STIHL MS 400

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
8:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like a 362 on the outside but I bet it looks more like a 261/462 on the inside. Id bet they ditched the dual butterfly setup and went with split Venturi carb to simplify things and keep weight down. Slightly bigger crank, larger piston and cylinder and voila, ms400.

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like a 362 on the outside but I bet it looks more like a 261/462 on the inside. Id bet they ditched the dual butterfly setup and went with split Venturi carb to simplify things and keep weight down. Slightly bigger crank, larger piston and cylinder and voila, ms400.
So your picking up your 462 tomorrow I hear[emoji16]

Fairways_and_Greens

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Evansaw,

I don't want to doubt the source of your information but it astounds me that Stihl does not continue equipping its professional chain saws with fuel injection to underline its position as a technology leader. Certification of new chain saws in line with new EU emission regulations becoming effective this year suggest that fuel injection would facilitate to fulfil new emission standards due to its numerous parameters being sensed and the exact amount of injected fuel calculated in real time thus reducing raw emissions. For this reason it can be assumed that Stihl will continue with fuel injection in the long run. It seems to me that the mentioned 400 c-m is carved for a specific market niche in the interim.
It seems like Stihl is being super careful on the DI... spend years on their cutoff saw, now going to chainsaws... After some time in service they'll probably add more models. I wonder if the DI module and fuel pumps scales in terms of weight...

Last edited:

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So your picking up your 462 tomorrow I hear[emoji16]
Man, I can't get away with anything lol. Not sure yet actually. I have a carbed one showing up sometime this week from Greece but I'll more than likely end up with an mtronic one too. So I can compare them, for the good of the community and stuff.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, I can't get away with anything lol. Not sure yet actually. I have a carbed one showing up sometime this week from Greece but I'll more than likely end up with an mtronic one too. So I can compare them, for the good of the community and stuff.
I am very interested in a carb vs m-tronic comparison, brown plug vs black. Wondering if there will be a significant fuel usage as well as power difference. On another note I hope the ms400 has decent sized gas and oil tanks.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the 67cc MS400 C will be replacing the MS362.
Anyone know what that black knob on the back of the top cover is all about?
s400c.jpg

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool! Put a 361 coil on it and have full rpm range.