Tried Something New

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an 026 Pro that has been with me for a long time. Always really liked this saw. Since day one, had a 16" .325 pitch bar and chain.
I've been wondering how it would do with a 20" bar simply because I would like a lightweight saw with a little more reach so I don't have to bend over so far. No intentions at all for cutting big wood.............. just for cutting small stuff and cleaning up brush and bushes around the yard.

I bought a new clutch drum and sprocket for 3/8 pitch chain and threw a 20" bar on with a 3/8 .050 chain.

Man.............. I was really impressed!
I was cutting some 16"-18" dry white oak today and it did way better than I expected! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a powerhouse that will run with my built 462, but it was a LOT better than I thought it would be.

Gonna use this a lot from here on out!

Now I have a couple 16" bars and a bunch off .325 pitch chains for sale!! LOL

Greasy Fingers

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an 026 Pro that has been with me for a long time. Always really liked this saw. Since day one, had a 16" .325 pitch bar and chain.
I've been wondering how it would do with a 20" bar simply because I would like a lightweight saw with a little more reach so I don't have to bend over so far. No intentions at all for cutting big wood.............. just for cutting small stuff and cleaning up brush and bushes around the yard.

I bought a new clutch drum and sprocket for 3/8 pitch chain and threw a 20" bar on with a 3/8 .050 chain.

Man.............. I was really impressed!
I was cutting some 16"-18" dry white oak today and it did way better than I expected! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a powerhouse that will run with my built 462, but it was a LOT better than I thought it would be.

Gonna use this a lot from here on out!

Now I have a couple 16" bars and a bunch off .325 pitch chains for sale!! LOL
Just last week I put in new seals and did a general go over on it and opened the muffler up pretty good on my 026 and
Had a new 20” .325 bar and chain kicking around and also threw a 8 pin sprocket on it and it screams right along no problem using it for its intended purpose.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I laugh a bit when I hear that the 026 and MS260 won't pull a 20" bar. My setup isn't 3/8" though... and I am not a professional running saws for my livelihood.

I goofed a several years ago and bid on a windsor bar on Ebay that I didn't really need. I thought it was a mcculloch 20" bar... I was still learning bar mount patterns and such. Bar was a stihl mount, .325 20".

I later obtained an MS260 carcass from an arborist's parts heap, and proceeded to go through it and complete it. Once it was together, I needed a bar to run on it. I tried that windsor bar on the powerhead and it felt nice and relatively balanced to me.

I've had that bar on that saw for 3 years now, and it has become my "go-to" small saw. It seems to oil well enough, I can bury the bar and it will pull it as long as I don't lean on it, and I have just a bit more reach when limbing things out.

My only real complaint, is it seems to throw chains easier than anything else I've run, with that 20" .325.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a burnt 261c, replaced the piston and cylinder, put a 3/8 sprocket and 20" bar with skip chain...for the fun of it and it is fun,!!

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with a 20" bar on the 026 platform. I had an pro I used that way in 3/8 until I sold it. Wasn't disappointed in the least but to me the 60cc platform is ideal w/20" so I keep an 16" on my 026 as I have an 034 and 036 W/20" I use a lot.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 20 inch 3/8 on all saws from 026 to 660. It makes life simple. The 026 is a dynamo and handles it fine as long as the operator pays attention.