What's for lunch?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But more to the point, do you want to eat it?

Back when gtg's became popular, food prep rivaled saw prep as far as time was concerned. I remember doing pot's of Chili, ribs on the smoker, brats on the fire. As that has waned, and Walt and I are rarely joined by anyone else, we've made things simple, (lazy), and just make some hot dogs. Bag of chips, couple sodas, and a bag of cookies. All we need, with little in the way of prep or clean up. But we may have taken lazy a little to far. You decide.

Little too breezy for an outdoor fire, so we head down to the shop where there is a 2 burner propane camp stove to cook on. Walt pulls out this rusty, dirty cast iron skillet from under the bench. He's scraping it with some tool and I see him spraying it with something and wiping it with a shop rag off the work bench.

What's in that can Walt?

Brake clean.

You're kidding right?

Bob, ya gotta remember who you're dealing with.

I'm well aware, believe me.

The brake clean will kill the bacteria, and the heat will take care of the rest.

It's not the bacteria that I'm worried about.

So...we had lunch and we're both still alive. Funny thing was I had gotten saw gas on my hands. And with every bite I'm smelling the hot dog thinking the worse. But we should be able to do better than that. I'm mean what's next, laying the hot dogs on the saw mufflers? So I came up with a solution. Since his Birthday is coming up next month.....

20240318_144044.jpg

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Back when gtg's became popular, food prep rivaled saw prep as far as time was concerned. I remember doing pot's of Chili, ribs on the smoker, brats on the fire. As that has waned, and Walt and I are rarely joined by anyone else, we've made things simple, (lazy), and just make some hot dogs. Bag of chips, couple sodas, and a bag of cookies. All we need, with little in the way of prep or clean up. But we may have taken lazy a little to far. You decide.

Little too breezy for an outdoor fire, so we head down to the shop where there is a 2 burner propane camp stove to cook on. Walt pulls out this rusty, dirty cast iron skillet from under the bench. He's scraping it with some tool and I see him spraying it with something and wiping it with a shop rag off the work bench.

What's in that can Walt?

Brake clean.

You're kidding right?

The brake clean will kill the bacteria, and the heat will take care of the rest.

So...we had lunch and we're both still alive. Funny thing was I had gotten saw gas on my hands. And with every bite I'm smelling the hot dog thinking the worse. But we should be able to do better than that. I'm mean what's next, laying the hot dogs on the saw mufflers? So I came up with a solution. Since his Birthday is coming up next month.....

View attachment 412551
Don't you guy's have sardines up there IMG_20240316_210408.jpg
I'd bring my own food if i were you.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a gtg but i saw a guy eat about 8 hotdogs out of a crockpot at
The Briar rabbit shooting clubhouse in ohio
We were there for a idpa competition.
A woman saw him and said honey those hotdogs are 2-3 months old i forgot to throw them out
We didn't see that guy the rest of the day he was in the bathroom.

damifino

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I love what you said here. It's the same flavor as your YouTube videos which I love. In your videos you talk about the changes in saws, the old saws, the saw owners needs and desires in a saw and your experience as a dealer. I think this is all cool info that should continue to be shared.
Maybe you or others should start a "history" thread.:D

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love what you said here. It's the same flavor as your YouTube videos which I love. In your videos you talk about the changes in saws, the old saws, the saw owners needs and desires in a saw and your experience as a dealer. I think this is all cool info that should continue to be shared.
Maybe you or others should start a "history" thread.:D
What’s his YT channel called?

damifino

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe you or others should start a "history" thread.

Afleetcomand is your partner in crime in most your videos. He also talks much about the history he has seen.:)

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What's in that can Walt?

Brake clean.

You're kidding right?

View attachment 412551
What’s your YT channel called?

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was off in another world for a bit :) AND our dinner table was the track of an excavator that lives in that building :) And TY BTW Bob , certainly a step up from the Coleman and iron pan! Still hard to beat those fires we had years past.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't you guy's have sardines up there View attachment 412555
I'd bring my own food if i were you.
Even though it's dwindling, I'll try to snap a photo of my sardine stash. I had a couple hundred tins at one point when Costco had them for ~$6/6-pack of Atlantic/Morocco

bucketofguts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am a sardine snob. Matiz by the case. Quality tined seafood is outstanding. Hard to find in good olive oil, but other oils have to do sometimes. I will have to look at Costco. Thanks for heads up! I have overnighted fresh sardines and grilled them on my Lodge Sportsman with just some good salr and Fresh crusty bread.I enjoy eating lower on the food chain more and more. I have eaten so much Wild Salmon, Tuna, Sword, ect a lonely tin of seafood is a breath of fresh air!

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What's in that can Walt?

Brake clean.

You're kidding right?

View attachment 412551
Is it ported ? what kind of meat do you use and ratio meat vs fat 50:1 or 40:1 ?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What's in that can Walt?

Brake clean.

You're kidding right?

I have been to many saw GTG's and I never did get the entire attraction to all the food stuff. I am there to run saws, talk saws, and talk about other stuff. I eat on the way home. That is why there are still choke and pukes's.

1711006005337.jpeg
1711006138051.png