Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wondering why someone hasn't come up with a different coil and recoil setup to make a straight shaft trimmer turn the same rotation as a curved shaft?

Even though you stand closer to the trimmer head on a curved shaft rig, there's a lot less clippings thrown at you. Seems like an easy fix for a manufacturer.

Or am I alone in this thought? I've tried switching sides but it's just too awkward.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They have I believe. One of the most annoying downsides for me when I when from Solo to Stihl in trimmer/Kombi units was the trimmer head direction. The Solo kept debris out of your face, the Stihl punishes you.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The following are some procedures and observations on what we believe to be the best methods of handling straight shaft trimmers.

1) Most straight shaft trimmers spin their string counter clockwise. As a result, when these trimmers are used to trim against a wall, they cut through the grass much more cleanly and efficiently when moved along said wall from right to left. This forces most right handed operators to either twist their upper body toward the wall or walk sideways or backwards while trimming clockwise around a building.

2) The more efficient and safer way to trim from right to left is to trim left handed. [Left hand on throttle, right hand on handle.] This allows the operator to walk straight ahead (instead of sideways or backwards) with his right shoulder closest to the wall and holding the trimmer across his waist with his arms fully extended. This method substantially reduces fatigue.

And if you train new operators this way from the beginning, it’s easy. Even experienced operators can “follow the edge”, even if they continue to edge and trim right-handed. However it’s still much more productive when the trimmer is operated left-handed.
HeadOnView_large.jpg

https://edgit.com/blogs/news/10322149-following-the-edge

This is why I trim left handed.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Husqvarna Pro Battery series allows the operator to have the head rotate in either direction.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The following are some procedures and observations on what we believe to be the best methods of handling straight shaft trimmers.

1) Most straight shaft trimmers spin their string counter clockwise. As a result, when these trimmers are used to trim against a wall, they cut through the grass much more cleanly and efficiently when moved along said wall from right to left. This forces most right handed operators to either twist their upper body toward the wall or walk sideways or backwards while trimming clockwise around a building.

2) The more efficient and safer way to trim from right to left is to trim left handed. [Left hand on throttle, right hand on handle.] This allows the operator to walk straight ahead (instead of sideways or backwards) with his right shoulder closest to the wall and holding the trimmer across his waist with his arms fully extended. This method substantially reduces fatigue.

And if you train new operators this way from the beginning, it’s easy. Even experienced operators can “follow the edge”, even if they continue to edge and trim right-handed. However it’s still much more productive when the trimmer is operated left-handed.
HeadOnView_large.jpg

https://edgit.com/blogs/news/10322149-following-the-edge

This is why I trim left handed.

I have tried left handed trimming many times before, just because of the reasons you mentioned. It just seems inconvenient to do so. I have 4 straight shaft trimmers and a couple of curved shaft ones too. The curved shaft ones get the nod for small jobs when I don't feel like wearing long sleeves and pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After getting my first straight shaft last year and eating *s-word all season I followed the correct guidelines of operation and boy talk about night and day difference lol.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had a curved shaft to know they turned the opposite way. My Echo 225 has served me well. Just need a new head now. It's 7 years old and doesn't feed all the time.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had a curved shaft to know they turned the opposite way. My Echo 225 has served me well. Just need a new head now. It's 7 years old and doesn't feed all the time.
I just got me a.speed feed 450 head and run the Oregon Gator line the stuff that comes in the grey packaging and the dam string keeps melting in to the spool.

nosurprise87

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just got me a.speed feed 450 head and run the Oregon Gator line the stuff that comes in the grey packaging and the dam string keeps melting in to the spool.
Try flipping the spool ring over.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you remember what way you had up the r or the L?

nosurprise87

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
L I think, looking at the head from the bottom when you wind the string in you want the bottom of the head to wind to the right that means that the ring at the top will be turning counter clockwise.

nosurprise87

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You probably know that once you get it working properly you don't have to remove the bottom cover or take the spool out to load the string

nosurprise87

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Correction the R goes up the L should be visible from bottom. Roll line up turning the scalloped dial counter clockwise

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huh, I didn't even know that there are trimmers that spin clockwise! o_O

All 2-stroke trimmers I have/had so far turn counterclockwise.
The few others that I encountered including AC electric and curved shaft trimmer all turned CCW as well.

Are the CW turning trimmers a market specific thing?