Stihl 441 Sale to a friend? Price?

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
044/440 are more desirable saws that hold there value better. Think of the 044 as a vintage Mercedes that holds value.... now the 441 is a new Mercedes... as soon as you drive it off the lot you just lost a lot of money.
I avoid buying the 044s ever since I owned one that kicked every time you tried to start it and we never completely got it fixed..

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
6:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I saw here some recommended prices in the under $500 range, I have to remind myself about last year when a logger friend ran over his MS661 with his truck. The saw was in shambles. He asked me to restore it and I agreed to try. Parts alone cost over $500. After 10 hours of work, I got it running like the day he bought it. Yes, it was a gamble, but he figured it was worth it, and the saw runs today.

I suppose we are comparing apples with oranges, but a fine-running Stihl saw should be worth close to what it cost to buy it because (1) Stihl raises their prices every year, and (2) inflation of the dollar tends to cancel out equipment depreciation. At least that's what the forum used to say 10 years ago.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks in good shape and compression seems fine. As Mr Lee said one of the worst saws to work on.

I have tried to take good care of it.
Changed oil every 3000 miles.
Made sure the "blade" was in good shape.
Lubed the piston once a year.
Sharpened the chain once every 5 cords of wood, or 25,000 board feet, whether it needed it or not.
Oh, and only used it on Saturday afternoons in nice weather.

Actually, I did try to take care of it. It has been used but hopefully not abused

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I saw here some recommended prices in the under $500 range, I have to remind myself about last year when a logger friend ran over his MS661 with his truck. The saw was in shambles. He asked me to restore it and I agreed to try. Parts alone cost over $500. After 10 hours of work, I got it running like the day he bought it. Yes, it was a gamble, but he figured it was worth it, and the saw runs today.

I suppose we are comparing apples with oranges, but a fine-running Stihl saw should be worth close to what it cost to buy it because (1) Stihl raises their prices every year, and (2) inflation of the dollar tends to cancel out equipment depreciation. At least that's what the forum used to say 10 years ago.

$500 is almost half of new. No way I’d put that into one hoping it would work. Most of these saws are worth way more in parts than running anyway.

I don’t believe anything used is worth anywhere close to new. 046 cases and cranks tend to get beat out, 064/66 have a tendency to open the PTO pocket, and an 880 and 661 parts are hiding gold in them at the dealer. A new 661 at $1100 out the door makes more sense to me and write it off then rebuilding one.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The question I'd be asking myself is what's the friendship worth instead of the saw. $200 is too much if it just gets straight gassed and ends up back in your lap with a friend playing dumb and wanting you to "take a look at it for me since you know the saw".

That would make this discussion irrelevant at any price.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He's been running saws for a few years.
He asked me what I thought was fair.
About 2 months ago I originally told him probably around $600 plus a new bar and a couple of chains.
He is aware I'm waiting on another saw to show up before I let this one go.
The more I've thought about it, the price I gave him seemed high.
Thought I would post a thread and get some input on how the saw looked and pricing.
I am going to lower my price to him, who knows, the Corona thing has goofed up a lot of finances for folks so it might not even be good timing for him now, but want to treat him right.

Regarding any issues: before he dumped a non-running saw on me, he'd make sure it wasn't his fault. He's that kind of a person.

Nate.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw with the 24'' bar and chain would bring $650 out here. That said, everything seems too be more expensive in CA.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The question I'd be asking myself is what's the friendship worth instead of the saw. $200 is too much if it just gets straight gassed and ends up back in your lap with a friend playing dumb and wanting you to "take a look at it for me since you know the saw".

That would make this discussion irrelevant at any price.
:cool:Good perspective.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
044/440 are more desirable saws that hold there value better. Think of the 044 as a vintage Mercedes that holds value.... now the 441 is a new Mercedes... as soon as you drive it off the lot you just lost a lot of money.

441s are definitely stronger than 440s power wise.

You trade it for a pain in the ass saw to work on.

To each their own.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
441s are definitely stronger than 440s power wise.

You trade it for a pain in the ass saw to work on.

To each their own.
I agree. They seem to have a edge over a 440, especially ported. I do prefer the 046/460/461 over the 441 though. Same weight, more power and about the same cost.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. They seem to have a edge over a 440, especially ported. I do prefer the 046/460/461 over the 441 though. Same weight, more power and about the same cost.
According to my chart, the 441 has a dry weight of 14,1 lb and the 461 has a dry weight of 14.6 lb. The 441 kicks out 5.3 Hp and the 461 has 6.0 Hp. The 441 will cost you $990 PHO and the 461 will cost you $1,080, PHO. Now add on bar, chain, and sales tax. Good Stihl's ain't cheap.

