Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm very proud of my vice. It's a big crappy Chinese made hunk of crap. I've busted it twice, and repaired it both times. Why would I be so proud of a vice like that?

Well....when Glenda and I were first married, she bought me that vice for Christmas one year. More impressive is that she bought a 90lb vice at a flea market, and carried it about a 1/4 of a mile to her car.

We just had our 36th anniversary.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a picture of that giant milling vise had mentioned before .It came off a shaper I found in a scrap yard .If memory serves I had to pony up about $100 for but a new one is in excess of 2 grand .Much to my surprise unlike most of these things this one didn't have cutter marks on it caused by a machinist who wasn't paying attention .My Lord is that thing heavy .The drill press BTW is over 100 years old .Old converted line shaft machine I had to make a worm gear for but that's a different story .

Attachments

• DSC00013.jpg
    DSC00013.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 44

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was going to buy a Wilton but I see they are not made in the USA.

Not sure where they are made. I doubt all models are made in the US.

Honestly, Wilton still makes a good vice, but I would buy an old one. They have more character, typically are cheaper and have demonstrated they're durability through time.

And Wilton is a bit over rated. It's just a heavy duty clamp. There are many other brands of the same quality at a more reasonable prices. When you get into old vices there are many excellent brands (Reed, Athol/Starret, Morgan, Columbian, Yost, Parker, Record UK, Prentiss etc.) And there are junkers that still last a lifetime. You'll pay extra for the name Wilton, but you won't necessarily get extra.

It's probably more important what shape and size you will use. Throat depth, Jaw design, throw length and extra features like an anvil and swivel all factor in more than the name cast in the side.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the larger Yost ductile iron vises are still made in the US, and I believe owned by Wilton.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just finished my new shop build. I will be picking up my new 30 drawer 9 foot work bench this week. I have always wanted a bullet vise. I got other vises I could put on it but I want a bullet vise. I have been looking at the Wilton 8100M. Is that the biggest mechanics vise Wilton makes. I am sure Wilton is not the best or the cheapest but I like the look of the bullet vise. Is there anyone else who makes a bullet vise?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been a dumpster diver since I was born it seems .As a result it's very seldom of if I have it but rather where is it . I have failed miserably at being organized . As far as vices as I've said I have no idea how many I have and how many Wilton bullet vices I have just for spare parts if I ever get around to repairing a few .Some place in that tons of junk I have a footed vise that might have been in a blacksmith shop at one time to straighten out a bent horse shoe or something .It mounts to a bench with the foot on the floor .

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just finished my new shop build. I will be picking up my new 30 drawer 9 foot work bench this week. I have always wanted a bullet vise. I got other vises I could put on it but I want a bullet vise. I have been looking at the Wilton 8100M. Is that the biggest mechanics vise Wilton makes. I am sure Wilton is not the best or the cheapest but I like the look of the bullet vise. Is there anyone else who makes a bullet vise?

That should be an excellent vise. Now I'm jealous.

I recommend copper jaws. They grip much better and don't scar most metals.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That should be an excellent vise. Now I'm jealous.

I recommend copper jaws. They grip much better and don't scar most metals.
Can just use tabs of copper too from scrap

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was going to buy a Wilton but I see they are not made in the USA.

Wilton, like most USA made companies, has stuff outsourced to other countries, including Taiwan, and the real cheap bottom end stuff is China.

I bought a new bullet vise, Tradesman I believe, about 3 or 4 years ago and they were still USA made then. I'd call them and ask.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple of custom made vices...

Made bye a guy name Mr. Mad Einchina.

Work alright, I'll upgrade first chance I get!

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an older, made in USA Wilton bullet vice very similar to Mr. Duces'. Except mine doesn't have the flat working area on the back, although it may as soon as I figure out how to weld a plate there...lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a yost pipe vise a while back after breaking the outer jaw off my cheaper import one. I bought it after looking at it clamping force specs compared to other vises. It’s big, heavy and we’ll constructed it can crush about anything you’d expect a 5” vise to do with ease. My only complaint is that I wish the anvil section was harder.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I order my 8100m wilton through the local welding supply house. They say it will take 30 days to come it.

Let us know the country of origin when ya get it. That's a beast of a vise.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I'm reading it's chicom...

Not even Taiwan? I have a Wilton milling machine vise and it was made in Taiwan, but it was only a 300 dollar vise. That's an expensive vise for being made in China.