jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They call that Zama an upgrade from the Tilly?
:rolleyes:

You'll have to talk to Stihl about that one. It may have been just after they bought a controlling interest in Zama and wanted to get their return on investment.

Carb and cylinder were definitely downgrades

The Tillotson is definitely the better carb. Same deal on the 024 vs. 026. The Tillotson HU from the 024s makes a good runner.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
You'll have to talk to Stihl about that one. It may have been just after they bought a controlling interest in Zama and wanted to get their return on investment.

The Tillotson is definitely the better carb. Same deal on the 024 vs. 026. The Tillotson HU from the 024s makes a good runner.
I was thinking something a bit bigger that can be stuffed on there. This one might need a fat pipe. Something fun to cut wood. Add stuff you should never have on a chainsaw. Some ideas floating around in me head with pistons.
Those 034's do scream pretty good. Ran a few of all models from bone stock to big dumb smiles. Docs RPM type built 036 impressed me the most in three series Stihl saws of old. I ran a few of his and some others. The Tree Monkey 361 was a very strong front runner with more nuts than my best one of those. Got two more to try again and this dust collector. These ones stay here and won't be work saws.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was under the impression that the KS cylinder that came on the early 036 non-pros was the same as the 034S jug (48mm bore). Had a minty one, sold it, regret it. :oops:

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if mine is Stihl or KS or Gill. It is a flat top with no decomp in the casting.
Mine was the same, no decomp. It was labeled as a Stihl jug but the piston had KS markings and everything about the cylinder looked like a KS. I had a Mahle from a later pro model as well and it looked completely different, color, port shapes, combustion chamber, decomp.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a video I made of it for the guy who bought it. He was sceptical and asking a lot of questions...he didn't ask anymore questions after the video. Stock timing, tightened squish and a dual port muffler.

EDIT: While trying to shorten the video I cut out what I wanted to save.o_O

Last edited:

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t port saws or measure up much more than squish, but I do get into a lot of them and run ‘em harder than the average guy.

Posts above about the 034 vs. 036 are correct. The best running stock cylinder I have had was an 034 super. Great power/rpm/compression package.
Yes, those Tilly carbs are easier to tune but Zamas are ubiquitous and I use ‘em.
I may offend some with this... but a clean, OEM 46mm top end is no slouch. Many guys rip on them after running tired or freshly built (see: not broken in) saws.

I think Ken/Dan and I talked years ago about my parts stash. It’s low... dangerously low. I watch eBay and local sales with very little success these days.

Glennmac

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, I’m doing an 034 as we speak. Found this piston in it. Looks like an 028 in there. Shopping for parts now. Just want to make a fun saw. Recommendations?
ee332a50b1e351de676fb437a97cff17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, I’m doing an 034 as we speak. Found this piston in it. Looks like an 028 in there. Shopping for parts now. Just want to make a fun saw. Recommendations?

Interesting. Must be an early one.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Could we get a couple of cylinder pics on that saw. Inner and outer pics please apply. Thanks, Tim

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm wondering if that is a 028 Super piston 46mm in a standard 034 cylinder? Would any of you more experienced guys know wrist pin info, and piston heights or skirt info? That could be a low budget hot rod build.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@BonScott46 That saw had a nice cackle and was crispy. Good stuff.

How hard is it to big bore this thing, @drf256 to 50mm?
I have 044 jugs here :) or it gets extra outside transfers on the 48mm on it now.

Guess I could trade or buy a 34S for chunking down. They do go. 362 and 361 are just a bit much in a small to medium size tree running the 20". 16" isn't better and usually not enough. The 34 would be perfect with a 20" lite. I been using the 260 with an 18" or 20" 3/8 E bar or Oregon standard bar. I have several new 61dl 3/8lp bars waiting for saws. Two are going on 200T's ported.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most has been answered, but I’ll give you my $.02

034 is 46mm and has that Uvula in the intake port to support the rings.

