The Nitro Fuel thread

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every orifice except the main bore right? I'm learning here. I assume with nitro, you can forget about more air and focus on dumping oxygen rich fuel in. I guess except in a case where nitro makes it rev crazy fast, so you need to relieve some of the extra vacuum.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every orifice except the main bore right? I'm learning here. I assume with nitro, you can forget about more air and focus on dumping oxygen rich fuel in. I guess except in a case where nitro makes it rev crazy fast, so you need to relieve some of the extra vacuum.
Less vacuum, less fuel.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure ignition timing should actually be delayed when using nitro since it burns faster?

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im in the infant stages of learning about the funny fuel stuff, but ive not heard that one. My thought is that generally saws running on methanol/nitro are built to run at higher than normal rpms, which is helped by advanced ignition timing. The fuel makes more power and so you can get away with way more exhaust duration than normal. Thats the way i see it, but thats from someone who has never built a carb/saw to run meth/nitro so take it for what its worth haha.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To put it more precisely: The stoichiometric (chemically ideal) combustion ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1 in air to fuel by mass; for methanol it’s around 6.7:1. But for nitromethane it’s 1.7:1. So if you are going to make power with nitro, you are going to have to burn huge quantities of it. Kalitta’s engines run a camshaft-driven Waterman fuel pump that can deliver up to 93 gallons per minute. The car carries 18 gallons of fuel on board, and over an entire two-minute run (including starting, staging, and burnout), the engine will consume around 13.5 gallons. “The actual run takes around 41/2 to 5 gallons,” says Jim O. Whoa. Since a typical Funny Car run lasts around 4.8 seconds, that means fuel is being consumed at approximately 1 gallon per second. Consider that for a moment: a Top Fuel or Funny Car engine burns fuel at roughly the same rate as a 450-ton Boeing 747 jumbo jet.

Something to put things in a simple perspective

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I didn't pull that off wikipedia, thanks though.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, sounded like a wiki quote though, :rolleyes: but then Wiki quotes other sources

QuickDrawSaw

Useless as tits on a bull
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried a 25% rc blend in my ms250. With the stock carb I couldn't get it to idle under 4k with the low backed all the way out. Not to mention it wouldn't turn off because it was dieseling. I did end up drilling out the low and high jets and passages to the throttle bore on the WT215. It ran decent but without more mods to the comp and timing I wasnt getting the full potential of the nitro. The COX RC fuel has waaay to much oil in it. The saw has since been turned back to run gas, I still get whiffs of the nitro every once in a while lol

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny you guys mention kiletta motorsport. I've done alot of work on the trucks. Got many keepsake engine parts from them. It's crazy to be in the shop when they run the cars/engines and run the blower run I. It's deafening.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried mixing 32:1 pump fuel with ethanol with nitro methane. It no worky. Boring vide0, but it nearly fully separated out after an hour. The oil was Benol.

Nitro propane mixes w pump fuel, but nitro methane will not. I do wanna try E85. All will require giant jets in the carb because the whole point of nitro is that it doesn’t need much oxygen to burn, it supplies it itself.

lovin-J-reds

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So to bring this thread back, I've got a 97 2050 turbo and I'm tryin to run nitro methane or pure methane. Ive got a stock saw and I know I need to drill the jet but do I need to drill the L and H jets? If I do how do I do the jets? Timming??? How do I advance the timming? The coil is in a fix position unless I drill/file the holes to advance it or is there another way? I pulled the flywheel and didn't see any points unless there electronic but in the late 90s I don't think they figured out how to do that. I've heard they make fuel lines that wont deteriorate from the methane but the questions I have is what does the line go for ($$$) and do they make it small enough? Will I need to bring the compression up and if I do how? On the saw the crankcase is part of the jug. The nitro methane I have wont mix with normal 2 stroke oil so I need to find a good castor oil. What brand do you all prefer?
Edward

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dude...
-if u wanna make a stock saw run like a m-fer, then you need nitrous.
-if you wanna cut firewood fast, get ur saw ported.
-if you wanna race, you need something other than a 2050 bro.

How about a turbo off a 1.4l 4 banger..
20220305_153729.jpg

Might upset the balance though.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screenshot_20220407-204522_Samsung Internet.jpg Are you gonna be satisfied with three cuts then shutdown till its cool enough for three more? You are gonna need a plug that looks like this..no porcelain shows when viewed from the side. Short ground strap. Pick up a few.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So to bring this thread back, I've got a 97 2050 turbo and I'm tryin to run nitro methane or pure methane. Ive got a stock saw and I know I need to drill the jet but do I need to drill the L and H jets? If I do how do I do the jets? Timming??? How do I advance the timming? The coil is in a fix position unless I drill/file the holes to advance it or is there another way? I pulled the flywheel and didn't see any points unless there electronic but in the late 90s I don't think they figured out how to do that. I've heard they make fuel lines that wont deteriorate from the methane but the questions I have is what does the line go for ($$$) and do they make it small enough? Will I need to bring the compression up and if I do how? On the saw the crankcase is part of the jug. The nitro methane I have wont mix with normal 2 stroke oil so I need to find a good castor oil. What brand do you all prefer?
Edward
Klotz makes a few different oils that are compatible with alcohol, nitromethane, and gas, but some of those oils do not mix with some gas only oils.

Remote controlled models run on methanol and nitro, so they make fuel line as small as you need and smaller. Silicone is what they use, but it will expand and disconnect from fittings if exposed to gasoline.