Your Neck Of The Woods

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have properties up in the mountains of Northern New Hampshire. I also have an apartment building in the City in Massachusetts. Our plans were to sell the property in the City and move to the mountains.
I love Winter. I have snow-shoed out into the wilderness in the middle of winter. My wife and I enjoy sitting by a warm fire looking out at the snow outside. However, I am thinking that we may want to consolidate to a single smaller property up North and possibly have a second smaller property in a more temperate climate. I'm not a Florida type person, nor a Southwest type person. I like the hills and mountains. I'm thinking Mid-Altlantic area. I realize that area still has Winter, but it is definitely milder than Northern New Hampshire. I'm thinking Southern Pennsylvania to the Carolinas. West to Kentucky and Tennessee.
I've found that the people that live in an area are the most knowledgeable about an area, of course. What do you like and what would you recommend in your neck of the woods?

RonL

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Look into Chattanooga TN and the surrounding areas. I grew up and still live in Soddy Daisy TN which is about 20 minutes north of Chattanooga. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Is that a rural area?

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Soddy Daisy is. There are many towns within an hour of Chattanooga that are nice. Look it up. Tons of hiking , boating, hunting. Anything anyone could want. Rivers, lakes, moutains, great people.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what kind of area are you wanting ?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's rural communities all up and down the Appalachian mountains. Pick a town and ask about it.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I grew up around Knoxville, TN and have always lived in east TN. Would highly recommend looking in this area. East Knox county/Sevier County/Blount County/Jefferson county are all good places. If you want more rural move out to where I live. It an hour from anywhere!

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
West Virginia's probably the cheapest cost of living.
And the best kept secret. Handy to the big towns if you really want to go.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if i was to move where i didnt have to worry about going to work and live in a secluded place it would be towards the seneca rock dolly sods and spruce knob area

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need to decide how remote you want to be, what activities you want to participate in and what amenities are important. There are a lot of neat places along the I-81 corridor. Some are college towns, some are small cities and others are larger urban areas with good medical facilities.

Tell us what you want and we can better direct you.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
4:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
kentucky is nice to also no vehicle inspection or emissions here
just don't live near me the area economy is stagnated.
poverty line is 35% in my town.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I have ever known is Michigan.The northwestern lower peninsula is beautiful place to live close to Lake Michigan.

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm from just north of Pittsburgh. My choice would be the Smoky Mountains. Have been there 5 years in a row to ride the dragon and the other mountain roads in the area. Absolutely love it down there!!!!