High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Can’t find exact correct carb for Sabre Briggs, help?

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
10:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks. I have a John Deere Sabre 42inch riding mower with a 15.5hp Briggs and Stratton single cylinder that needs a new carb. I spent a half hour on the internet, but no luck finding an exact replacement. It’s a Walbro/Briggs and Stratton 498888. If anyone could help me in this hunt, I’d appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_6982.jpeg
    IMG_6982.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6983.jpeg
    IMG_6983.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6985.jpeg
    IMG_6985.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 5

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks. I have a John Deere Sabre 42inch riding mower with a 15.5hp Briggs and Stratton single cylinder that needs a new carb. I spent a half hour on the internet, but no luck finding an exact replacement. It’s a Walbro/Briggs and Stratton 498888. If anyone could help me in this hunt, I’d appreciate it.
Your better off rebuilding it.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Deere often has the engine suppliers build engines to Deere's specs. Deere sometimes changes things like crankshaft bearings, mufflers, air filters and carburetors to what they want, different from what the manufacturer puts on their off- the- shelf engine with similar model and spec numbers.
Have you tried looking up the part number in the JD parts lookup and cross- referencing from there?

Maybe that will lead you in a better direction.
If that fails Czed may be correct. An older carb like this should rebuild well unless it is really corroded inside or physically worn out.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll get the serial and model numbers off the tractor later to do parts look up. Thanks. I am capable of rebuilding it if need be.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"Google the engine model number that is on the valve cover. There are replacement carbs listed by engine number."

Normally this would be the correct method to find your parts.
If the engine spec number does not come up when searching, it is because the engine was made specifically under contract for Deere using specs supplied by Deere. The engine mfg will deny that the Deere engine spec number even exists.
Using a parts diagram with a similar spec number may get you the correct part number.
Or it may not. It depends on what Deere changed from the original engine spec.
That is why in this case it is best to start from the Deere parts diagram to get a correct part number.

Last edited:

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No number on valve cover. I don’t have the original shroud/cover for the engine and I know the numbers are often on those.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What model is your tractor?
Check the JD parts lookup and see if the engine shown matches your engine.
Now that I think back, I remember Sabres as having Kohler engines. I could be wrong, there were a lot of different models.
So, this may not be the original engine?
If this is not the original engine, no engine numbers is going to make this a challenge to figure out.
B&S engines with overhead valves had the numbers on the valve cover, usually on the top side.
Flatheads had them on the fan shroud or on a plate that stuck out over the muffler.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What model is your tractor?
Check the JD parts lookup and see if the engine shown matches your engine.
Now that I think back, I remember Sabres as having Kohler engines. I could be wrong, there were a lot of different models.
So, this may not be the original engine?
If this is not the original engine, no engine numbers is going to make this a challenge to figure out.
B&S engines with overhead valves had the numbers on the valve cover, usually on the top side.
Flatheads had them on the fan shroud or on a plate that stuck out over the muffler.
Okay, will do. It’s a Sabre 15.5hp 42 inch.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, will do. It’s a Sabre 15.5hp 42 inch.
What model though?
There should be a tag on the rear of the frame, under the seat or under one of the rear fenders (usually the left one) with the model number and serial number on it.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What model though?
There should be a tag on the rear of the frame, under the seat or under one of the rear fenders (usually the left one) with the model number and serial number on it.
Looked all over and had no luck finding that.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the engine is a Briggs, the model and spec number is on the valve cover. If the valve cover is blank, perhaps it was installed upside down after servicing the valves. Check to see if the letters ohv on the front of the cover are right side up.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Google the engine model number that is on the valve cover. There are replacement carbs listed by engine number.

Normally this would be the correct method to find your parts.
If the engine spec number does not come up when searching, it is because the engine was made specifically under contract for Deere using specs supplied by Deere. The engine mfg will deny that the Deere engine spec number even exists.
Using a parts diagram with a similar spec number may get you the correct part number.
Or it may not. It depends on what Deere changed from the original engine spec.
That is why in this case it is best to start from the Deere parts diagram to get a correct part number.
This. I used to wrench for a Deere dealer, and Briggs and Kawasaki, etc all made engines specifically for Deere that are otherwise untraceable through normal small engine parts suppliers. Must go directly through Deere for the specific parts. However, a LOT of the off/the/shelf parts interchange if you know the engine family well enough to pick another model. I’ve had to do this before.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like a run of the mill Walbro LMT carb.
Do you have a local small engine shop? If so, they should likely be able to get you a kit. There were 2 different venturi sizes depending if it had a 48 or 52 cast into it. And only other difference was jet sizes. Needle, seat, float, gaskets should all be the same if my memory is correct.