Todays snag

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up this minty 288 in NC. Got a chance to run it yesterday I see what the hype is all about. Makes my picker stick out just a little
7601359659acc89a34ffb33bc96d2294.jpg
3a3e0e91d6174af73564ef657a9a6850.jpg
12fff34179db708816a343af16b210c5.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HELP, having trouble with a Stihl 046. Guy said the recoil broke so he did not run it for about 6 months. Said compression is good (and it feels it). I figure bad gas and needs fuel filter. Then he tells me he shot either in it and can't get it to pop. Figure must be the spark.

The air filter looks OK, so I pull the plug. It is shot, gap way too wide and the screw thing on the end is stripped. So I replace the plug and pour a little fuel into the carb and still no pop. So I replace the coil … same. I pull the flywheel, it did not strip the key, and the magnet seems strong. Still no pop.

I'm thinking maybe the switch is shorting out??? Anyone else have any ideas? This one is stumping me. Any advice appreciated.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HELP, having trouble with a Stihl 046. Guy said the recoil broke so he did not run it for about 6 months. Said compression is good (and it feels it). I figure bad gas and needs fuel filter. Then he tells me he shot either in it and can't get it to pop. Figure must be the spark.

The air filter looks OK, so I pull the plug. It is shot, gap way too wide and the screw thing on the end is stripped. So I replace the plug and pour a little fuel into the carb and still no pop. So I replace the coil … same. I pull the flywheel, it did not strip the key, and the magnet seems strong. Still no pop.

I'm thinking maybe the switch is shorting out??? Anyone else have any ideas? This one is stumping me. Any advice appreciated.
Did you remove the kill wire from the coil and test?

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

How's the intake boot?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you remove the kill wire from the coil and test?

No, but good idea, thanks. Will do that before I replace the switch.

I think if I have compression and spark, I should get a pop no matter what after pouring a bit of fuel directly in.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, but good idea, thanks. Will do that before I replace the switch.

I think if I have compression and spark, I should get a pop no matter what after pouring a bit of fuel directly in.
Did you put it in the sparkplug hole or the intake? I get better results pouring it right in the plug hole. Pistol grip oil can with mix in it works great.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not pull the muffler because the compression feels good.

Have seen numerous saw's that "felt" like they had compression and did not. It's just easier to pop the muffler and find out what is going on.
Here's a collapsed ring that still felt good. Saw had all kinds of brand new parts put on it before it came to me and still would not run.
IMG_20180527_132119915_LL.jpg