Broke my Kimber Micro .380

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, I know my limits. Glock 26 is the smallest 9mm I can shoot well. I have already swapped in a Sig P238 recoil spring and firing pin spring, hope to try them out soon. They feel stronger than the original Kimber springs. On this gun, the rear of the firing pin is all that holds the firing pin plate in place. It is conceivable that a weak firing pin spring could keep the firing pin from holding the plate in place properly.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local shop is getting out of the Kimber brand due to what he says is lower quality... I don't own one and have not even show one. I'm just saying.

Other than Glock, Kimber has to be the most divisive gun brand out there. I think most of their guns are nice but overpriced for what they are. Strangely, back when I bought the Micro, the equivalent Colt Mustang and Sig P238 were each $100.00 more. Fortunately, parts are mostly interchangeable among these guns. Sig parts cost half as much as Kimber and are much easier to find.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After the Easter festivities, I was able to put some rounds through the Micro using the Sig recoil and firing pin springs. Every round went bang and the slide plate stayed in place. Talked to my BIL about it, he is a real 1911 expert. He has seen this type of failure before, and every time it was due to a weak or damaged firing pin spring.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
11:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got two Kimber 1911's. A Gold Match and a Super Match.
If my wife hadn't bought both for me, I'd have kicked them down the road long ago. Both have been back to Kimber and both still have feeding issues. I've tried different magazines, springs and loads. Kimber says they work fine.
I'll never own another. Both are exceptional shooters, when they work.
I have friends who have Kimber 1911's and have never had a problem.

The Kimbers are middle left and bottom right.
image.jpeg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Micro is very accurate, however it has almost no refinements over the 1980's Colt Mustang it was inspired by. Sig made a good gun into a great one with some badly needed upgrades. Particularly, spring loaded external extractor and the barrel locks into the ejection port instead of those small grooves inside the slide.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put some more rounds through the Micro today with no problems. I suppose I'll put it back into the carry rotation, can't see any reason not to. I am going to start using a less intense load in it though. the Mustang and Micro are an old design and not ideal for +P.