DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After Makita took over Dolmar's distribution early 2015, here in Germany Dolmar products have
disappeared form many DIY superstores and a good deal of long term Dolmar dealers
have dropped the brand and turned the husky road.

So here in Germany it still isn't exactly clear, which direction Dolmar will take, any way
the company as such no longer exists, former Dolmar GmbH is Makita Engineering Germany GmbH
sine late 2015 and Dolmar since then is only a mere brand of Makita Europe in Bruxelles.

And rumors go (based on a the Business Report of Makita Engineering) that no more
2-stroke motor products will be developed but rather that Makita and its brands will focus
on accu powered products mainly.

Around here, none of the existing Dolmar dealers have switched over to Makita to my knowledge. Everything I have seen indicates that they have instead converted their former Dolmar shelf space and inventory to Stihl, Husky, or Echo. The Makita dealer locator on their website is a joke. It only shows Home Depot and a few rental places as dealers, including one HD location that has been out of business for years. Way to go Makita, you've managed to make your OPE presence even smaller than it used to be!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around here, none of the existing Dolmar dealers have switched over to Makita to my knowledge.
Sad to take 2 good names and under-promote both. I have seen some Dolmar dealers carry the Makita branded saws, but that is different than promoting them. @fordf150 does a good job with them in Ohio, and from his website.

Philbert

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sad to take 2 good names and under-promote both. I have seen some Dolmar dealers carry the Makita branded saws, but that is different than promoting them. @fordf150 does a good job with them in Ohio, and from his website.

Philbert

Give him a ring and ask him about how he feels about Makita. All I can say is they are shooting them selves in the foot with a howitzer.

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now would I be right in assuming this is the same as Maruyama 3100?

Apparently so. Not surprising, given that most Maruyama saws are rebadged Makitas.
Can we expect a Makita or Dolmar backhandle version? In Maruyama colors they already exist.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stripped it down and done a muffler mod got rid of the limiter caps
Retuned and it’s running better but not as well as a ps-32

There’s not a Torx stud in sight all Allen heads or posy drive

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s not a Torx stud in sight all Allen heads or posy drive

In addition to this:

I have being digging a little deeper into the Maruyama MCV3100 question.

On www.dolmar.de now the IPLs of the new products are finally available for download, including
PS352, PS550 and the new PS311.
There are interesting things to discover, mainly: All three new chainsaws use entirely different
numbering schemes for their spare parts.

PS550 follows the traditional Dolmar numbering where part numbers consist of 3 triplets of 3 digits.
This is how Dolmar spares have been designated for decades.
PS352 parts are numbered following the Makita scheme: 6 digits, followed by a hyphen followed by a final digit or character.

And the PS311 once more differs in that most of its spares are numbered "MR" followed by 8 digits. Does "MR"
denote Maruyama?
Regarding the PS352 I have information, that it wasn't designed by the engineers in Hamburg in the Dolmar factory but rather
came straight from Japan. The PS550 however seems to be developed by the Hamburg team, its technical affinity with the PS6100
is obvious. The numbering of the new PS311 suggests a third party as the source of the construction.

Just my thinking, after all ....

Last edited:

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be worth getting I’ve had a few people asking about the back handle

Funny, for years the model shipped in real small numbers, now its gone, people start asking for it.
BTW. Must remember to try to find me one of the very last 115 this month, according to my dealer its supplies are
already sold out.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In addition to this:

I have being digging a little deeper into the Maruyama MCV3100 question.

On www.dolmar.de now the IPLs of the new products are finally available for download, including
PS352, PS550 and the new PS311.
There are interesting things to discover, mainly: All three new chainsaws use entirely different
numbering schemes for their spare parts.

PS550 follows the traditional Dolmar numbering where part numbers consist of 3 triplets of 3 digits.
This is how Dolmar spares have been designated for decades.
PS352 parts are numbered following the Makita scheme: 6 digits, followed by a hyphen followed by a final digit or character.

And the PS-311 once more differs in that most of its spares are numbered "MR" followed by 8 digits. Does "MR"
denote Maruyama?
Regarding the PS352 I have information, that it wasn't designed by the engineers in Hamburg in the Dolmar factory but rather
came straight from Japan. The PS550 however seems to be developed by the Hamburg team, its technical affinity with the PS6100
is obvious. The numbering of the new PS311 suggests a third party as the source of the construction.

Just my thinking, after all ....

Yes I think your pretty much spot on , I was told in 2016 that there where many Japanese technicians visiing Hamburg and Ratlingen and many of your fellow technicians visiting Japan at the time the ps-352 was being designed it was realised in blue a long time before it was sent out in Dolmar livery

Did you notice on the ps-311 it has white lettering

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny, for years the model shipped in real small numbers, now its gone, people start asking for it.
BTW. Must remember to try to find me one of the very last 115 this month, according to my dealer its supplies are
already sold out.

Yes I know it’s a sad day it has too be the longest running production saw
I’ve got one booked

It would be nice if the last 200 off the production line where 115iH
In jet Black