The 034 Super went to 48mm and are almost all KS jugs. They look similar to the 46mm externally to a degree, short second fin over the exhaust port like the 46mm jug. Inside, they are a work of art. The exhaust port has the same shaped roof as the 10mm 044, very vert flat. Nice tight uppers and a perfect intake port. Squish comes in right around 18 without a base gasket. I do have a rare interim NOS 034S jug here made by Mahle of @dall here.

036 jugs are all Mahle or Gillardoni. I’ve never seen a KS 036 jug. They have extended 2nd fins and a teardrop shaped intake port. The uppers are nowhere as nice as the 034S jugs are. The Gillardoni jugs are a bright silver color that look AM and have a machined slot on top of the jugs. The G jugs also have the biggest transfer tunnels.

The MS360 is where the airfilter, starter and covers changed. Same carb with a compensations metering cover and with limiters. Also the decomp valve.

The Tilly 43B carb is supposed to be the best, it came on the early 034S saws. I’ve noticed no real performance difference between the Tilly and the Zama.

The top covers are different. The 034 and 034S have a front air dam that need to to be trimmed if the 036 jug is to be used. It’s that second fin that causes the fitment issues.

There are 3 different mufflers I know of. The short body mufflers need a spacer sometimes. I think it’s when one uses an 034 standard muffler on an 034S or 036 jug, but I am not sure. I’ve never had the issue myself. The 034 muffler has a standard baffle inside, the 036 has none, and the 034S has an elongated baffle that’s like a tube and exits on both sides.

As for porting, I prefer the Mahle 036 jug.

That’s all I have.

@Mastermind , Yes the 036 P&C will fit your buddy’s saw. You’ll need to trim the top cover the way one does when doing an 044/046 hybrid. The muffler may or may not fit, but the exhaust spacer will allow it to work. It’s the same Spacer and PN as the 044/064. They are one in the same. It’s odd how some saws need them and some don’t.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most has been answered, but I’ll give you my $.02

034 is 46mm and has that Uvula in the intake port to support the rings.

The 034 Super went to 48mm and are almost all KS jugs. They look similar to the 46mm externally to a degree, short second fin over the exhaust port like the 46mm jug. Inside, they are a work of art. The exhaust port has the same shaped roof as the 10mm 044, very vert flat. Nice tight uppers and a perfect intake port. Squish comes in right around 18 without a base gasket. I do have a rare interim NOS 034S jug here made by Mahle of @dall here.

036 jugs are all Mahle or Gillardoni. I’ve never seen a KS 036 jug. They have extended 2nd fins and a teardrop shaped intake port. The uppers are nowhere as nice as the 034S jugs are. The Gillardoni jugs are a bright silver color that look AM and have a machined slot on top of the jugs. The G jugs also have the biggest transfer tunnels.

The MS360 is where the airfilter, starter and covers changed. Same carb with a compensations metering cover and with limiters. Also the decomp valve.

The Tilly 43B carb is supposed to be the best, it came on the early 034S saws. I’ve noticed no real performance difference between the Tilly and the Zama.

The top covers are different. The 034 and 034S have a front air dam that need to to be trimmed if the 036 jug is to be used. It’s that second fin that causes the fitment issues.

There are 3 different mufflers I know of. The short body mufflers need a spacer sometimes. I think it’s when one uses an 034 standard muffler on an 034S or 036 jug, but I am not sure. I’ve never had the issue myself. The 034 muffler has a standard baffle inside, the 036 has none, and the 034S has an elongated baffle that’s like a tube and exits on both sides.

As for porting, I prefer the Mahle 036 jug.

That’s all I have.

@Mastermind , Yes the 036 P&C will fit your buddy’s saw. You’ll need to trim the top cover the way one does when doing an 044/046 hybrid. The muffler may or may not fit, but the exhaust spacer will allow it to work. It’s the same Spacer and PN as the 044/064. They are one in the same. It’s odd how some saws need them and some don’t.

Nice write up Al. Thank you.