what the mystery book has to say.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah having a guide to up saw prices would be bad especially to those that don't get or understand CAD. Second thought maybe we should make one and low ball everything for are benefit!?

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i will order it this weekend, they say it is available in March so it shouldn't be too long

might also give some thought to revenuers and tax implications as well as possible hurt feelings
I did get some nasty hate mail after I posted about a good deal on some runners years ago at the Arboristsite.
Guys angry that I was going to make money on saws I had bought, as though they deserved to share in my profit despite them being strangers to me.

044 Arctic NOSIB sold 2016....$1250.00+an 11 hour drive each way, a stay in a scary bed and breakfast and a nice running 028 (New Old Stock In Box) lol

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NOS = new old stock
ANOS = assembled new old stock - built from scratch from all new old stock (not used) parts
Runner = starts, runs and oils as it should, mechanically sound
Project Saw = all (or vast majority) part present, no major parts missing, missing parts listed
Builder Saw = good crankcase, good tank and cylinder is present
Parts Saw = missing cylinder, bad case or tank
Mint - literally flawless, no chips, scrapes, dings, scratches, marks, modifications, signs of use, some brand new saws are not Mint when sold
Minty - upon casual inspection appears to be new, minor imperfections or wear marks are acceptable
Clean = has been well cleaned and is in cosmetically nice condition, no broken plastic, only minor fading
Nice = a used but good looking example, nothing missing or badly damaged, taken care of but not pampered
Good = an average saw that looks decent, plenty of fading, dirty, nothing missing, no safety features missing
Fair = a well used saw that is cosmetically rough, major fading, mismatched parts, cracks in plastic
Rough = a beater for the back of the truck, most parts are damaged in some way, cranks and dents
APU = aftermarket parts used
OEM = ALL OEM parts (sprockets, spark plugs excepted unless NOS or ANOS)

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see it in the Oregon catalog with a dealer price of a bit less and a retail of more than the amazon price
@Definitive Dave I have often looked and wondered what all was in that book and how accurate it would be considering how saws/mowers/trimmers are bought and sold second hand and even thru dealers there is no county records to comb thru for sale prices. Of course i have also always wondered how KBB could be accurate on values of private party sales since nobody i know reports the true sales price.

http://www.tractorbluebook.com/Equipment-Blue-Book

https://www.stens.com/755-358-blue-book

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
just looked to see if hayward had them in stock....sure do and they have 2 of them.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ill check Oregon and see if I can get 1. Sounds handy to have around.

e.fisher26

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought a mac 610 on Craig's for $10 I asked mcculloch brand threads what they are worth, they said they would pay $50 for one... A few on ebay were upwards of $150+. O know ebay prices are higher in general but who do u listen to, forum ppl, ebay, or even a blue book value. It's a good runner and cutter btw.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For saws that aren't antique and still have a market driven by users, I've found that about half of new retail gives a pretty good starting point with plus or minus from there depending on condition. The value of a saw depends on a lot of factors that aren't easily definable and since most saws have no indication of "mileage" or other easily determined benchmarks, value is pretty much what a buyer and seller in that particular situation agree to.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a mac 610 on Craig's for $10 I asked mcculloch brand threads what they are worth, they said they would pay $50 for one... A few on ebay were upwards of $150+. O know ebay prices are higher in general but who do u listen to, forum ppl, ebay, or even a blue book value. It's a good runner and cutter btw.
610's around here go for $70 to $100. Macs are hard to sell though. At least ones in that 10-10 series. I've had a hard time getting $50 out of them. I won't buy any more.

e.fisher26

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
610's around here go for $70 to $100. Macs are hard to sell though. At least ones in that 10-10 series. I've had a hard time getting $50 out of them. I won't buy any more.

I took a chance at $10, its a great saw.

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worth is only what the buyer and seller agree to. Books are guidelines, nothing more and they can't cover the entire spectrum.
Guido is correct.