stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found an OEM NOS boot on flea bay. Got it ordered. The repair is on my dime because I pay for my own education. Besides, he is newly retired because of medical problems.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carburetor, fuel and impulse lines and carburetor boot are aftermarket. Seals are oem. The only problems I have had with AM have been seals and the occasional carburetor. AM pistons, I only use Meteor with Caber rings.
The guys I work for are usually in their 70s and 80s. They can't afford oem. They just need their saw running for firewood.

I don't want to rain on your purpose to save a few dollars. In the long run I will be surprised if the fuel and impulse line hold up.
Comparing these two aftermarket items with the OEM ones you will discover why it is far better just to stay with the OEM rubber products.
If the fuel line fails and the saw runs lean and fails from it you have not saved anyone one red cent. In the early days when the aftermarket lines
became available I bought some -- after looking and feeling them I tossed them in the trash. Just my 2 pennies. Not trying to beat you up over it.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't want to rain on your purpose to save a few dollars. In the long run I will be surprised if the fuel and impulse line hold up.
Comparing these two aftermarket items with the OEM ones you will discover why it is far better just to stay with the OEM rubber products.
If the fuel line fails and the saw runs lean and fails from it you have not saved anyone one red cent. In the early days when the aftermarket lines
became available I bought some -- after looking and feeling them I tossed them in the trash. Just my 2 pennies. Not trying to beat you up over it.
Thanks, I will never stop learning.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll throw my $.02 in the hat. What about metering level height. It doesn’t exactly explain the running foul after ten minutes. you have enough fuel for idle, but pull the trigger and she leans out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll throw my $.02 in the hat. What about metering level height. It doesn’t exactly explain the running foul after ten minutes. you have enough fuel for idle, but pull the trigger and she leans out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metering height is set to spec and the spring allows the needle to raise at 9psi.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I removed the boot and it is very soft and thin.

Now the 10 minutes makes sense to me. I couldn't figure it out when I first saw this. Is time enough to warm up the boot to make it limp. The rubber parts are just one of the places that OEM pays off and is worth the money spent.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now the 10 minutes makes sense to me. I couldn't figure it out when I first saw this. Is time enough to warm up the boot to make it limp. The rubber parts are just one of the places that OEM pays off and is worth the money spent.

True dat! :wave:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of times the if the low speed jet is not set rich enough and when you nail it the vacuum drop is not enough to pick up the main jet before it falters .Although I had one which was an 038 mag that had a little tear on the top of the boot which opened up on an up cut .I could not see it until I removed the boot .That pot licker would idle at about 2/3 throttle .That was caused by a failed annular buffer on the left side rear which the rubber had pulled away from. Again not visible until I removed it .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now the rest of the story .I got that 038 mag from Rocky J down in Florida .It was given to him and he sold it cheap .Cosmetically it looked good but whoever had it used it for a pry bar .Every shock mount was damaged and the air filter was all torn up, cover missing .It had a little scuff on the intake side of the piston, not bad though . Where I messed up was using the annular buffer from an old all metal assembly from an old 038 av .Should have used a new one . Saved me 8-10 bucks but caused me a bunch of grief .Live and learn ----that one now is my all time favorite .

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Come to think of it, when he brought the saw to me in the first place, it had a torn boot and was missing the ring that goes around the boot flange on the carburetor side. So, replace the boot, right? Wow, what a learning experience!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I recall correctly that style of boot has a ring that basically presses in place on the carb side .Keeps the boot from collapsing .There' a little trick where you use a piece of heavy string like a chalk line to pull the boot through the back plate .I'd about bet you could find it on You Tube if you didn't already know how .I think a boot is or used to be around 15-18 bucks .It's been a while since I've bought one .