srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
10:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem with the thin top tables like the HF and this cheap Amazon one is they won't hold the drop in style clamps. The table is too thin and the clamp wont wedge in properly. That's why they all come with the bolt in clamps.

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem with the thin top tables like the HF and this cheap Amazon one is they won't hold the drop in style clamps. The table is too thin and the clamp wont wedge in properly. That's why they all come with the bolt in clamps.

Actually, they do work, but you cannot put a lot of torque on the drop-in clamps. Or so I hear. I'll know for sure once mine arrives and I start to explore fixture clamp/pegs/stops/etc.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
9:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve already bent one of my Strong Hands portable tables in the middle, and that’s trying to be delicate with it. For a welding table with fixture intentions, I’d agree that the 0.125 one is way too thin. Even 1/4” is thin if fixturing is in its future

Generally folks start out with what they can afford and then upgrade as they learn a bit. That is what life is all about.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I offered $75 for the sheet of steel. Maybe I'll hear that the piece did not sell, and I can buy it. Still have no idea what I might do with such a thing. Maybe I'll just store it for a decade or two.

I hope you get it for $75 but I would have bought it at asking price. Anyone who thinks steel prices are going to go back to the 1970's should buy ocean front property in Arizona.

Since it is Sunday I cannot phone a local supplier but I see an online supplier quoting $285 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 A36 which is general hot roll. They are also quoiting $384 for a 2' x 4' piece of 3/4 A36. Now $90 of that is the cutting fee. A 4x8 sheet is $1088

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

A good welding table is like a good steer, it has to have meat in its top and a solid framework to support it.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OMG, what about buying a metal fabrication shop and have NO limitations? If I'm going to get serious about welding, say once a week or every other week, a shop like below would work, right? :rolleyes:

You quoted me but for what ever reason did not read what I wrote.:hmmm:

I hope it works out for you but that is not a welding table. It is thin sheet metal table that will warp, bend, and not withstand hammering. Use it now and set aside some coins to buy a good piece of plate and build a table. Get a piece of .750 or 1.0 plate that will make a solid top to a good table that will last a lifetime.

I thought it was clear but heck I guess it was not.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many things are very clear.

I agree they are. Quality tools are a wise investment.
Have you ever met a guy or gal that spent 30 plus years in the trades and heard them say......."if only I would have bought cheaper tools"

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything and more. Stable, flat, casters swivel and roll very well, etc. Not a bad purchase in any way for <$80.

I even found a 5/8 bolt that will work well as anchors for my Harbor Freight modified clamps. I'll go and purchase those in a few days.

I'll be looking for a metal peg board, and I do believe I have a good sheet of metal that can be modified to fit and make for a good lower shelf.

CIMG0001.JPG

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First clamp finished. One more, then make additional as necessary.

CIMG0002.JPG

CIMG0003.JPG