Straight 30 vs 10W-30

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unit is a Kohler air cooled in a lawn tractor. Mfgr says use 30 in the summer, and a lighter weight in winter. I like simple, not having a collection of bottles all over the GD garage. If I were to use a high quality 10W-30 dinosaur oil like Rotella, instead of straight 30, do I get a big carbon buildup?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unit is a Kohler air cooled in a lawn tractor. Mfgr says use 30 in the summer, and a lighter weight in winter. I like simple, not having a collection of bottles all over the GD garage. If I were to use a high quality 10W-30 dinosaur oil like Rotella, instead of straight 30, do I get a big carbon buildup?
5W-40 Rotella will see you right in all weather, and is only a touch "thicker" at the hot end, but with much better HTHS (protection against oil breakdown) compared to SAE car oils.

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used and like the Rotella t4 10/30 in mowers, a portable generator and pressure washer. Haven't tried the 5/40 t6 oil. Not sure if it would increase oil usage till engine gets up to temperature.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ray Benson? That's the guy in Willie Nelson's sometimes back up band, Asleep At The Wheel.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unit is a Kohler air cooled in a lawn tractor. Mfgr says use 30 in the summer, and a lighter weight in winter. I like simple, not having a collection of bottles all over the GD garage. If I were to use a high quality 10W-30 dinosaur oil like Rotella, instead of straight 30, do I get
I have a 17.5hp kohler in my John Deere ride on mower. Short answer is, don’t run multigrade oil in an air cooled four stroke regardless. Multigrade oils have viscosity improvers to widen the temperature gap, these vi’s break down due to hot spots in engines, and or gears, air cooled engines being the worst for temperature variations due to the style of cooling. My John Deere was purchased second hand from my nephew who bought a new one, it had around one fifty hours from memory(I was told this was low for its age) yet it blew blue smoke on start up and the oil was very very dark in colour regardless of service intervals carried out(an indication the oil it is not doing its job sufficiently & viscosity improvers have torn apart). It also required oil between changes(indication it needs changing) the oil previously used was and has always been as per the manufacturers book a 10w30. The only good thing this does do is keep the parts supplier happy and mechanics that understand, frustrated. Straight 30 mono is what it runs now, as it should, has had four changes, uses no oil between changes, the oil is staying clean, blows no smoke, starts better, runs smoother, runs quieter. Sadly his new one, now out of warranty is doing the same thing!!! But he just keeps taking it back for services and they put the multigrade back in🤷🏻🤦🏻Hello Turtle!
Funny thing is, a John Deere dealers mechanics(different town now) we’re asked what they run? They said 10w30 for those under warranty and a straight 30 when it runs out, or if it’s my own a straight 30!!! I’ve been caught and it ain’t happening again, I’d would much rather have kept the seven grand in my pocket that that stuff up caused to my 42’ jeep engine, due to an oil manufacturer not labelling their so called straight sae40 what it really was … a 25w70😡 same due cause to hot spots old engines have. No different to our push mower with the Honda four stroke on it, they say 10w30… but from new it ran a straight 30, ran fine until it’s life changed to a 10w30, unknowingly at the time as I purchased it from the now new shop owner, pumped from a 44. harder starting, black oil, burning oil, blowing smoke, yep a 10w30!! Years before I knew any of this my Honda firefighter went from fine to needing a rebuild, yep from a 30sae to a 10w30 & 20w50, killed it. Been running fine on a 30 now since 1998. Look at Briggs & Stratton though, they still recommend a straight 30sae in air cooled engines, for this very reason and anyone I know that buys there 30sae regardless of what brand of mower is having no issues oil wise. I use Lucas, Gulf Western or Atlantic here.
So you may shrug it off and that’s fine, but it’s always good to learn from facts even if we have to find out the hard way. I prefer to just cut the grass or more like slash the paddock and get that job out of the way, I don’t want to be fixing or buying new mowers that being for the wrong choice of oil, oils ain’t oils hence the many posts we see. 👍

Last edited:

old saw fixer

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have always followed the OPE engine manufacturer's recommendations, period. I buy Schaeffer's 7000 30W synthetic blend by the 5 gallon bucket. There are some quarts of 5-30 and 10-30 Schaeffer 7000 on the shelf if I need some in the winter. Oil is cheap compared to a repair job.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks fellas. Gettin' outta here before this turns into one of those long lasting "best oil" arguments like they have on Robert's oil forum

I'd say go ask this question over there so I can start a response war there, but my account got banned there years ago. There is no credibility there, just a marketing platform for schaeffer oil.

Mfgr says use 30 in the summer

Untitled.jpg

you choose oil viscosity based on operating temperatures and clearances (not tolerances)

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got banned, too, but their security sucks so it's easy to make up a phony name. I'm back on, but the moderators on Robert The Oil Guy are fat, dumb, and happy and don't know how to stop you.

I got banned because I said that some automotive lubes work just as well for firearm maintenance as products "for guns" that cost a bunch more money. They are so epppphhhing dumb on that forum.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Schaffer - oil and lubrication supplier with their own brand and formulas. been around a long time.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All Kohler would be ok with 5-40 or 10-40. Kohler Command has hydraulic lifters and don't like 40 weight. They don't bleed off fast enough and show cam wear early.
I use 10-30 full synthetic in my tractors and snowblower.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got banned because I said that some automotive lubes work just as well for firearm maintenance as products "for guns" that cost a bunch more money. They are so epppphhhing dumb on that forum.

i use walmart supertech 0w-20 oil for the guns, occasionally mixed with a q-tip touch of typical lithium complex nlgi #2 grease; the 1 qt I'm good for forever.

the trufuel post about that stuff being expensive, full of claims, and a rip off.... "gun oil"

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i use walmart supertech 0w-20 oil for the guns, occasionally mixed with a q-tip touch of typical lithium complex nlgi #2 grease; the 1 qt I'm good for forever.

the trufuel post about that stuff being expensive, full of claims, and a rip off.... "gun oil"
You use plain old #2 grease on the rails? Not criticizing, just clarifying.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just get you a diesel rated 10W-30 and call it a night.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You use plain old #2 grease on the rails? Not criticizing, just clarifying.

yes, < $10 tube from autozone or wherever like valvoline multipurpose grease for example (i've used lucas red n tacky) basically any general purpose lithium-complex grease you'd use on car/truck chassis *s-word , and yes on slide rails or anywhere it makes sense. Only problem i've ever had was on a .22LR 1911 with grease in winter, not enough energy to reliably cycle the slide unless you shot fast and got enough heat generated. Years ago i put my 45 in my freezer (~20° i guess) before going to the range to really know. For rifles it was never a problem.