MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took a couple of saws out to the wood pile to test auto oilers.First was the 10-10S & it seems to be working just fine.
Next was the PM 700 which only the manual oiler worked.I took the oil tank cover off & found an allen head cap screw & a washer just laying there.At first I couldn't figure out where it came from,then I looked at the upper portion of the tank & saw it had come out of the fuel tank where the two tanks are held together.I put it back in & still don't know how it ever came out,it screwed back in rather tightly.The screw that holds the oil pump in place was a bit loose,so I tighterned it back up & put the cover back on the tank.It was a no go,so I'll have to pull the pump off & see what's going on.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took a couple of saws out to the wood pile to test auto oilers.First was the 10-10S & it seems to be working just fine.
Next was the PM 700 which only the manual oiler worked.I took the oil tank cover off & found an allen head cap screw & a washer just laying there.At first I couldn't figure out where it came from,then I looked at the upper portion of the tank & saw it had come out of the fuel tank where the two tanks are held together.I put it back in & still don't know how it ever came out,it screwed back in rather tightly.The screw that holds the oil pump in place was a bit loose,so I tighterned it back up & put the cover back on the tank.It was a no go,so I'll have to pull the pump off & see what's going on.
I think I've found at least 5 of the Allen head screws loose in oil tanks of my 10 series saws.
I've sprayed out 3 or 4 oil pumps to get them working, high end kerosene has worked for me twice also.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today I dug out my 1st 7-10A that I bought about 6 yrs.ago.I haven't fired this saw up in probably 5 or 6 yrs.I was surprised to see that I'd put a 24 in.bar & brand new chain on it.I fueled it up & pulled it over about 8 times & it fired.The next pull had it running like it had never been put away that long.That was the only good thing that happened today,everything else went downhill from there,Lol.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today I dug out my 1st 7-10A that I bought about 6 yrs.ago.I haven't fired this saw up in probably 5 or 6 yrs.I was surprised to see that I'd put a 24 in.bar & brand new chain on it.I fueled it up & pulled it over about 8 times & it fired.The next pull had it running like it had never been put away that long.That was the only good thing that happened today,everything else went downhill from there,Lol.

7-10 without a brake and pm60 have to be my two favorite 10 series. Both very snappy, light saws.

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So this one popped up overnight on the bay, I made a pretty low offer that was accepted. Shows 46cc on the recoil decal, but the actual model decal shows 55cc. They claim it will run but won't stay running. Hoping the the top end is okay, if not I may be looking for parts if you have any left over. Super clean otherwise.View attachment 416080View attachment 416081View attachment 416082

So the saw showed up a couple days ago, ended up needing nothing more than the carb set correctly. Looks like very little use and still in near new condition. Runs very well now, almost too nice to take out and cut with it.20240420_140815.jpg20240420_140829.jpg

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bob changed my "Yellow" perception with a gift. A Pro Mac 60. And the FIRST good running yellow saw since my 797 years back that went to a person here years and years ago. TO make it more useful ( the pro mac 60 ) I needed a longer bar. So here is the march towards a solution. Sorry for the train content, for my other channel I collect video. WHILE waiting often I do saw stuff on the tail gate. Sharpen chains, set them up for the next task.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I met up with a neighbor of mine a few weeks ago & I told him that I repaired older chainsaws as a hobby.He said he had some of his dad's old saws & would like to get them back in running condition again.Today he stopped by with a Mac 610 that's in remarkable condition.He says it probably hasn't run in 10-15 yrs.,maybe longer.I'll go through it tomorrow & see what it needs.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh what a mess that 610 was inside.I've never seen this happen before,but the spring in the plug boot was completely rusted into pieces.I had to change the plug wire & in order to do that I needed to take the fan housing off.Three out of the four screws came out with some heat & a few sharp raps,but the smallest screw on the bottom by the handle was quite stubborn.I had to wait for my son to get home from work & have him use his drill/driver to get that one out.Once opened up,the saw was just filled with old sawdust & oil.It took me more time to clean the saw than it did for the repairs.I took the clutch cove/brake off & the muffler shield fell on the driveway,the screw was gone.There was also a missing screw on the skid plate.Amazingly I didn't have to pull the cartb for a rebuild..I got it back together & it firerd right up.I talked the owner into upgrading from a hardnose bar to a sprocket tip & a new chain.The chain that was on the saw was too long & was about half worn out..I'll get pics of it when it stops it's danged raining here.

Sloa

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Afternoon, looking for testimony . Would someone know what full wraps would be compatible with a s797. Would a 1-60 or any 1 series.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the PM 10-10 today around 6:00 p.m.I did go through it quickly & found that it has no spark,just as the seller said.It has 2/3 of a sawdust screen,the chain brake was inoperable,& the muffler looks like it needs to be replaced.I did get the chain brake working again (I think).It does have decent compression though.

Sloa

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1296.pngimage.jpgGood morning, I am looking for some understanding. Shout out to Leon’s McCulloch ipl literature collection. Believe this to be an April 1969 super. My assumption is based on coil and the different leads after following complete comparison of ipl’s. But this carb was on 797 not super , so looking at ipl for 797 there is a gas overflow that flows to box with absorber. What does it look like, what is made of. Did it work as intended. My air box is sealed and appears that part was never installed.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one is missing the 58865 absorber but I think you get the idea. Since there is good amount of "spitback" from these saws in operation, the idea was to collect the fuel droplets and reintroduce them to the carburetor via the hose.

DSCN0818.jpg

Some collectors like this were stamped aluminum like the photo above, others were flexible plastic.

1714146867641.png

Later saws (&xx and 8XX models), particularly those with the Tillotson HL carburetors were not fit with the collector.

1714147029486.png

Mark

Last edited:

Sloa

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one is missing the 58865 absorber but I think you get the idea. Since there is good amount of "spitback" from these saws in operation, the idea was to collect the fuel droplets and reintroduce them to the carburetor via the hose.

Some collectors like this were stamped aluminum like the photo above, others were flexible plastic.

View attachment 417525

Later saws (&xx and 8XX models), particularly those with the Tillotson HL carburetors were not fit with the collector.

View attachment 417526

Mark
Was i backwards in my thinking, it circulated back in to carb. I thought it might expel through hose and soak felt or material and you would ring out occasionally. Collector I acquired came from a 795 parts lot and believed it was particular to air governed saws. Did it work as intended or does it take up space with no benefit.

Last edited:

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't really say if they worked as intended or not...saws seem to run pretty much the same if the hose is present or not. Since they dropped them on later production saws, I would say they discovered they just were not necessary.

Mark