Sugi bars and oiling

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
10:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got 2 a 16 inch on a 261 and a “16” inch on a 241.

With the oil feed wide open after cutting for a little while the chains seem too dry for my taste. The oil feed hole seems small and easily plugged.

Has anyone else noticed this the hole seems small compared to Stihl, and tsumura bars guess I need to open the up a little.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got 2 a 16 inch on a 261 and a “16” inch on a 241.

With the oil feed wide open after cutting for a little while the chains seem too dry for my taste. The oil feed hole seems small and easily plugged.

Has anyone else noticed this the hole seems small compared to Stihl, and tsumura bars guess I need to open the up a little.

On the 28 and 36 sugi I have there bigger than the oregon or stihl holes. Could be burrs in the hole? Also some stihl’s can be stingy, was it always like this? Pics always help.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of the tsumura bars I’ve had have been fine. I had to open up a sugi hole on my 28”

How stingy? Putting it on cardboard helps. I’ve tried on wood and it seemed poor, it did not give the real representation like it does on cardboard B5824B35-C44B-46ED-B85D-F6C8B533A768.jpeg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny,mine on my 18” and 20” were big. The 28” no. Must have been an “off day” for the guy on the mill.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1553444592294-1503937640.jpg Here is a Sugi light, older NOS solid Sugi & a Tsumura L&T. NOS bar has bigger oil hole similar to Tsumura but where Sugi are clever and different is they angle the oiler hole to prevent plugging and to better fit the oiler system on saw. Think about what your doing before hitting it with a burr...

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 173033 Here is a Sugi light, older NOS solid Sugi & a Tsumura L&T. NOS bar has bigger oil hole similar to Tsumura but where Sugi are clever and different is they angle the oiler hole to prevent plugging and to better fit the oiler system on saw. Think about what your doing before hitting it with a burr...

I will I know they are at an angle they seem to plug easily.

They seem to oil fine flooding the bar right after I clean them but it doesn’t take long for them cut back they are smaller than the light bar on the right of your pic.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 173033 Here is a Sugi light, older NOS solid Sugi & a Tsumura L&T. NOS bar has bigger oil hole similar to Tsumura but where Sugi are clever and different is they angle the oiler hole to prevent plugging and to better fit the oiler system on saw. Think about what your doing before hitting it with a burr...

In my case the Sugi holes were straight in and tiny and sharp edged.
The Stihl was bigger and the edges were somehow eased a little.
The Tsumura was large and angled much nicer.

And the Pico Sugi is hard as hell, the regular 16 is softer, the holes are now 1/8th inch.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you redrill the oil hole, make sure you grind the burr off from the inside of the rail or you’ll have bar plugging like never before. I just use a thin kerf cut off wheel.

I used a small burr and checked after to make sure they were smooth.

Didn’t think of using a flexible cut off disk, would have been easier.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have recently adapted a A041 mount bar to fit my Dolmar PS-550 which is wearing a K095 Sugihara.

This was the first time I have really payed attention to the oiler hole on the Sugi bar and I noticed it was half way offset upwards in relation to the saws oiler slot (measured with a digital caliper).

I do not know if this is an issue on the bar or a misalignment of the saws oiler slot, but I recommend everyone having oiling issues to check and compare the distance between the saws bar mounting bolts and the saw oiler slot, and the bars oiler hole and mounting slot.

Just drilling the oiler hole open will have minimal effect if it is misaligned, grinding it open into the right direction to better align with the saws oiler slot will give much better results.

I used to always grind my bars oiler holes open sideways, apparently this is a practice with questionable results.
I will have to check my D009 bars to see how their oiler holes line up with the saws oiler slot.

Last edited: