Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carcinogens mostly from man made stuff in town or organic material fires too?
Man made are the killers. Of course there are carcinogenic compounds in every type of smoke, but if natural material smoke was deadly, no one could consume grilled food without cancer side effects.. The man made materials are very toxic when burned.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Career guy for 10 years now, on the wildland side of an all-risk department. I was a volunteer for nearly 10 years as well, but that was too much fire-stuff in my life once I went full-time. I've done both, but I'm definitely a wildland guy first and foremost...I've always loved forestry and working in the woods, so that's where my heart is.

A lot of research is suggesting that the carcinogens are all over our gear, the trucks, etc.. and lately those in the know are stressing the importance of cleaning the gear more often, and washing/wiping down the trucks after every call. They say that it’s even affecting our kids at home if we don’t immediately shower and get cleaned up after we return home.. I will say that I have always tried to shower quick after returning home, just to get the burnt material smell off me.

I don't go to many structure fires, but when I do, cleaning up is paramount. I doff my gear before getting back into the engine and it rides back in one of the compartments. As soon as I get back to the station, I'll take the engine out of service, wash our gear, and take a shower before going back into service.

In my short 15+ years in the fire service, I've noticed a change in mentality regarding dirty gear. When I started, dirty gear was cool...now it's generally frowned upon(with the structure turnouts at least.) I regularly wash my wildland gear as well(about 99% of the fire I see) but it does look pretty haggard in short order.

Carcinogens mostly from man made stuff in town or organic material fires too?
Mostly from structure fires/synthetic materials. Although everything is carcigenic when burned, the synthetic materials are absolutely terrible. Wildfire smoke has traditionally been thought to be relatively harmless, but emerging research is beginning to suggest otherwise. Not to mention, that it's compounded if structures are burning as well. I've been involved in some very large wildland fires that involved countless homes, one in particular, one of the colleges did a blood analysis on some of the first responders after the fire. I didn't test, but my partner did and he had dangerously high concentrations of heavy metals/other bad *s-word for months afterwards.

With a structure fire, I can isolate my airway from the smoke with an SCBA. In wildland, there is no airway protection(or at least any that I'm willing to wear.) Not to mention that you live in a pea soup of smoke for weeks at a time.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re not the first person to ask me that 🤣

In all seriousness, I guess you could say I’m a jack of all trades, and master of none. I’ve always enjoyed learning more - doing whatever I feel I am capable of. I’ve always followed what interests me and ran with it until another opportunity opened up.

Honestly, it bothers me when I look back at all the jobs and “careers” I’ve had - I never wanted to be “that guy”. I always figured you go to school, get a career, and stay there until you retire. But I have no regrets - I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience from a lot of places and I use those skills daily. And every move I’ve made has been in a positive direction to improve myself.

I'm kinda similar. The fire stuff is what pays the bills and puts a roof over my head, but I would be bored if that's all I did. I've got my brands in other fires as well, I'm not getting rich off of those other things, but it breaks it up enough to keep my head on straight for the fire stuff. I work for a large agency with lots of potential for movement, partly because I can't stay at one location for too long. Once I become an "expert" in my current job or work location, I lose interest and start feeling restless for a change.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We did hydrocarbon fire fighting as part of my oil refinery operations duties.
I was fortunate to not see any large fires on our shift roster during my tenure, but the threat was ever present, and other shifts weren't so lucky.
This pic was taken at our last training day before our site was permanently decommissioned, by which time we didn't care how we were perceived by management.

Utmost regard for those of you who do this in any form, with volunteers at the top of the list. That fire fighting isn't professionally funded in so many locations around the world is, in my mind, criminal.
Screenshot_20230414_195141_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm kinda similar. The fire stuff is what pays the bills and puts a roof over my head, but I would be bored if that's all I did. I've got my brands in other fires as well, I'm not getting rich off of those other things, but it breaks it up enough to keep my head on straight for the fire stuff. I work for a large agency with lots of potential for movement, partly because I can't stay at one location for too long. Once I become an "expert" in my current job or work location, I lose interest and start feeling restless for a change.
I agree. Variety is the spice of life they say. And becoming restless or worse, complacent, because you get to the top of things is never good.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We did hydrocarbon fire fighting as part of my oil refinery operations duties.
I was fortunate to not see any large fires on our shift roster during my tenure, but the threat was ever present, and other shifts weren't so lucky.
This pic was taken at our last training day before our site was permanently decommissioned, by which time we didn't care how we were perceived by management.

Utmost regard for those of you who do this in any form, with volunteers at the top of the list. That fire fighting isn't professionally funded in so many locations around the world is, in my mind, criminal.
View attachment 373891
If I remember correctly, 93% of fire departments are volunteer, the rest are full time, fully funded…

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the worst part about the volunteer departments is the lack of funding. We have to volunteer our time a few times a year (mandatory - so more like volun-told) for fundraisers just to bring money into the dept to keep up with equipment costs and training costs. The little bit we get from the townships for a contract coverage agreement isn’t enough to keep the trucks up, let alone $4500 set of gear per fire fighter and all the other tools and equipment.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although my wife and I are not part of our local volunteer heroes, we have donated cash for equipment. She has made quilts for their raffle and mends their fire and ambulance clothes for free. I fix their small engine equipment free of charge.
We wish we could do more, but we couldn't handle it.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of research is suggesting that the carcinogens are all over our gear, the trucks, etc.. and lately those in the know are stressing the importance of cleaning the gear more often, and washing/wiping down the trucks after every call. They say that it’s even affecting our kids at home if we don’t immediately shower and get cleaned up after we return home.. I will say that I have always tried to shower quick after returning home, just to get the burnt material smell off me.
Yes, we have been told that we need to wash our gear after every fire for this very reason. Lots of guys wash there turnouts. But how many wash there wildland fire gear?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although my wife and I are not part of our local volunteer heroes, we have donated cash for equipment. She has made quilts for their raffle and mends their fire and ambulance clothes for free. I fix their small engine equipment free of charge.
We wish we could do more, but we couldn't handle it.
That’s awesome. I’m sure your department appreciates that!

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
next month I'm finally going to take the S-212 saw class, not because I wanna lump a chainsaw throught the woods all day, but I want to be safer cutting firewood, I get a lil nervous dropping trees amd would to hone in my skills a little more.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
River Bottom Fire. That's a term I haven't heard before.
River bottom just means river canyon or channel. It’s the New River created by a mishap while tapping into the Colorado river to bring water to this valley around 100 years ago.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
River bottom just means river canyon or channel. It’s the New River created by a mishap while tapping into the Colorado river to bring water to this valley around 100 years ago.

Around here, they're just "creek fires." Usually caused by urban campers/crackheads/*s-wordbums or as the PC police call them, "unhoused individuals."

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around here, they're just "creek fires." Usually caused by urban campers/crackheads/*s-wordbums or as the PC police call them, "unhoused individuals."
I think bottom is a southern term, like a holler. The river carved out a pretty decent canyon when it was created. Flooded the whole valley (Below sea level).

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess it just surprised me. Our rivers mostly have water in them.
It was quite a river when it formed the canyon but now it is much smaller. It’s the only geographical feature through the middle of the valley. Lots of brush and small trees grow in it (mostly undesirable invasive salt cedar), lots of wildlife.

The river is now full of sewage from Mexico…the Salton sea issue is another whole topic…