ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who nowadays do I get ahold of to get a cylinder bored and plated? Seems like a dead art in today’s world

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
1:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
U.S chrome and Millennium Technologies are your best chances. Lenco had a great service, but I believe they are out of the game anymore.

Steven

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Millennium told me they could not bore a blind cylinder, they can only plate it......that was a year ago.

Blind cylinder: cylinder casting with integral head

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll have to give him a call sometime. I’ve got too many projects on the table while working 84+ hours a week :elefant:

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know Red97 is big bore sleeving cylinders but just using cast iron sleeves. They would perform very well with chrome rings without needing to be plated. I don’t know what grade he is using, but if I were to build a sleeve it would be from class 50 spun cast iron, it is super hard.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that sleeve on the 125 Mac I used grade 50 fine gray cast iron which is exactly what Harley D used on iron cylinders . I have no idea what for example McCulloch used . This has been kicked around quite a bit lately .It might be LA sleeve could have something close .
I also have no idea what Honda or Ford uses for die cast in place aluminum cylinder blocks .
Another option could be 4140 steel which is used on aircraft cylinders but it's chore to machine and finish .

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that sleeve on the 125 Mac I used grade 50 fine gray cast iron which is exactly what Harley D used on iron cylinders . I have no idea what for example McCulloch used . This has been kicked around quite a bit lately .It might be LA sleeve could have something close .
I also have no idea what Honda or Ford uses for die cast in place aluminum cylinder blocks .
Another option could be 4140 steel which is used on aircraft cylinders but it's chore to machine and finish .
Teledyne iron nitrides their barrels, as they are unlined. That is another option instead of chrome plating a cast sleeve for durability. It hones very nicely without special tooling. It is what Ariel Corp does to their gas compressor cylinders and they manage to get .040” to .045” hardness depth with the way they do it. I don’t remember if we checked hardness depth at Teledyne and or what depth we were achieving.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's probably a multitude of materials a person could use to reline or salvage a cylinder .For example ductile, often referred to as nodular iron .This is what Ford used for years on iron engines .For example the 300 six that lasted forever . It's a little more harder to machine and finish like 4140 steel but it lasts almost forever . I'm remined of Burt Munro the plucking little New Zealander who set and held the worlds fasted speed record in 900 cc on a DIY Indian MC engine that used cast iron water pipe for cylinders . Now that is resourceful .