Arrow weight

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
4:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the years I can't say I am super happy with the penetration I'm getting on whitetail with my current set up.
I'm looking into possibly adding weight to my current arrows, or possibly switching arrows all together.

Current bow is a Mathews Switchback at 70lbs.
Arrows are Carbon Express Maxima xrz, .350 spine at 28.25" length.

I've shot multiple broadheads, both fixed and mechanical. All at 100gr. I could up that weight too, but not sure if that would give the desired result either.

So, has anyone added weight to their arrows, FOC, with good results?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you said you have tried lots of heads but I still think that’s the most important thing for penetration. Here’s two that have gone all the way through multiple white tail shot from a 50lb recurve. The non-windowed are best. I believe these are Zwickeys. All the multi-blade and mechanical stuff is ridiculous. It’s meant to sell, and maybe do more damage internally. If you want damage, the single bevel opposed broadheads spiral in the cut and still penetrate well.

For some reason my photo won’t load. Stay tuned…

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't added any to mine. Mine are Gold Tip XT Hunters with g5 100g broadheads and come in at 360g. They are shooting at 288fps on my Bowtech Invasion maxed out at 61.8 pounds. All my kills have been complete pass throughs on double lung/heart shots.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The doe I shot this year, my hit was a bit high and forward, she turned a bit just as I released.
I got 1 lung, she went probably 75 yards total.
20231104_084416.jpg

The shot angle from 25 yards and 20' up I think is what saved me as it angled down into the lung.
The arrow got only about 12" of penetration though.

I can't for the life of me recall what arrows I was shooting from the previous bow, which was a Fred Bear, at 65lbs. Same heads, had almost all pass through though.

I was thinking of picking up some of these to see what happens
Screenshot_20231228-070557_Chrome.jpg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm old and say arrow flight is more important.
Hitting the target square is good.
Fish tailing and hitting at even a slight angle is bad.
Single sheet newspaper shoot through?
Long vein vs short vein?

There now for the modern googalistics.

Yeah I still need updated.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are big windows. The weight probably isn’t a huge issue on a powerful compound. Those heads would suck for a recurve. Still can’t upload a photo…

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been shooting the VForce by Victory arrows for years now. I use Slick Trick 100g Magnum broadheads. I WILL NOT use mechanicals. My Mission Venture is set at 60 lbs and all have been pass through’s.IMG_8593.jpeg
IMG_8594.jpeg
IMG_8595.jpeg

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Everyone I know, with the exception of my 16 year old nephew, has gone to a crossbow since Wi opened up use to everyone, provided they pay a $3 license fee.
My local archery shop sucks. They look at you like you don't belong when you walk in, and are not very helpful..

The Slick Trick look very much like the Muzzy's I have used.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used mechanical broadheads for the last 20 years. Started with the g5 Tekan. Had a problem with one that had passed through and hit a rock. g5 told me to send them all back and they replaced 9 heads with Tekan 2's. Went to the g5 T3's for a few years and am now shooting the g5 Havocs. All have shot so close to field points.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used mechanical broadheads for the last 20 years. Started with the g5 Tekan. Had a problem with one that had passed through and hit a rock. g5 told me to send them all back and they replaced 9 heads with Tekan 2's. Went to the g5 T3's for a few years and am now shooting the g5 Havocs. All have shot so close to field points.

I have had good results with the flight of the Rage hypodermic no-collar, thats what was used on the doe I pictured earlier.
I preferred them over the collared versions as I would occasionally have one blade pop out of the plastic collar. They also were horrible if trying to sneak anywhere with an arrow nocked because if you touched it to anything it would pop loose..

I probably should start with weighing an arrow to compare, as I dont know what these weigh.
Maybe just a heavier broadhead will get me where I want to be?

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put one of my arrows on the postal scale at work and it came in at .07 ounces, which converts to 306.25gr.

So, my 100gr broadheads should have me around 400gr + a bit..

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The left one probably has 7 or 8 pass-throughs. It’s not crazy heavy, just low friction. I shoot Aluminum arrows though.

You can see some gunk in the windowed one. It often has hair and other stuff in the windows after a strike. Might be my imagination, but I feel like it doesn’t fly as well either.

IMG_1554.jpeg

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The left one probably has 7 or 8 pass-throughs. It’s not crazy heavy, just low friction. I shoot Aluminum arrows though.

You can see some gunk in the windowed one. It often has hair and other stuff in the windows after a strike. Might be my imagination, but I feel like it doesn’t fly as well either.

View attachment 402911

Do you know the weight of them?
After seeing what you guys said I'm almost thinking of trying some cut on contact, heavier broadheads with my current arrows.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s very intriguing to me how many of you shoot 2 bladed broadheads. What has your experience been like after the shot?

As in how it effects flight pattern? The heads fly fine as long as I do my job right…which ain't every time. They deflect easier if they hit something mid flight, but I’m sold on the penetration.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know the weight of them?
After seeing what you guys said I'm almost thinking of trying some cut on contact, heavier broadheads with my current arrows.
Been careful adding weight on the tip, will have to make sure the spine weight of your arrows like them. Will cause a lot more flex at launch.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New school chainsaws, old school bow. 70lb High country, Easton 2419 with thunder heads, fingers. Shot through a doe once, didn’t know it was hit until she fell over. Son laughs at me, he shoots new model Matthews, expanding broad heads, releases and any new gadgets he can find. Hard to argue with his results, but I no longer care about killing them

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been careful adding weight on the tip, will have to make sure the spine weight of your arrows like them. Will cause a lot more flex at launch.

The arrows I currently have fall right in line with the useage chart (length, draw weight, spine) on the Carbon Express website. Of course there's no chart I can find for a recommended head weight.

I don't think 25gr is enough change.
I could pick up some 150gr practice/field tips and see how they fly.

Or, maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing...every time I've done my part properly, the deer was recovered in short order.