trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
3:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should I use on this 2054 case? Where the case halfs meet up front there is a little seepage of oil. These are notorious for that. Havent really had all that much luck with JB, I was thinking of some gasket maker thats pliable for the vibration but resists oil and is kind of like silicone. Does it also adhere to paint or will I have to sand down the seam? Would Dirko do it? Just asking for some ideas...

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should I use on this 2054 case? Where the case halfs meet up front there is a little seepage of oil. These are notorious for that. Havent really had all that much luck with JB, I was thinking of some gasket maker thats pliable for the vibration but resists oil and is kind of like silicone. Does it also adhere to paint or will I have to sand down the seam? Would Dirko do it? Just asking for some ideas...
Yamalube Yamabond works pretty good

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never used this on a saw so maybe someone here can confirm. When we had anything at the bike shop that was problematic, Tony got me this stuff:
Permatex-The-Right-Stuff-Black-1-Minute-Gasket-Maker-7.5-OZ-85224-1.jpg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the 2054 Tom - is it a split pro-style crankcase like Stihl 044? In that case, Dirko HT would be my choice.

Right Stuff is good too - I've used that seal up several Mac 125 oil tanks. I also used it on the oil pan on my Volkswagen and the A/T
pan on my Tacoma. No leaks at all in any of those applications.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the 2054 Tom - is it a split pro-style crankcase like Stihl 044? In that case, Dirko HT would be my choice.

Right Stuff is good too - I've used that seal up several Mac 125 oil tanks. I also used it on the oil pan on my Volkswagen and the A/T
pan on my Tacoma. No leaks at all in any of those applications.
Its kind of like a hybrid between a pro saw and a clam shell. In the manufacturing process, they weld the oil tank so that it essentially is two pueces. The early ones were infamous for leaking from this weld due to the vibrations breaking the weld. I would just like to get ahold of something that would seal the leak off.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its kind of like a hybrid between a pro saw and a clam shell. In the manufacturing process, they weld the oil tank so that it essentially is two pueces. The early ones were infamous for leaking from this weld due to the vibrations breaking the weld. I would just like to get ahold of something that would seal the leak off.
If it's just oil exposure, I'd definitely say the Right Stuff. I'm not totally sure it's fuel safe.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the sealants that have been mentioned will be fine as it’s just oil. My preference would be either Dirko HT Red (though stihl have replaced it with “pactan) or Yamabond 4 - Yamabond Is less noticeable being grey on (what I presume is?) grey, easier to use and doesn’t smell like acetic acid. work time is longer, but both should still sit for 24 hours at room temp.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put Dirko grey on it but the case is actually red. I aint running a beauty pagent with my saws! Lol. This is strictly a work saw. And its just a little bit of oil for now, some of em really weep some oil...
haha all good. You’ll be fine!