Stroking a Dolmar 7900

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You folk Stateside must have engineering suppliers who sell sheets of shimming material - something along the lines of these folk in the UK: https://www.stephensgaskets.co.uk/SteelShims.php
I like it. Wonder what a minimum order is.
We also have some very talented folks among our ranks that could produce and sell shims as well if the build catches on and is repeated.

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I like it. Wonder what a minimum order is.
We also have some very talented folks among our ranks that could produce and sell shims as well if the build catches on and is repeated.
First came across this stuff when sourcing parts for a vintage engine rebuild and was worried that a cylinder head skim might remove piston to valve clearances. The steel and stainless steel material gets used in conjunction with automotive head gaskets to put back piston clearance.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking...

Ha, watch out. If you were to cut the squish enough to use a regular gasket, I wonder if you'd cut into the outer dome of the cylinder and weaken it. I'm curious if there is enough material in the upper cylinder to retain the strength after cutting the squish enough to allow the new stroke.

Obviously the thick gasket would void that concern.