The forestry and logging pictures thread

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This thread makes me question my life choices.
Many moons ago I was determined to be a logger, and my dad mentioned that to a logger he knew. The guy mulled it over a minute and told him this little anecdote with instructions to pass it on to me.

A man had a severe head injury and his brain was badly damaged by it. While he was at the hospital being treated, a doctor came in and told him due to medical advances they were now able to perform brain transplants. But there were several brain options to choose from, each with varying costs. Brain #1 came from a scientist, $1000. Brain #2 from a lawyer, $5000. Brain #3 came from a blue collar worker, $10,000. Brain #4 was from a logger, $25,000. The man asks the doctor "What's up with the price differences?" The doctor responds, "A scientist's brain is well used, so it's cheaper. A lawyer's is less used, so it's a bit more" "Well, why's the logger's brain so much more expensive than the rest?" "Son, that thing's never been used!"

Life wound up steering me away from a career involving any sorta forestry work in a rather permanent fashion, but I'll always remember that story.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was young(er) like from 12-16 I used to spend my free time felling trees and skidding them out of the bush for firewood or to be taken to the saw mill. I enjoyed it the work despite not knowing anything and told my gramps I wanted to be a logger when I grew up.
He told me “you’ll either be dead by 30 or broken by 50”
The loggers that I talked to growing up were great at answering my questions in the saw shop, honestly saved my life more than likely and I still know 1/10th or less of what they do, very smart men

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of them fallers is pretty smart

Best I can hope for at this point is dude falling

I think you're in a good spot. You have a good business and can do tree work on the side.

Logging seems cool when you look at it from the outside, but working in the industry has a lot of ups and downs, and more downs than ups.

There are some guys that do their own thing and do pretty well but those situations take years to work into. You have build and groom
relationships with landowners, mills, subcontractors, mechanics, and suppliers. Even then, you might find yourself on a job where you're
looking at making good money in a short time but then one breakdown screws it all up.

My dad told me when I was kid that becoming a logger is a lot like becoming an actor - you starve for the first few years, and then
when you do make it, it's feast or famine. The old man was completely right.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…it’s probably a better hobby than a job. Turning a hobby into a job often takes the fun out of it. When I finish a big job and everything aches I dunno if I could do it all day every day. Then again I usually go dawn to dusk because I’m trying to get it done after hours, not 6 hours a day.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…it’s probably a better hobby than a job. Turning a hobby into a job often takes the fun out of it. When I finish a big job and everything aches I dunno if I could do it all day every day. Then again I usually go dawn to dusk because I’m trying to get it done after hours, not 6 hours a day.
When I take a week or 2 break because of weather, it takes me a couple days to get those muscles conditioned to hucking a saw all day again. You get used to it, just like anything else.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using 020T I intend to STEAL from a comrade, 200t and 201t
Been on fog, rain,cold, heat and all the chit combined
They now upgraded me as team leader and head of the whole project
We re in 1200-1.600meters height area around a lake cutting Firs and Oaks.IMG_1560.jpegC9BE96FA-C997-470A-BDDF-C4EDFD8282AB.jpegIMG_1151.jpegIMG_1120.jpegIMG_1143.png

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag