Chainsaw fixing school

Harleydaze64

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My limited chainsaw experience starts with a 015av that my Dad bought at a local shop in 76. That little saw has cut a lot of wood and still look goods and runs well.
Its out in my shed now a days, but...My son in law, a Marine, hard headed sob, wouldn't listen to tree felling instructions a couple pre deer seasons back.
We were cutting lanes down in Wv , Well, after a short bit, the first small tree actually, and he comes walking back up the hill, holding my dear old Dads saw in two pieces. It took me a while on fleabay to locate a handle and fuel tank for that old girl.
I wish I would have known about this site then.
My only other saw is an 028, but lately I have been searching for a 361, that search lead me to this forum.
This has caused my wife to say something to the effect of..,"please don't start collecting saws"...no promises baby...no promises.
My other mechanical experience ranges from dirt bikes as a kid to my current position as the building maintenance supervisor at an engine plant.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My limited chainsaw experience starts with a 015av that my Dad bought at a local shop in 76. That little saw has cut a lot of wood and still look goods and runs well.
Its out in my shed now a days, but...My son in law, a Marine, hard headed sob, wouldn't listen to tree felling instructions a couple pre deer seasons back.
We were cutting lanes down in Wv , Well, after a short bit, the first small tree actually, and he comes walking back up the hill, holding my dear old Dads saw in two pieces. It took me a while on fleabay to locate a handle and fuel tank for that old girl.
My only other saw is an 028, but lately I have been searching for a 361, that search lead me to this forum.
This has caused my wife to say something to the effect of..,"please don't start collecting saws"...no promises baby...no promises.
My other mechanical experience ranges from dirt bikes as a kid to my current position as the building maintenance supervisor at an engine plant.
Welcome to the site
Somebody just posted a 361 for sale in the
Classified section.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the site
Somebody just posted a 361 for sale in the
Classified section.
Nevermind it sold already.

oldbitz

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I learnt a lot from my father who was a mechanic, so it just seemed natural for me to follow in his footsteps. I started rebuilding mowers when I was about 10, collecting old junkers from around the neighbourhood and fixing them to use to mow peoples lawns and to sell for buying tools and parts to fix the next project. I got into saws while still in high school as a neighbour use to cut timber for the local mines and on weekends and school holidays I used to go help him to make a few extra dollars. Then when I left school I got my trade ticket as a mechanic and worked the tools for a while then got fed up with cities and went bush to work on farms. So I have been using and repairing saws since I was around 14. These days I mainly use them for cutting firewood to supplement my pension and cut fence posts as well for the farmer whose place I cut my wood.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPE sir.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been mechanically inclined my whole life. I started taking my toys apart to see how they worked when i was old enough to operate thd screw driver. took my first gokart engine apart when i was 9 or 10 it was a mac 101a and it was a 60mph gokart. i can fix anything if i have the tools to get it apart. as posted on another thread my fist saw was an 046 that i pieced together from a box of old broke down saws from a logger. there were four or five 046s and a couple of 044 basket cases. I still have them and look at the pile as future projects... lol