White oak hazard tree removal

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A rather good sized white oak fell over in my pasture the other day. It was crowded under another tree and was heavily leaning. I knew it wasn't in great shape but didn't expect it to just fall over on a nice sunny day. I drove past it down the hill to the bottom of the pasture and when I came back up there it laid. The trunk is completely hollow for as far as I can see into it and is still attached to the ground with one side of its roots. It's Laying at about a 30 degree angle propped up by large branches. Question is, what's the proper way to dissect the tree to minimize risk of injury? I don't have any heavy equipment handy, but plenty of chainsaws.

image.jpeg

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree with the small stuff. Carefully removing the small ones supporting it, it will either lay all the way down or, as weight is lost, stand back up.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that is ugly id try warps suggestion and hook chain to it maybe can get it broke loose where it will roll to its side

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not worried about it standing up, there's not much attached to the ground, and there's virtually no rootball. i was thinking about whittling a bunch of branches off and then pushing/pulling it over.

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not worried about it standing up, there's not much attached to the ground, and there's virtually no rootball. i was thinking about whittling a bunch of branches off and then pushing/pulling it over.

There ya go.

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There ya go.

I was just making sure there wasn't a "proper" way to go about it. I wish I was closer to my father in laws farm, his telehandler would move that thing around no problem.

ny15

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My inlaws had a 25' top snap off one of their box elders this week. It ended up top down still slightly attached to the tree. I trimmed as much as I could off of it safely and then put a strap on it and pulled it over with my truck.