Bore cutting without chain brake?

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a job i just quoted, have a coupla cottonwoods that I measured at 32" diameter with my loggers tape. One has a heavy lean and will need to be bore cut. Only problem is the only saw I have on hand that will do a clean bore cut on such a large tree is a ported cs 1201 with 36" bar. This fkn thing has so much torque, it has snapped .404 chain. Chaps ain't stopping that thing if she spits the cut.

I feel a little stupid/scared bore cutting with a saw like that. It's like Jake Paul about to box mike tyson, and acting like everything is a-ok, because the tyson or the 1201 is an "old" design.

I keep getting images of the fkn thing spitting out of the cut and cutting my torso off my legs.

Anybody ever have issue bore cutting with .404 and no chain brake?

I've got a ported cs 8000 that I could get a 36" bar for. But I'm kinda limited on time to wait for the order to get to Alaska.

Last edited:

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience with massive cottonwoods:
The closer to water they are, the heavier they get. These two are right beside a dmn creek.

They're brittle, so the hinge wood has to be a bit thicker. You can't just come out of a bore cut either, you have to bore cut only 1/3, then come in the the back side, leaving a second sliver of tension wood.

They're unpredictable. No matter how much u plan a cut, they don't cooperate.

I guess one guy showed up, frowned, shook his head, said he hates big cottonwoods, quoted the property owner $8000 and left.

Last edited:

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported saws or not, a big lean, and no chainbrake... well, Id sooner be alive than make a few bucks..
...just sayin...
Fk man, yep I'm not gonna bore cut with no chain brake on an uncontrollably powerful saw. I feel like an idiot even considering it. Now, bore cutting with a jumpy saw, I can CONTROL 81 cc. It's happened, stumping with the cs 8000 and all was well. I'm just gonna wait for a 36" bar that will fit the cs 8000.

Now that I've thought about it this morning, while drinking coffee:
Heavy, waterlogged cottonwoods tend to set down on yer fkn bar. Where it'll set down is on the top side of the bar as I plunge into my borecut, nearest the hingewood. The ported 1201 is the wrong mamba jamba .

If I was in my 20's I would've impatiently, mildlessly done this job with what i had on hand.

I'm in my fkn 40's, self preservation has prevailed.......

Last edited:

Timjus

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
bore from 2 sides. you really need only 50cc saw and 16" bar for it

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had one sit down on 3 wedges...after I'd pulled out...wood just formed around the wedges...never seen that. Big excavator even had trouble pushing it. We finally gave up trying to get it to go in the optimum direction and let it go into a plowed field. 3' base Cottonwood.

Catfishclark89

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know the twisting the handlebars trick when bore cutting? I’m not suggesting trying it for the first time on a big tree with a big saw and no chain brake.

gorilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could you lop off plenty of branches from the side its leaning towards, to help against the big lean problem then maybe it would be easier to just fell it in the usual way. Or if you can take enough weight off like this, then maybe you coukld fell it in a different direction. I have felled trees making 2 whole bore cuts, then shoving long logs through the bore holes and using a damn big jack to fell in the direction I wanted. But mainly I used a tractor mounted 10 ton winch... sometimes with blocks to increase the pulling tonnage, you need a w.m.d. proof hinge on stupidly awkward stuff. Even had tractor upside down one time. All good fun....

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hy sht gorilla! I found your theme song. Play it on a jobsite speaker next time you pick up a saw. And PLEASE film it, you'll be famous:

gorilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, just to clarify a lot.. the government were paying for everything and time was irellevant. We did loads of tree surgery, and so climbing and chopping bits or lots off here and there was just a bit of a daily challenge. We could do just about what ever we fancied. there was a hardcore off road motorcycle track on part of our patch, naturally.. they gave us land-rovers for our off-road work, and well.. the winch tractor was used a fair bit recovering the vehicles from there. Best job I ever had.

gorilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did I mention the ice cracking on the frozen lake when we were sent to recover some debris... Land rover again...
Or when we used an inflatable dhingy.. we named the TITANIC doing much the same thing, what a laugh..