High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What's on your bench?

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
MM and timing advance help but to me there still a slug, most disappointing saw I have ever owned, it was stoked when I first got it, till I ran it, @T.Roller warned me and he was right.
Back when I was an all stihl guy I was excited to run a 660 for the first time. I was horribly disappointed

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My advice on the 660 (for whatever it is worth), timing advance and muff mod … good, don't forget to remove the limiters from the carb at the same time.

I have found that many unported 660s run stronger if you leave the baffle in, just drill a 1/2 hole in the back. Then, just drill two 1/4 or 3/8" holes on the high right side of the muffler cover, as close to the seam as you can get. On many of them, removing the baffle completely kills the torque. I've even put baffles back in on some ported ones I've got. If I'm running a big saw, I want to be able to lean on it.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw T-4 sent back to me woke up a lot with a baffled muffler on it. Don't know what port work he did or did not do as I was unable to get in touch with him, but it runs just fine now. It also ran good when I got it back from him, but if you leaned on it, it died.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Wow hope that's not the case here with this one because that's exactly what I done took the baffle out and opened the outlet hole up to about the size of the deflector we will see tomorrow how it pulls... he also has a 8 pin sprocket on it may want to go back to a 7 pin

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Real cheap to test a fix, the Huztl muffs hardly cost anything. Just get one, drill a 1/2" hole in the back of the baffle, and compare it to how it currently runs.

Some ported saws will need that baffle removed, but if that cylinder is not ported, I'll bet it runs better with a modified baffle. Even the Cross MMWS cylinders did better with some baffle. That is how I discovered it, by accident.

I had what I called Asian Twins, both cylinders looked exactly the same, and the port timing was identical. One I drilled the 1/2" hole, the other I removed the baffle and opened the muffler up. When fired them up w/o B+C, I was sure the one with the opened up muffler was going to be stronger. Snappier response, and it sounded a lot meaner. But when but them both in a large round of Chestnut (Rock) Oak, the one with the open muffler fell on it's face.

So I ordered a new muffler for saw #2, and it ran so strong with it I did not want to sell it (so the guy I promised it to put money in my hand and took it). He loves it, and says it pulls real hard.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Real cheap to test a fix, the Huztl muffs hardly cost anything. Just get one, drill a 1/2" hole in the back of the baffle, and compare it to how it currently runs.

Some ported saws will need that baffle removed, but if that cylinder is not ported, I'll bet it runs better with a modified baffle. Even the Cross MMWS cylinders did better with some baffle. That is how I discovered it, by accident.

I had what I called Asian Twins, both cylinders looked exactly the same, and the port timing was identical. One I drilled the 1/2" hole, the other I removed the baffle and opened the muffler up. When fired them up w/o B+C, I was sure the one with the opened up muffler was going to be stronger. Snappier response, and it sounded a lot meaner. But when but them both in a large round of Chestnut (Rock) Oak, the one with the open muffler fell on it's face.

So I ordered a new muffler for saw #2, and it ran so strong with it I did not want to sell it (so the guy I promised it to put money in my hand and took it). He loves it, and says it pulls real hard.

Well I'll try it out tomorrow and if it does I will just try to weld it back in if I can if not then I guess I'll have to get a different muffler