MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the PM 10-10 running today after a lot of monkeying around.First I had to put another module on & the old module didn't want to give up it's plug wire.Usually I can just twist the wire out of the module by hand,on this one I had to use a pliers to twist it out.Then the recoil decided to fall apart.I took it apart completely to find out what was going on.The little bolt that holds the pulley to the spindle was the culprit.I tightened it back up &all was good,but the 3 screws that hold the recoil cover on werretoo easy to loosen,which tells me that someone was into that recoil previously,& that screw may not be the correct one.The other thing that kinda perplexed me was in order for the saw to run I had to turn both lo & hi screws out considerably - 2 1/2 on each.I think I'll need to pull the carb for a cleaning & rebuild.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2-1/2 on H and L sounds like you may have an air leak. PTO side seal is a good place to start, especially if someone has run the saw without the thrust washer between the drum and the seal. Way too easy to get something into that seal and cut it without the washer.

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2-1/2 on H and L sounds like you may have an air leak. PTO side seal is a good place to start, especially if someone has run the saw without the thrust washer between the drum and the seal. Way too easy to get something into that seal and cut it without the washer.

Mark
Yeah,it did have some air leak symptoms,so I guess seals are in order.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the seals pulled earlier,then it started raining again just as I finished,so I called it quits for the day.I'm getting low on the 67906 seals,only one left,so I ordered some from "The Duke".The 67906 seals I have on hand don't have the smaller counterpart 110260.Is a SKF 6119 it's equivalent? BTW,this was the first time that I extracted the clutch side seal without pulling the oil tank off & breaking tyhe engine in half.Not so bad if ya can get under that thin lip to start lifting it.I just used a screwdriver.On the FW side seal I used to drill a hole & screw in a drywall screw & put a vise grips on it to lift it out.I just happened to see a nail set laying on my table & thought that'd work.Sure enough it did,it popped a hole in the seal & I was able to screw in the drywall screw..

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the seals pulled earlier,then it started raining again just as I finished,so I called it quits for the day.I'm getting low on the 67906 seals,only one left,so I ordered some from "The Duke".The 67906 seals I have on hand don't have the smaller counterpart 110260.Is a SKF 6119 it's equivalent? BTW,this was the first time that I extracted the clutch side seal without pulling the oil tank off & breaking tyhe engine in half.Not so bad if ya can get under that thin lip to start lifting it.I just used a screwdriver.On the FW side seal I used to drill a hole & screw in a drywall screw & put a vise grips on it to lift it out.I just happened to see a nail set laying on my table & thought that'd work.Sure enough it did,it popped a hole in the seal & I was able to screw in the drywall screw..
6119 or 6120 will work.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to buy my seals from MRO Supply at a fairly reasonable,if not cheap price,right around $5 for a 6119.I went on their site yesterday & almost fell out of my chair as I saw it listed for over $18! Needless to say,I searched around & found the 6119 seal on Rock Auto for just under $5.With shipping I paid a hair over $5 ea.Now if Rock Auto can sell them for that price,why the hell can't MRO Supply?

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to buy my seals from MRO Supply at a fairly reasonable,if not cheap price,right around $5 for a 6119.I went on their site yesterday & almost fell out of my chair as I saw it listed for over $18! Needless to say,I searched around & found the 6119 seal on Rock Auto for just under $5.With shipping I paid a hair over $5 ea.Now if Rock Auto can sell them for that price,why the hell can't MRO Supply?
MRO might have to reconsider their pricing policy now that you let the Cat out of the BAG.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I think I toasted my PM 10-10 engine today.I put new crank seals in & put the saw back together,fueled it up & began pulling.I'd set the carb settings back to a more conventional setting - 1 1/2 turns out on each.The saw wouldn't fire,so I set the needles back to the rich setting & it fired up.It only ran for about 1 min.& I noticed it was getting hot & it shut itself down.I tried pul;ling it over but it was hot & it had started to seize.I pulled the plug & sprayed some Deep Creep into the cylinder to give it some lube.I drained the fuel & pulled it over & it fired briefly.The saw pulls over OK,but I don't trust it.Apparently I can't even do seals right.Now I'm looking for another short block.

Sloa

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
good afternoon from north of 55. I connected with Terry Ives. Thank the heavens so happy. Still having flurries in the morning so sealing tank a couple weeks away and parts arrival from Terry should coincide. I’ve picked up three sets of oversized rings with original on saw being .093 end gap. Very low compression saw. Standard bore with minimal wear. Piston in great shape. So will proceed with fitting new rings. J.J and Lee have both stated end gaps and procedures in threads I have read. Will first try as Mark explained with small flat file and drag and check. Drag one side square flip do other side check.Lee stated.061 and service literature says 51 to 97. That is a wide range. Thoughts.super 797
I have not dial bored cylinder but have run ring up and down for taper and out of round.

Last edited:

Sloa

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good evening, I have spent a lot of time preparing to assemble engine and not a lot on the saw assembly as a whole. How on split tank saws (740,790,795,797) is it done. Logistics. Could I use an outside bladder until satisfactory and do final tug down and seal. If anyone remembers a thread concerning this or wants to state again I am very interested.

natorade89

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any of you fellers know of someone making a full wrap for a PM700? It's quickly become my favorite powersaw, it's just missing half the handle and she'd be just perfect. Any help would be very appreciated.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First guy has never heard of kickback or chain coming off due to twisting it out of the groove. Second guy seems to enjoy the possibility of cut branches hitting him in the face. All the others seem to like an eyeful of chips. But, I have been guilty of all of those things and I will admit my safety habits need improvement!