Walbro hd

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok all tho I've ran with the Walbro hd17a carbs on the 044s and ms440s I'm thinking about putting the Walbro hd14a on a 044 and was wondering what the difference in vantery size?sorry for the miss spelling.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
440/460 carbs
2fbe3d5df7789e451569a87c0db89b4c.jpg

Carb #, main jet, fixed jet.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok all tho I've ran with the Walbro hd17a carbs on the 044s and ms440s I'm thinking about putting the Walbro hd14a on a 044 and was wondering what the difference in vantery size?sorry for the miss spelling.
The only difference is the main jet size as pointed out above.

The HD50 461 carb is supposed to have a better intermediate circuit-I personally haven’t noticed a difference.

I’d get a set of micro drills and drill out the jet you have slowly. It threads right out and is quite simple to do. You don’t even have to fully remove the carb, just slide it back and pull the metering cover.

FWIW, see where the H screw is at now tuned correctly. If it’s under 50*F, you are less than 1000’ above sea level and you are under 1.5 turns out, I’d leave it alone. Once it gets hot out and/or you go to a higher elevation, you will need to lean the H out. Too big a jet and that won’t happen. These carbs feed the main nozzle via a fixed and adjustable circuit. The jet feeds the fixed circuit and if you go too big, the adjustable circuit will stop working.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only difference is the main jet size as pointed out above.

The HD50 461 carb is supposed to have a better intermediate circuit-I personally haven’t noticed a difference.

I’d get a set of micro drills and drill out the jet you have slowly. It threads right out and is quite simple to do. You don’t even have to fully remove the carb, just slide it back and pull the metering cover.

FWIW, see where the H screw is at now tuned correctly. If it’s under 50*F, you are less than 1000’ above sea level and you are under 1.5 turns out, I’d leave it alone. Once it gets hot out and/or you go to a higher elevation, you will need to lean the H out. Too big a jet and that won’t happen. These carbs feed the main nozzle via a fixed and adjustable circuit. The jet feeds the fixed circuit and if you go too big, the adjustable circuit will stop working.
Thanks beat you to it I used a jet reamer lol darn thing was 2 and 3/4 turns out when I first got it running now it's ruffly one and 3/4 much better than before.