High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tech says Dolkita DCS6421 tough to keep running

Local time
10:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A highly experienced rental dept equipment tech tells me the Dolkita DCS 6421 are tough to keep running, but he was too busy with customers to explain why. He also said the 4300 series were much more reliable and not problematic. What say you?

They're asking about $365 for these former rental dcs 6421... I'd want to have the thing totally rebuilt into a 7900 by a competent expert, and my guess is I'd be better off just buying a brand new 7900. Opinions?

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn’t say the 6421 is hard to keep running. The only thing I’ve noticed is that they have a tendency to flood easily, but that’s easily remedied by either replacing the spring in the carb, or modding the original spring. I have a couple of these saws, and I’ve never had an issue keeping them running.
The 6421 is a nice place to start for a 79cc top end. It has the nicer stainless muffler, and is otherwise the same as the 7300 and 7900.
$365 for an ex rental saw could be a little high, depending on the shape it’s in.
I’ve bought several ex rentals, and they’ve been everywhere from great, to needing new bearings and seals.
Since you’re in FL I’m sure the rentals have cut their fair share of palm trees, which in my experience is very corrosive to the magnesium cases. I’d inspect it very carefully before putting down my money.

The 4300 is indeed a great little saw. I have a few of those as well. The 7900 chassis and the 4300 are my two go to models for almost anything.

I’ll move your thread over to the general chainsaw section. It’ll see more traffic there.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are referring to HD rental saws, that’s a little high. I just grabbed one that wasn’t too abused for $225 in east TN. The guy let me scope the plug hole and pull the muffler to check the piston. Although it was dirty, it was in good shape. I bought it as a truck saw so it didn’t matter to me. I would either look at other stores and even try to haggle with them some.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you are referring to HD rental saws, that’s a little high. I just grabbed one that wasn’t too abused for $225 in east TN. The guy let me scope the plug hole and pull the muffler to check the piston. Although it was dirty, it was in good shape. I bought it as a truck saw so it didn’t matter to me. I would either look at other stores and even try to haggle with them some.

Thanks for the info. I suspect the prices are higher due to Hurricane gouging because it's SW Florida. Two hours north in the Tampa area the same 64cc saw is running about $300- 315.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey, and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn’t say the 6421 is hard to keep running. The only thing I’ve noticed is that they have a tendency to flood easily, but that’s easily remedied by either replacing the spring in the carb, or modding the original spring. I have a couple of these saws, and I’ve never had an issue keeping them running.
The 6421 is a nice place to start for a 79cc top end. It has the nicer stainless muffler, and is otherwise the same as the 7300 and 7900.
$365 for an ex rental saw could be a little high, depending on the shape it’s in.
I’ve bought several ex rentals, and they’ve been everywhere from great, to needing new bearings and seals.
Since you’re in FL I’m sure the rentals have cut their fair share of palm trees, which in my experience is very corrosive to the magnesium cases. I’d inspect it very carefully before putting down my money.

The 4300 is indeed a great little saw. I have a few of those as well. The 7900 chassis and the 4300 are my two go to models for almost anything.

I’ll move your thread over to the general chainsaw section. It’ll see more traffic there.

Thank you for the insight. Perhaps what the tech really meant was many complaints from renters who kept accidentally flooding the 64cc Dolkitas.

I'd read something about palm trees being rough on saws but didn't realize the extent of it. Cleaning, and preventative coatings of Ballistol or even Pledge furniture polish, might be a solution.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the insight. Perhaps what the tech really meant was many complaints from renters who kept accidentally flooding the 64cc Dolkitas.

I'd read something about palm trees being rough on saws but didn't realize the extent of it. Cleaning, and preventative coatings of Ballistol or even Pledge furniture polish, might be a solution.
Using a plastic saw you don't care about is the solution.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A highly experienced rental dept equipment tech tells me the Dolkita DCS 6421 are tough to keep running, but he was too busy with customers to explain why. He also said the 4300 series were much more reliable and not problematic. What say you?

They're asking about $365 for these former rental dcs 6421... I'd want to have the thing totally rebuilt into a 7900 by a competent expert, and my guess is I'd be better off just buying a brand new 7900. Opinions?
Best Tech Department in the World is on this forum, so ya got that going for ya.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those saws get beat. They hose them off and put them away when they are still wet.

If I had to do it again I'd consider the little stuff, it adds up quick. I got one for 280, once I got into it the clutch bearing had worn the crank pretty badly, the whole saw was that way.

If it's under $300 it might be worth it.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those saws get beat. They hose them off and put them away when they are still wet.

If I had to do it again I'd consider the little stuff, it adds up quick. I got one for 280, once I got into it the clutch bearing had worn the crank pretty badly, the whole saw was that way.

If it's under $300 it might be worth it.
I know I have looked at several and only felt good about the one I purchased. They were replacing all of the ones in stock and this one must have stayed on the back of the shelf and not rented as much as the other ones. It’s always a crap shoot with rental purchases.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I suspect the prices are higher due to Hurricane gouging because it's SW Florida. Two hours north in the Tampa area the same 64cc saw is running about $300- 315.
If you plan on going up there to look at one of those saws, I’d call them first, just to make sure it’s an actual 6421. They have switched over to the 6100 now, and they often list those for sale as 6421’s.
The most I’ve ever paid for one of the 6421’s was $275.00. If you talk to the right person they do have a lowest price they’ll take, which is probably less than the $365.00 they told you. In many cases I just ask, and they tell me. I got the last 4300 I bought for $146.00.
I used to live out on the beach outside St Pete, so I’m familiar with that area. Check out the HD’s in Pinellas County, so you don’t have to deal with the Tampa crowd. Lol

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you plan on going up there to look at one of those saws, I’d call them first, just to make sure it’s an actual 6421. They have switched over to the 6100 now, and they often list those for sale as 6421’s.
The most I’ve ever paid for one of the 6421’s was $275.00. If you talk to the right person they do have a lowest price they’ll take, which is probably less than the $365.00 they told you. In many cases I just ask, and they tell me. I got the last 4300 I bought for $146.00.
I used to live out on the beach outside St Pete, so I’m familiar with that area. Check out the HD’s in Pinellas County, so you don’t have to deal with the Tampa crowd. Lol

Thank you- that's the kind of info you can only find on a great forum like OPE! Very helpful indeed.