Now you know why I thought $700 shipped for a fine-running 440 was not excessive, especially if OP threw in the bar and chain.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
According to my chart, the 441 has a dry weight of 14,1 lb and the 461 has a dry weight of 14.6 lb. The 441 kicks out 5.3 Hp and the 461 has 6.0 Hp. The 441 will cost you $990 PHO and the 461 will cost you $1,080, PHO. Now add on bar, chain, and sales tax. Good Stihl's ain't cheap.

Now you know why I thought $700 shipped for a fine-running 440 was not excessive, especially if OP threw in the bar and chain.
I don’t get into paper specs, but all I know is when I cut timber with a 460 and a 441 they feel the same weight to me, but the 460 has a more torque. What the 441 has going for it is the good gas mileage, smooth av (which can be a bit floppy on the older ones) and the filter setup is better. Other than that the 460 is a better saw in my opinion.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

One of my favorite ported 70cc saws I ever ran was a standard carb 441. It had it all over a 440 in the power dept, the stiffer springs is all a 441 needed in my opinion. But given the two choices I'd probably pick a 461 over a 441..depends on the use.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm never selling a running saw to a friend again. I've had 2 instances where straight gassed saws came back after being "loaned out" by the new owner. Saws that I had 10+ tanks through and then all of a sudden they're trash. I even had a saw shop rebuild one and tell them whoever sold them the saw ripped them off because the jug was ground all up. They threw away the ported jug and added a new aftermarket one.

Grrrrr..

I now only loan my loaner saws and expect a pile in return. No money exchanged and no hard feelings....

Last edited:

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run the 441 and 440 the same day falling, limbing & bucking Hemlocks. Had a write up about it on AS many years ago.
This 441 is smooth with a touch more grunt than the 440. The 440 is a lot more nimble.

I've gotten the Primate Perspective on saws and after getting one back from Bananasburg, TN a few years ago, I've had others bananafied.
Once I got the 440 back, the 441 just doesn't seem as wonderful as it used to. Sure that thing is smooth, but it feels heavy and sluggish compared to the ported 440.

I have tried to take really good care of the saw all these years. Going to touch base with the fellow who asked me about it today. If he has changed his mind...It'll be a stump'n & noodl'n saw. (Or maybe c-list it...)

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He's been running saws for a few years.
He asked me what I thought was fair.
About 2 months ago I originally told him probably around $600 plus a new bar and a couple of chains.
He is aware I'm waiting on another saw to show up before I let this one go.
The more I've thought about it, the price I gave him seemed high.
Thought I would post a thread and get some input on how the saw looked and pricing.
I am going to lower my price to him, who knows, the Corona thing has goofed up a lot of finances for folks so it might not even be good timing for him now, but want to treat him right.

Regarding any issues: before he dumped a non-running saw on me, he'd make sure it wasn't his fault. He's that kind of a person.
Any friend who'd show up if called upon in the early AM hours to help YOU is a friend worth keeping. Seeking a valuation shows you care & do right by him. From what you have said he sounds like he could use a good honest well looked after saw which is exactly what you have. That saw may fetch $500 on a good day here retail, if a dealer/trader were to price it to re-sell and allow for some spend it's wholesale price would be somewhere between $250-350 tops to make a little. I'd look after your mate and give him a good deal, he trust's you, likely won't haggle and will be there when you need him. Sometimes that can be worth a hell of a lot more than a saw. You'll feel good too.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've run the 441 and 440 the same day falling, limbing & bucking Hemlocks. Had a write up about it on AS many years ago.
This 441 is smooth with a touch more grunt than the 440. The 440 is a lot more nimble.

I've gotten the Primate Perspective on saws and after getting one back from Bananasburg, TN a few years ago, I've had others bananafied.
Once I got the 440 back, the 441 just doesn't seem as wonderful as it used to. Sure that thing is smooth, but it feels heavy and sluggish compared to the ported 440.

I have tried to take really good care of the saw all these years. Going to touch base with the fellow who asked me about it today. If he has changed his mind...It'll be a stump'n & noodl'n saw. (Or maybe c-list it...)

You look like you actually use chainsaws. Send your 441 to get ported and your perspective will switch back.