What's on your bench?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fix saws for a local tree guy. You would not believe how some of them come to me.

I have offered to talk to his guys on his behalf, but he won't let me ... he is afraid to lose them!

I have asked him if even in his career if he ever did anything like that to a saw and he says no, but he won't hold them accountable.

I'm talking about things like a clutch drum broken in half and the break spring 3/4 ripped out of the saw with extensive damage to the case.

I really just don't get it!

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I fix saws for a local tree guy. You would not believe how some of them come to me.

I have offered to talk to his guys on his behalf, but he won't let me ... he is afraid to lose them!

I have asked him if even in his career if he ever did anything like that to a saw and he says no, but he won't hold them accountable.

I'm talking about things like a clutch drum broken in half and the break spring 3/4 ripped out of the saw with extensive damage to the case.

I really just don't get it!
When they are abusive to saws, they're going to be that hard on everything from clutches in vehicles. to ropes, to hand tools .....
You know the rag tag outfit when everything used on the crew shows damage and scars. I have seen crews with trucks just a couple years old or less, that appear to have rolled down a hillside, and not on it's tires.

Makes one wonder how long the outfit will survive.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes patch ups get left...

Unfortunately that wasn't the case with this one. It was a ground terminal that wouldn't fit the positive post on the battery. So he clipped it off and sent it rather than reterminal it. Can only imagine what the vibes are going to do with it. But he didn't want me to fix it. Said it was brand new.........

Steven

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finished until they drop or smash it again. Has anyone else thought Stihl's plastic is thinner and more brittle than others? Or is it just me?

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_094651245.jpg
    IMG_20220423_094651245.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Finished until they drop or smash it again. Has anyone else thought Stihl's plastic is thinner and more brittle than others? Or is just me?
They very well could. But 99.9% of my chit, saws included, is well taken care of.
I do have one saw with a cracked clutch cover. Yep a Stihl. A cheaper model, and the only HO series I own. 029 Super.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the jug finished up on the hybrid thing and bolted down with some sealer. Split cases new bearings and seals. If it works may try to do it again with some nicer cases just a trial run. Now got to do some real work.

IMG_20220423_114632523.jpg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finished until they drop or smash it again. Has anyone else thought Stihl's plastic is thinner and more brittle than others? Or is just me?
I noticed the gas tanks always seem to crack right by the rear handle when they are abused. At least on the 066/046 type saws.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think some of it is that the material is kinda thin, and those “0” series saws are getting up there in age. Plastic deteriorates with age. Kinda like the intake blocks on huskys cracking. Heat, age and vibrations just wear on stuff.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think some of it is that the material is kinda thin, and those “0” series saws are getting up there in age. Plastic deteriorates with age. Kinda like the intake blocks on huskys cracking. Heat, age and vibrations just wear on stuff.
It depends. If you have some really old stuff like 10mm 044, early 064, the foot pad area is not as reinforced as the later stuff. Yanking too hard will flex the plastic over time and fatigue them, then tank leak gas.

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna YTH24V48, regular customer of mine. Normal spring service consisting of oil and filter change, service air filter, check plugs which were still like new, set tire pressure and grease tractor, and sharpen blades. He was also complaining that it wasn't driving as well as it used to, turns out the transmission drive belt was toast. Replaced the deck belt as well as it had a few nasty cuts in it.
e420527dabe2584f855f79fa714f9f6a.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk