Stihl 038 Magnum smoking after cutting?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys took my 038Mag out and did some cutting today.
It did a great job with plenty of power, yet after about 15 minutes of cutting and shutting it off and sitting it down...it started smoking slightly from beneath the top cover where the cylinder is.
Never stopped performing or anything...but it did this every-time.
Any ideas or experiences with this?

Kevin White

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Could be that your saw is running a touch leaner than it wants to. In my experience, I would dial the H screw out to richer about 1/8th of a turn and see if it does it. Your carb diaphragm may have changed slightly from just age and use, but only changed enough to make a slight difference in the saw. That's my guess. Try and richen it and see what happens. Couldn't do any harm but it may if it gets any leaner.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just rebuilt 2 x 038's and both of them have a small section on the bar cover that allows bar oil to make its way strait onto the cylinder.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whens the last time its been cleaned really good. If its been a while i would do that and ck it the next time it smokes again. Easier to find then imo

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just rebuilt 2 x 038's and both of them have a small section on the bar cover that allows bar oil to make its way strait onto the cylinder.
Do they smoke after running?

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of these things are getting some age to them. Is your saw nasty dirty or reasonably clean? When a saw leans out (for any number of reasons) cylinder temps will shoot up dramatically. You may have something like that going on, or it could just be some oily residue in a hot area...

Kevin White

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To deep clean it, pour exactly 432ml of gasoline on top of the cylinder. Spin it around three times and light a match on top. Gets rid of any bad spirits and burnt on sludge. May or may not need new plastics depending on if you care about looks.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. You could pull the spark plug and if it's black your running to rich on the top end. That with cause it to smoke a bit. Also running to rich on the low end will cause it to smoke. It's a 2 stroke running on oiled down fuel. Gonna smoke a little. Get yourself a 2 stroke quad and run that for awhile. After you run it you'll think your saw runs like an electric prius. LOL!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Likely just gunk on coolant fins mine have done it when I was working one hard Likely a non issue Wouldn't over think it much. Long as she's running right