Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The arrows I currently have fall right in line with the useage chart (length, draw weight, spine) on the Carbon Express website. Of course there's no chart I can find for a recommended head weight.

I don't think 25gr is enough change.
I could pick up some 150gr practice/field tips and see how they fly.

Or, maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing...every time I've done my part properly, the deer was recovered in short order.
My bad, I thought you were going up 50 grains. I would think you should be getting a passthrough, unless you are hitting bone. Your deer are bigger than ours. Haven't shot one of these little ones with a bow yet. I may give up bow hunting anyway. Getting lazy(er) as I get older.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bad, I thought you were going up 50 grains. I would think you should be getting a passthrough, unless you are hitting bone. Your deer are bigger than ours. Haven't shot one of these little ones with a bow yet. I may give up bow hunting anyway. Getting lazy(er) as I get older.

You were right, I am thinking going up 50 as I don't know 25 is worth it?
I just enjoy being out there. The deer is just a bonus.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just like the meat. Venison is so versatile. Want to make some brats. I have a bunch of pork fat I got from the pig I bought. I would be fine just shooting one that walked into my line of shooting. Would be fine if it only took a few minutes to harvest. I like being in the woods, it is the sitting still bit that drives me nuts. I wish I was good enough to stalk hunt.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No one asking you stupid auto questions, asking if it’s done yet, why it costs so much and manger asking to increase output.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve shot several whitetail deer with compounds (does and bucks alike). I’ve shot them with bows from 50lbs to 75lbs. From arrows that weigh a little over 300 grs up to 450grs. With fixed and mechanical Broadheads. And I’ve debated on what really affects penetration. (I’ve had pass throughs with all the above weights.) I came to the determination that there are four big things that really matter.
1. Bow tune (a straight flying arrow is more efficient)
2. Speed (seems more speed was more effective than more arrow weight)
3. Broadhead design (more specifically the blade angle and whether they are fixed, rear deploying or front opening)
4. Shot placement (if you’re hugging the shoulder you’re less likely to pass through Vs the ribs.
The below picture is with a 70lb Pse brute (not a fast bow) with a 365gr Easton flatline and 100gr g5 deadmeat and that is the exit.

Attachments

• 68572121770__48CBC0B3-7C32-4E65-8E5A-7CA1A1079E2B.jpeg
    68572121770__48CBC0B3-7C32-4E65-8E5A-7CA1A1079E2B.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 6

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to Colorado a few years back on an elk hunt, called a big 6x6 into 32 yards. Had 504 grain arrows with slick tricks running about 290 fps out of a pse omen. Went for a frontal shot (mistake), hit bone (mistake), and the arrow only went in about 3 inches. After that I decided even if I mess up the shot, I want a full pass through. Picked up some 950 grain (not a typo) grizzlysticks, now everything gets a full pass through. 170 spine, 315 grain single bevel cut on contact fixed blade broadheads, tapered shaft, high foc, feather fletching, the works. If I could do it again I’d go down to about 650-700 grains, but these work awesome and are tough as hell.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the years I can't say I am super happy with the penetration I'm getting on whitetail with my current set up.
I'm looking into possibly adding weight to my current arrows, or possibly switching arrows all together.

Current bow is a Mathews Switchback at 70lbs.
Arrows are Carbon Express Maxima xrz, .350 spine at 28.25" length.

I've shot multiple broadheads, both fixed and mechanical. All at 100gr. I could up that weight too, but not sure if that would give the desired result either.

So, has anyone added weight to their arrows, FOC, with good results?
Yes, to get the proper balance point of the Arrow forward of center closer to the head. There used to be threaded inserts you could try before you buy all new practice and hunting heads to find out how it affects your arrow flight.
Also, will change your spine requirement, most likely to 400 with the heavier head, least ways it did for me.
I too started short light small vaned and fast only to end up the complete opposite for hunting, the speed thing is only good for 3D shooting in my estimation.
Longer arrow penetrates better, heavier arrow penetrates better, heavier broadhead busts bone better, long 5" feathers control flight better, only short-range flight is affected for drop, as range increases the heavy arrow retains speed better and will catch and pass the light arrow amid flight.
Long story short, everything improves for hunting... no guff. ;)

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, to get the proper balance point of the Arrow forward of center closer to the head. There used to be threaded inserts you could try before you buy all new practice and hunting heads to find out how it affects your arrow flight.
Also, will change your spine requirement, most likely to 400 with the heavier head, least ways it did for me.
I too started short light small vaned and fast only to end up the complete opposite for hunting, the speed thing is only good for 3D shooting in my estimation.
Longer arrow penetrates better, heavier arrow penetrates better, heavier broadhead busts bone better, long 5" feathers control flight better, only short-range flight is affected for drop, as range increases the heavy arrow retains speed better and will catch and pass the light arrow amid flight.
Long story short, everything improves for hunting... no guff. ;)
All good and true. I don’t remember what company sells them but they came back out with the threaded inserts recently, I use the 75 grain ones on my aluminum arrows with my long bow and 125 grain broadheads for a total of 200 grains up front. I’d recommend right helical fletching with those for the simple fact that you’re effectively doubling the chance of stuff unscrewing mid flight with those, other than that they work great for me. Gonna try to shoot a javelina this month with them, if it works well enough I’ll let you all know

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone I know, with the exception of my 16 year old nephew, has gone to a crossbow since Wi opened up use to everyone, provided they pay a $3 license fee.
My local archery shop sucks. They look at you like you don't belong when you walk in, and are not very helpful..

The Slick Trick look very much like the Muzzy's I have used.
If you want a really good very dialed archery shop, if you ever drive through Rogers mn stop at archery country and talk to Keith or Wade. They spent 4 hours with me each a few times making sure my insane setup was completely dialed and ready to go. Highly recommend them for anything archery related

Henry E

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think 6 grains per inch of draw length is on the light side. I try to be 10% or more heavier.
Your probably on the light side. You could try new arrows, or there are plastic insert you can slip in after pulling the nock. They may be cheaper and easier.

An head with a sharp tip and swept back blades helps with penetration. So does sharpness. I am sure you know this.
The ribs are thicker up high and so high angle shots will hit a deer in a harder to penetrate spot then a ground level shot. A broadside shot will have an easier time getting through the rib cage. Either slipping between ribs or only having to cut one rib.
Going to a 2 blade instead of a 3 or 4 blade will help with getting through the ribs also. I have gotten good results with the Magnus Stinger.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a nice compound and a recurve, but working two jobs a crossbow just makes more sense. I use 125 grain G5's with Gold Tip 425 20" arrows. At 30 yards they go through one crossbow rated archery bag and halfway into another.