MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well,I just bought another PM700 fairly cheap ($145).The last 700 I bought 5 yrs.ago was for $45 (whew,talk about inflation,Lol).It looks like it may be missing the sawdust screen,but I'm sure I have one here in the garage.It's definitely missing the recoil rope.I have another recoil off my other 700 that had a broken screw in it,but I managed to get that out last summer.I know nothing about compression or spark at this point.just another fixer upper..It looks cosmetically in pretty good shape.I'll be posting pics after I get it next week.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My two 700's were freebies .One was froze up tighter than a bulls butt at fly time .A lot of kerosene and about a week I had it freed up . Repaired the recoil rebuilt the carb and cut wood . You have to really work at it to kill a McCulloch .

JRHAWK9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any replacement air filters for the 10-10S that are better than the OEM flocked ones? Those flocked ones don't seem to be all that great. If not, what are some good replacements to the OEM ones?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those type air filters are not the best design .I think somebody is making after market which I've never tried .Danged flat filters don't filter very well so as such it's not uncommon to see the piston skirts on the intake side are worn down .However even with that it doesn't seem to affect them much .

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm making this a Jenn Feng week, this Timber Bear 849 had very little use, cleaned up pretty nicely. Interesting that the Jenn Feng models I've worked on so far all use a K095 bar mount. I had a few NOS McCulloch bars in .325 with the K095 mount and never knew just when/where/why they went that route. Now I have an idea anyway.

The starter side says 55cc, and the clutch side has the Timber Bear 849 decal.

View attachment 413784

View attachment 413785

This one had a major issue during testing at Oregon.

View attachment 413787

Several years ago Bob Johnson gave me three NOS short blocks in a chassis, before this week I did not know what saw they were. It turns out they were the 49cc version of these models (thanks to Max for that information). If I follow the IPL's correctly there were 46, 49, and 55 cc versions of these. I'm guessing the Timber bear was actually the 49cc version and the starter was switched from another saw. Anyway, I put the 49cc short block into the Timber Bear chassis.

View attachment 413789

View attachment 413791

I had a problem with the oil pump so I pulled it back down and found the gear on the piston had been damaged. I did have a new one on hand so I installed it and fixed the oiler, or so I thought. I was interested in seeing out this saw performed so I made a few cuts in my oak test log, like the Craftsman the engine develops good power, but the oiler failed again during the testing. At that point I just cleaned it up for the display.

I wish I knew what was causing the oiler gear to fail, I only have a couple left (301913) and don't want to wreck them all just to find out.

Mark
So this one popped up overnight on the bay, I made a pretty low offer that was accepted. Shows 46cc on the recoil decal, but the actual model decal shows 55cc. They claim it will run but won't stay running. Hoping the the top end is okay, if not I may be looking for parts if you have any left over. Super clean otherwise.Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 02-55-53 McCulloch MS1846 Mac 4600 46CC 4900 Chainsaw - RARE SAW eBay.pngScreenshot 2024-04-14 at 02-56-01 McCulloch MS1846 Mac 4600 46CC 4900 Chainsaw - RARE SAW eBay.pngScreenshot 2024-04-14 at 02-56-20 McCulloch MS1846 Mac 4600 46CC 4900 Chainsaw - RARE SAW eBay.png

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well,I got the PM700 around 5:30 today & went through it rather quickly.The PO apparerntly didn't believe in air filters because there wasn't one on the saw & there was a bunch of crud in the AF cover.I had to put the correct plug in it,it had a Champion DJ7Y in it & it needs to have a DJ8.I pulled the recoil off & put the other one I had on hand here & put a prime in the plug hole.It seemed to have low compression,I was thinking it had P&C damage due to being run without a filter.It fired right up,but just a very short run.I put a bigger prime in & it ran a bit longer,but still seemed to have low compression.I could pull it over without using the DSP.Then later on my neighbor stopped by & I was going to show him the poor compression.Apparently the 2 short bursts that I gave it freed up some stuck rings.I could barely pull the saw over without using the DSP.I got the origional recoil apart & all it needs right now is a new rope & handle.I don't have any Mac handles right now,so don't be alarmed when you see a Husky handle on it for the pics.I'll do some cleaning & put a new fuel filter in it & see if the carb will pull fuel without a rebuild.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a bag of them somewhere in the attic, but I haven't been able to find them in 3 months of searching...i

Mark
I share your pain .With me it's not if I have it or not but where in the world is it .In other words my organizational skills are very lacking .Sometimes if not for the fact my head is attached I'd lose it .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today I put a new fuel filter in the PM 700 & filled it with fuel.Imagine my surprise when it fired up on the 4th pull..I had to dress the bar & put another bar plate in.This saw was a good buy IMO.I didn't even have to sharpen the chain.the only thing is the automatic oiler doesn't seem to be working.Is the pump accessible without taking the fuel tank handle off?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 7

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The automatic oiler is located in the oil tank, one screw removes the cover and the pump is right there. The PM700 should already have the thicker wedge shaped seal (gasket) and the metal clip to help hold the pump in position so only one screw holding the automatic pump down.

DSCN5917-1.jpg

DSCN5918.JPG

If the manual oiler works and the automatic does not, most likely the piston is stuck. Take the pump out and try working the piston manually to see if you can free it up.

FWIW, older models (-10 type saws) often had three screws securing the automatic oil pump in place, those do require removing the fuel tank to access the screw heads on top of the oil tank.

DSC04055.JPG

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before you get carried away first try the good old kerosene flush .However somebody might have adjusted the piston travel thus making it discharging less oil . Unless it's different from the normal 10 series impulse pump it should have a screw that sets the piston travel .More travel more oil .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was test running this PM610 that came in the lot of saws and parts from Woody Strommen. It stopped suddenly...

20240416_145312.jpg

20240416_145632.jpg

20240416_150717.jpg

Really a shame because that was a brand new thin ring piston...apparently the wrist pin and/or connecting rod had been reused too many times and the wrist pin slid over turning loose the needles.

20240416_144939.jpg

I found another short block in the attic with 155 PSI compression so I have that one operational now and on my "For Sale" rack.

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up another nice looking PM 10-10 today for $75.It's supposed to have good compression,but no spark.I'll check the points out first & if still no fire I'll throw a different condenser in it.For those of you who think $75 is too much for a 10-10,try pricing them.Gone are the days of getting one for $20 or for free,at least one that'll run with minor repairs.Pics to come.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up another nice looking PM 10-10 today for $75.It's supposed to have good compression,but no spark.I'll check the points out first & if still no fire I'll throw a different condenser in it.For those of you who think $75 is too much for a 10-10,try pricing them.Gone are the days of getting one for $20 or for free,at least one that'll run with minor repairs.Pics to come.

I don't disagree on the price at all. I'm just jealous of your saw budget. I know I could not spend that much that frequently on anything other than necessities. I wish the kids were still satisfied with a happy meals. I spend more a month on groceries than my house payment!

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree wholeheartedly with Mark.Steve your kids will grow up too fast,they're only small once.I was just talking with friends last night about when my son was 3 & 4 yrs.old,he'll be 30 in June.I'd give anything to have those days back.
When I first started out with saws about 6 yrs.ago I didn't have the budget to spend on buying saws that I have now,& saws were much cheaper then too.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Enjoy your children now Steve, you will have plenty of time to spend money on things you desire later on.

Mark
I agree wholeheartedly with Mark.Steve your kids will grow up too fast,they're only small once.I was just talking with friends last night about when my son was 3 & 4 yrs.old,he'll be 30 in June.I'd give anything to have those days back.
When I first started out with saws about 6 yrs.ago I didn't have the budget to spend on buying saws that I have now,& saws were much cheaper then too.

Oh don't worry, we are not wasting time with them. I swear days go by like hours anymore!