Country flag

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
10:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been on the bench for to long, last item is muffler mod, waiting on some mesh. Little before and after.
That turned out really nice. Looks sharp! Did you dye or paint the plastics?

Steelie90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That turned out really nice. Looks sharp! Did you dye or paint the plastics?
Dyed them, first time doing it and I was surprised how simple it was.The originals were pretty faded. The powder coat on the other hand, little more labor intensive and still have some learning to do.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been on the bench for to long, last item is muffler mod, waiting on some mesh. Little before and after.
Neat. I always thought the dyed plastic came out shinier. I kinda like the matte look. Obviously all the powder coat was a matte finish as well. You do that yourself?

Steelie90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Neat. I always thought the dyed plastic came out shinier. I kinda like the matte look. Obviously all the powder coat was a matte finish as well. You do that yourself?

Yea, I did it myself. Seems like the condition of the plastics before dye will match the end result. Newer plastics will come out shining, old faded and oxidized plastics will stay that, just black. I thought about sanding and polishing before dye but these were pretty bad. Had several cracks that I “welded” with soldering iron.
Also did an 034 and those plastics were about the same but the plastic recoil housing and tank you can see have a little more shine in the last picture. But I thinks it’s a different plastic too. Hell I’m not sure what I’m doing, having fun tho!

Powder color was jack black satin finish.

Attachments

• IMG_4732.png
    IMG_4732.png
    481.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4518.jpeg
    IMG_4518.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4516.jpeg
    IMG_4516.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4616.jpeg
    IMG_4616.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4654.jpeg
    IMG_4654.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Apparently the same markings of the Metabo 15 model have a larger rotor and did more work / Bosch 15 had a smaller rotor, although it did less work, it still burned. The only advantage is the gears with helical teeth because the Metabo is straight / Interestingly, they have the same weight

Attachments

• IMG_20240228_133132.jpg
    IMG_20240228_133132.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240228_133119.jpg
    IMG_20240228_133119.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 10

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, I did it myself. Seems like the condition of the plastics before dye will match the end result. Newer plastics will come out shining, old faded and oxidized plastics will stay that, just black. I thought about sanding and polishing before dye but these were pretty bad. Had several cracks that I “welded” with soldering iron.
Also did an 034 and those plastics were about the same but the plastic recoil housing and tank you can see have a little more shine in the last picture. But I thinks it’s a different plastic too. Hell I’m not sure what I’m doing, having fun tho!

Powder color was jack black satin finish.
Very cool. I might do that black conversion one day.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10-year-old Bosch, unfortunately the electronics burned out along with the rotor, so now it works without it

Attachments

• IMG_20240229_170237.jpg
    IMG_20240229_170237.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240229_170258.jpg
    IMG_20240229_170258.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 4

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Building a work bench for my wife for her quilting projects. She likes the rustic look of white cedar and her orders were 33" height and some custom sized drawers. The dumb arse carpenter failed in his siphoring and made the drawer rails 1/8" too proud. I had to learn all about hand planes, which I acquired from my Dad after he passed away. The chisels were mine and saw every material but wood. I needed to learn the skill of sharpening this stuff, and using them. I sand blasted the chisels and ground and honed them. Also honed the plane irons. I shaved 1/8" off 28 oak rails and only got half a dozen razor cuts on my fingers without realizing that I cut myself. So I guess I did ok with sharpening.
P1020355.JPGP1020354.JPG

Cmarti

Old Poulans make me smile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Free throw away MS 250. They strong armed the plug and stripped it. Used OEM cylinder I had, Farmertec air, clutch cover and oiler kit. needed a a fiberglass mesh repair to case below oil fill. Will be ATV saw to keep our hunting trails open. Used it today with 18 " .325 and it starts and runs well, tuned easy. It is what is is as a cutter, but light enough.

I am set up for, and do paint equipment in the barn. For this saw; Bulldog adhesion promoter, Matte light gray Rustoleum 2x (aerosol), then 2K satin urethane clear. You could go all aerosol, but can be pricey for adhesion promoter and 2K clear. Urethane gives fuel and chip resistance. Satin and matte keep it from looking like a paint finish. I enjoyed restoring old mag case poulans and stihls, but this oil stained plastic is a workout.

You guys who dye plastics, have your tried colors other than black? I like to go to original colors and decals. Rit has a color guide on mixing dyes to match a color. It would seem easier and durable route than paint. I may give it a shot on my next project.MS 250 Flywheel.jpgMS250 Clutch.jpgMS 250 Muffler.jpg

Attachments

• MS250 Clutch.jpg
    MS250 Clutch.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MS 250 Flywheel.jpg
    MS 250 Flywheel.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpgimage.jpgThis is that sweet sounding Dolmar Cc that I ran in the video thread last week. The next day I went out to run it and it was clogged up. Tank is corroded, fuel lines brittle. I put a kit in the carb, changed the fuel lines and filter so all that should be good now. We’ll see…

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 410134View attachment 410135This is that sweet sounding Dolmar Cc that I ran in the video thread last week. The next day I went out to run it and it was clogged up. Tank is corroded, fuel lines brittle. I put a kit in the carb, changed the fuel lines and filter so all that should be good now. We’ll see…
I saw the Air filter before the rest of the saw... made me do a pleasant double take. NICE that you are giving Mark a rest at BeDazzling this threads audience.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw the Air filter before the rest of the saw... made me do a pleasant double take. NICE that you are giving Mark a rest at BeDazzling this threads audience.
Since you mentioned the air filter, it should be obvious that a lot of “fines” have gotten thru over the 50-60 years this saw’s been around. I wish I had taken a pic of the intake side of the piston while I had the carb off. There wasn’t a mark on it, clean and shiny almost like new. I’ve been involved in online pissin’ contests regarding the effectiveness of a certain new saws air filter and its importance to its operation. Once you’ve seen enough of these old saws on the inside looking like new after decades of using pantyhose for an air filter you don’t get so worked up over “fines”. I could never make the person involved understand that.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark does a good job though, doesn’t he?

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since you mentioned the air filter, it should be obvious that a lot of “fines” have gotten thru over the 50-60 years this saw’s been around. I wish I had taken a pic of the intake side of the piston while I had the carb off. There wasn’t a mark on it, clean and shiny almost like new. I’ve been involved in online pissin’ contests regarding the effectiveness of a certain new saws air filter and its importance to its operation. Once you’ve seen enough of these old saws on the inside looking like new after decades of using pantyhose for an air filter you don’t get so worked up over “fines”. I could never make the person involved understand that.
Since you brought "FINES" up.... My Stihl 056 saws have frocked or screen filters. The air box sucks a lot of chips in with felling green/live trees.I see more streaks with the frocked (I believe) due to plugged filters than crud getting through. Screen filters usually have nice looking cylinders and pistons. The Missouri River is 40 miles east of me and most loggers cut the Cottonwood stumps high because of sand in the bark, (Dulls Chain) The Loggers really liked the turbo precleaner affect of the Jonsereds when they hit the Market. Gives a person something to contemplate.