Using a degree wheel

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
7:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
www.amazon.co.uk/SDS-Chuck-Adapter-Converts-Normal/dp/B004CLKVG6

Well this thing is described as having a female thread in the back of it.

upload_2017-7-6_7-52-43.png

(Or I'm I being plain stupid here (i.e. my default condition)....do all/most regular 1/2 drill chucks have a female thread of them? Hmm..... pretty sure that the chuck that I fitted to my pillar drill was actually a taper fit joint.... (*scratches head*))

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
www.amazon.co.uk/SDS-Chuck-Adapter-Converts-Normal/dp/B004CLKVG6

Well this thing is described as having a female thread in the back of it.

View attachment 77095

(Or I'm I being plain stupid here (i.e. my default condition)....do all/most regular 1/2 drill chucks have a female thread of them? Hmm..... pretty sure that the chuck that I fitted to my pillar drill was actually a taper fit joint.... (*scratches head*))
Most common chucks are threaded. I would also look for a keyless chuck, no fiddling with a key and usually they are cheaper.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. Never bought one separate from a drill before...but presumably they can be obtained with a suitable threaded hole inorder to bolt down the wheel.
Here ya go @MattG, this is my setup. I just opened the hole in the degree wheel up with a reamer until it fit the stem that came with the chuck. Chuck was the cheapest 1/2" keyless I could find on Amazon, I think it was $5.00
IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2509.JPG

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here ya go @MattG, this is my setup. I just opened the hole in the degree wheel up with a reamer until it fit the stem that came with the chuck. Chuck was the cheapest 1/2" keyless I could find on Amazon, I think it was $5.00
View attachment 77124 View attachment 77125
Hoorah!

Thanks Magic Man,

And I googled and eventually (using "timing disc" NOT "degree wheel") found a UK-based shop to sell me the wheel aswell (was previously gonna glue a printout to a cutting wheel). So I now have no excuses for getting my sh!t together and timing my 44/460 project (eventually).

(If you are still interested Joe @jb-chainsaws https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RX1359 )

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hoorah!

Thanks Magic Man,

And I googled and eventually (using "timing disc" NOT "degree wheel") found a UK-based shop to sell me the wheel aswell (was previously gonna glue a printout to a cutting wheel). So I now have no excuses for getting my sh!t together and timing my 44/460 project (eventually).

(If you are still interested Joe @jb-chainsaws https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RX1359 )

*s-word you've shot down my excuse now too! Looks like I'm going to have to stop being a lazy sum'bich and start playing with timing more