huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's funny though a lot of rase cars that I know of are running ceramic bearings in the front and they take a beating that's more or less the reason why I thought they be good in saw.
A v-8 is balanced. A chainsaw is not.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And speaking of chainsaws being balanced; how far OUT of balance is a chainsaw engine. Rotating assembly VS piston weight. I wonder if there is any way to utilize a “harmonic balancer” type flywheel. Should help reduce vibrations, reduce wear on bearings, no?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I
And speaking of chainsaws being balanced; how far OUT of balance is a chainsaw engine. Rotating assembly VS piston weight. I wonder if there is any way to utilize a “harmonic balancer” type flywheel. Should help reduce vibrations, reduce wear on bearings, no?
Can't answer that. I only know what I've read here

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Re: Chainsaw balance … it is less expensive to "over build" the saw than to try to correctly balance it. That is partly why they all have AV. Single cylinders are tough to balance.

Easiest to balance: Straight 6 or V-12, then V-8, V-6 and 4 generally need counter weights.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Re: Chainsaw balance … it is less expensive to "over build" the saw than to try to correctly balance it. That is partly why they all have AV. Single cylinders are tough to balance.

Easiest to balance: Straight 6 or V-12, then V-8, V-6 and 4 generally need counter weights.

This I understant. But, given the opportunity, I would prefer to reduce excess vibrations and un-controlled movement.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something I have thought about a little bit. What weighs more the top end or the complete crank assembly. By complete I mean bearings flywheel and complete clutch assembly. I would think the top end is lighter, but all I have is a bathroom scale here.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something I have thought about a little bit. What weighs more the top end or the complete crank assembly. By complete I mean bearings flywheel and complete clutch assembly. I would think the top end is lighter, but all I have is a bathroom scale here.
I think the counterweights of the crank are what balances the piston but I could be wrong

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think @MustangMike said he got more vibes with a heavier bb piston in a hybrid in another thread. Makes me think the crank is designed for a certain weight piston.

The crank HAS to be designed with a certain weight (or window of weights) in mind. Too much or too little counterbalance and the whole thing would literally vibrate apart

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An externally balanced engine will have weights on the flywheel (the flywheel is not in balance), but an internally balanced engine has counterweights to offset the weight of the rod + piston. Not sure if chainsaw flywheels are in balance or not.

Mason is correct, a heavier AM piston produced more vibes than an OEM piston (which is lighter) on a 440/460 hybrid. However, "felt" vibes can be reduced by adjustments to the AV bushings.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would guess a saw flywheel would be a neutral balance.
You cant achieve a perfect balance on a single cylinder crank that I am aware of.
You can get them pretty close at certain rpm ranges though.
Back when I was racing lawnmowers and building Tecumseh single cyl engines, they used a rotating balancer. Great at goverened 2650rpm, but left the block in a hurry at 6k.
So, I took them out. It vibrated like a paint shaker below 2500, but after that, smooth as can be. Never saw that low of rpm on the track anyway. Usual rpm range was 3300-7000 rpm most of the time.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some series of saws use the same crank with 3 different size pistons. No additional vibes...

As I said a “window of weights”. For example all 3 of the pistons sizes are 62-72 grams in weight. This means the counter balance would be averaged for 67 grams with +/- 6 grams as an allowable limit. The counter balance effectiveness will be changed by inertia of the piston moving; slower is less effective but it smoothes out in higher RPM.