Another welder

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An old one but new/never used. Maybe picking this up Thursday or Saturday. Also comes with a length(?) of 10/3 cable. Seller sounds like he doesn't really know what exactly he is selling, possible inheritance or selling for someone else, IDK.

I have this same welder that I well be selling soon after I pick up this new one. Current welder is great and has been a work horse for me, just cannot pass up a new shiny of the same.

What's this worth? I'll post the asking price after I get a few guesses.

1724772950194.png

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really not worth much. Not really a quality brand, but the fact that it’s only AC really detracts from the value

A DC model allows you to add a scratch start TIG setup as well as bing able to run more types of quality rods.

For instance, when I was running 7018, I was pulling them from the same box I tossed them in. All were Lincoln Excalibur, but somehow 7018AC got mixed in the bunch. I couldn’t understand why I suddenly had difficulty seeing the puddle and then suddenly it was back. It was the crappy AC rod.

If you already have a working AC welder, I don’t see the reason to upgrade. In addition, the older tranny welders seem to be better built than anything newer.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
6:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one of those new or used. I have managed to get AC/DC stick welders (DC version of the Lincoln Tombstone and old Millers) for $100 -150.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with the previous comments regarding value. That machine does not have much value. Get a decent DC machine.

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Asking price is $200. I bought a Lincoln Tombstone (also $200) a few years ago and didn't find it to weld any better than the Century. Sold the Lincoln for $250 earlier this year. AC welding is fine with me. All I use is 6011 and 6013, as they do everything I ask of them (join two pieces of metal together).

1724850638272.jpeg

1724850676973.jpeg

The Century got heavy use when I welding up two of these BBQ/Smoking grates for my burn barrel converted old water tank. The other grate is 4 inches deeper to give room for the lid when smoking a Turkey or a duck.
1724850848354.jpeg

1724851038762.jpeg

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one of those new or used. I have managed to get AC/DC stick welders (DC version of the Lincoln Tombstone and old Millers) for $100 -150.

Yup, these old Transformer welders sell for cheap here also. Some do, and this one has been on CL for over a month. Nothing wrong with Forney and this could very likely be a good machine for someone on a budget.

1724851831724.png

Last edited:

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with the previous comments regarding value. That machine does not have much value. Get a decent DC machine.

I have a DC Flux Core welder. 20Amp 120V, but only good for quarter inch and less. The Century is 1 inch single pass.

JIMG

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first welder was a lincoln tombstone I picked up at a garage sale for $100. Had to load it into my girl friend's corolla as I did not have a vehicle yet. I still have it.
You can do alot with one of these simple machines. I have built multi story structures with mine.
I do different kinds of work now so I use it mostly for machinery repairs and when the mig runs out of wire on a sunday etc.IMG_0347.JPG

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first welder was a lincoln tombstone I picked up at a garage sale for $100. Had to load it into my girl friend's corolla as I did not have a vehicle yet. I still have it.
You can do alot with one of these simple machines. I have built multi story structures with mine.
I do different kinds of work now so I use it mostly for machinery repairs and when the mig runs out of wire on a sunday etc.

Agree. And not everybody can afford a several thousand $ welder. A 20+ yo AC only welder is fine with me. It's for repairs and simple fabrications and often gets used once a month and only for a few minutes.

Sloughfoot

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the urge to weld a few years back and started searching for a used AC/DC machine. Found a new barely used Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 240 a couple hours east. It had taken a fall at the dealership and was a little banged up, cooling fan was missing blades that caused one hell of a vibration. $150 a little body work and $20 fan later I think I got more than I need. It paid for itself quick on a few little fence and gate jobs.

Tim N

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn't Century a cheap Lincoln?

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't mean an inferior welder. Just cheaper to buy

I've owned both. I prefer the leads being removable, and the amperage being more adjustable on the Century vs the Lincoln. The Century has a sliding shunt to control the amperage whereas the Lincoln had hardwired fixed positions. This requires the Lincoln welder to be shut off to change the amperage, else cause some arching at the contacts. Lincoln is bigger, more marketing at times in its history, so that everybody thinks Lincoln for this style welder. And of course, they were the bigger fish and bought Century.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forney makes a decent 7018 rod that will run on AC .Lincoln or Hobart are strictly DC reverse .As for machines I have an old Marquete buzz box my dad had at my house 250 amp .At my shop an old movable core Lincoln buzz box circa 1940 that must weigh 200 pounds .A 400 amp Westinghouse DC machine I rewired for single phase with a double Pi filter,smooth as silk.Two engine driven I don't use .Hobart main line special 250 amp and a classic old Lincoln SA 200 which is so old it's a crank start .---plus 4 sets of torches ,one at the house three at the shop .

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is one of, if not the best SMAW machines made. I remember Dad buying one used in the 1970's. It is still in the shop to this day. In January 1979 we got around 2 feet of snow. Dad was pushing snow with the dozer. He misjudged where he had left his new jon boat and ripped the rear corner off it with the dozer. The neighbor had the same Lincoln machine but also had an Airco high frequency/heliarc unit for it. Wendell took many hours welding the boat back together and it never did leak.

Lincoln Welder.jpg

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is one of, if not the best SMAW machines made. I remember Dad buying one used in the 1970's. It is still in the shop to this day. In January 1979 we got around 2 feet of snow. Dad was pushing snow with the dozer. He misjudged where he had left his new jon boat and ripped the rear corner off it with the dozer. The neighbor had the same Lincoln machine but also had an Airco high frequency/heliarc unit for it. Wendell took many hours welding the boat back together and it never did leak.

View attachment 431397
Those are great. Wouldn’t want to have to move one around too much though.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to mention the P and H motor generator that will run on both 240 and 480 three phase power .It also has a flat belt pulley on one end and could be used as a power source or belted up to tractor to weld with .Only one of that kind I've ever seen .

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are great. Wouldn’t want to have to move one around too much though.

They were at or above 500 pounds bare. That is the reason they were put on carts and also came from the factory with the crane hook on the top.

I get a little bit miffed if someone calls them a Tombstone. These were the "mailboxes"

1724936557538.png

The tombstones were a good welder but no where near the quality or duty cycle. Back when the model I pictured was sold they were $1000 and the tombstones were under $200.

Last edited: