msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark,
Find you a good western store or hat shop. Looks to me like a good hat shaper with a proper steamer should be able to get the worst of the bends out. Or if you are willing to chance damaging it, you could try using a wet towel and a steam iron to do the same thing with a heat treatment. Be similar to the old flat brimmed felt hats that used to be so popular. Can give you some more ideas and things that have worked for me in the past if you would like. Also, Happy Birthday. May the chain always be sharp and the saw tuned well.

Mike

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys.

I did return to the brush dump yesterday but I will apologize as it was not a McCulloch. I got this MS391 in August, piston was toast and I had to clean up the cylinder to remove the aluminum transfer but a new OEM piston assembly was less than $30 so now it is a nice runner.

From this...

20181013_130228.jpg

To this...

20181017_093717.jpg

And this...

20181017_093728.jpg

Locust is hard and heavy.

Mark

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took four saws to the brush dump today to test them in some wood. I hadn't intended to bring any wood home but I found a couple of large pieces of locust (crotches) so I decided to cut some up into firewood size pieces. I had three 10-10S models (two are Special Edition) and a PM700 (HEath).

The 10-10S SE saws were very impressive running 16" bars, one was 3/8 and one was .325. The "regular" 10-10S had a 20" .325 bar/chain combination and it did well, but lacks the compression and so the guts of the two SE models. All things considered, it runs and pulls quite nicely.

HEath's PM700 didn't want to run, I discovered when I took it back to the shop that the choke was disconnected...won't start in the cool weather without a choke. With that resolved I put a junk 20 hardnose bar and old chain on it and headed back to the brush dump to discover I had an .050 chain on an .063 bar...if you just keep trying you can eventually get it to cut well enough to burn up a tank of fuel.

I may have to go back this week for some more testing, still a big chunk of that locust remaining. HEath's PM700 and the chunks I harvested today.

View attachment 145519
There is still a big piece of that locust begging to be whittled on.

View attachment 145520
I enjoy cutting at the brush dump since there is no clean up required.

I will be putting the 10-10S Special Edition saws in the classifieds in case anyone is interested. Both are real rippers.

Mark

I’m Here to tell you I’m ready to Run that one.

Belated Happy Birthday Sir.

@hsell

Bringing my PM700 next spring w/ 24 bar if you're around.

View attachment 145639

Yessir. I plan to have it with me.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a birthday this week, Mrs. Heimann was tickled to give me this present.

View attachment 146033

Unfortunately the seller just crammed it in a box and bent it up, I am trying to get it straightened out now.

Mark
I almost bought that...or one just like it lol. That is too bad that it was just crammed in a box.

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am needing a little help on getting the starter cup off of the recoil shaft and pulley. My 250 is in dire need of cleaning and lubrication in this area, but not having any luck getting it apart once all the screws are out and the pulley and spring are semi exposed. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.20181002_115244.jpg

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once the cover is off I clamp the pulley in a vice but not to hard as to brake it. Then with a long big screw driver
in the part that engages in the flywheel dogs you turn it counter clockwise as it is left hand thread. Should come
right off. Then the pulley will slide out but be careful as the spring will want to come out as well. They are very
easy starters to work on.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
6:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once the cover is off I clamp the pulley in a vice but not to hard as to brake it. Then with a long big screw driver
in the part that engages in the flywheel dogs you turn it counter clockwise as it is left hand thread. Should come
right off. Then the pulley will slide out but be careful as the spring will want to come out as well. They are very

Beat me to it Lee! You explained it better than i would have too!

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys, thank you for the wealth of info shared on here. I was sure that it had to be something simple, but was afraid I would ogre it and need parts then.
Mike

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you very much, was sure it had to be simple. Was afraid that I would ogre it and need parts,so here I am asking.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might add if you rewind the spring you will want about one more wrap than it takes to fully recoil it .If you get it too tight it will spring the spring so to speak .These starters on the left start reeders are the easiest to work on. Curse the day you ever have to tackle a right start 10 series .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good explanation Lee, I do basically the same but use large channel locks to hold the pulley and an adjustable wrench on the stater side, the wrench grabs it surprisingly well.

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking for a 8 tooth sprocket for a 850. I guess I gotta see what clutch drum I have to see if it even uses a rim sprocket first. I will report back once I see what kind of clutch drum/sprocket I have.

joeymt33

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking for a 8 tooth sprocket for a 850. I guess I gotta see what clutch drum I have to see if it even uses a rim sprocket first. I will report back once I see what kind of clutch drum/sprocket I have.

I’m using a .404 8 tooth in a 20” bar on a SP81. It’s usually my “go to” saw. Such a pleasure to run.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding that I was given a 32" 10 series Mac bar which most likely was made by Windsor .It had a .404 tip but it was an .050 slot which I found odd .Evidently it might have been a west coaster because that size was never used on those saws in this area .I changed the tip to 3/8" .

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure the 850 has the torque to turn the 8 tooth so why not try it. I'm running 3/8ths .063 on my 850. Had to load my stuff in the trailer today that leaves for Montana tonight. So I didn't have time yet to pull the clutch cover off to check it out. I fly out to Montana Thursday mornin, goin for my first mulie. My tree cuttin boss's paid for the whole trip, some good guys. Especially since I only work for them mid Nov. threw early April during my off season w/ the swimmin pools.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding that I was given a 32" 10 series Mac bar which most likely was made by Windsor .It had a .404 tip but it was an .050 slot which I found odd .Evidently it might have been a west coaster because that size was never used on those saws in this area .I changed the tip to 3/8" .
I believe Oregon made a special chain that was .404, but had a lower profile 3/8 cutters, I have an Oregon bar 32” .50 .404 bar for a my sp81 that I will convert to 3/8 of find some old chain!

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure the 850 has the torque to turn the 8 tooth so why not try it. I'm running 3/8ths .063 on my 850. Had to load my stuff in the trailer today that leaves for Montana tonight. So I didn't have time yet to pull the clutch cover off to check it out. I fly out to Montana Thursday mornin, goin for my first mulie. My tree cuttin boss's paid for the whole trip, some good guys. Especially since I only work for them mid Nov. threw early April during my off season w/ the swimmin pools.
Ya if you have a rim drive, it will be an easy swap! You can look from the bottom to see if it is a rim drive, you don’t have to pull the cover to check that

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think the heavy .404 chain would be better off on 100 cc or larger saws .I'm not saying they won't handle it because it could .I also suspect the .404 would work better on the west coast soft woods than in our eastern hardwoods .I've heard but never seen they made longer bars for the large 10 series,SP 81 850 etc but the longest I've seen is 32" of which I have several .