Starter paws keep breaking.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My boys got a ms 250 he cuts with. I had it befor him with no trouble. Shirtly after i gave it to him the start assembly broke.
Baught a new cheap chinese one and it broke rite away. Money wasted but oh well. Went and got oem replacement parts and after a few starts he broke it again. I fixed it and watched him strt it. He starts by pulling hard as he can and hits the end of the rope. I told him engage it easy till dogs grab then pull bit dont hit the end.
Just wanted to vent my frustrations and he is buying the next starter rebuild kit.

Thanks for listening lol.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's isn't a day goes by that I don't start a 250 as part of my work day.

I only pull the rope about 16" or so and never have a problem ... have never seen a broken starter, either.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make him do the work to fix it and he'll appreciate your advice on a whole new level.
I told him he is gonna fix it when the parts get her that he is paying for.
Im hoping the pain in the ash of winding the spring is enough to teach him.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, operator error, that will get one real fast.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure everything is lubricated and working right. If the pawls don't retract, the saw will eat them. Also, if the cord does not fully wind in, and you pull it while it is running, the saw can eat it. I have used several AM ones on 440/460/660. I install the OEM Elastostart rope and handle, and apply Fluid Film to the assembly to make it work smoother. Had to modify the metal clip on one a bit to get it to work right. The pawls were not engaging when you pulled the rope.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No compression issues like carbon build up etc? Is pull rope long enough? Pawls functioning right? Not sure if the ms250 has the spring elastostart pull handle or not but maybe one of those could smooth out the action. Being a young kid he may have to give it all he got to start it and maybe an elastostart could smooth that out a little.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Starter paws?
a4d5d2a8eb7eb199705edd770d9e8e80.jpg

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No compression issues like carbon build up etc? Is pull rope long enough? Pawls functioning right? Not sure if the ms250 has the spring elastostart pull handle or not but maybe one of those could smooth out the action. Being a young kid he may have to give it all he got to start it and maybe an elastostart could smooth that out a little.
All is functioning proper. When i put new starter rope on i put as much as possible on. Im pretty sure it has the elastostart but will have to check. He is 14 years old and 6 feet tall. Plenty strong enough to pull it propper. Just operatot error.

Motor is nice and clean. Had it apart few years ago to replace crank seals.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All is functioning proper. When i put new starter rope on i put as much as possible on. Im pretty sure it has the elastostart but will have to check. He is 14 years old and 6 feet tall. Plenty strong enough to pull it propper. Just operatot error.

Motor is nice and clean. Had it apart few years ago to replace crank seals.

My youngest brother in-law is pushing 6'6" he has the long ape arms and tears up recoils. I feel your pain.

Steven

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes, showing someone the starter assembly off the saw and having them watch the action of the pawls protruding to engage the flywheel can elicit an aha moment as to how those flimsy plastic things will slam into the metal flywheel if jerked hard.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I broke the starter twice on my ported 385 I had last winter. Decomp was one off a 350 50cc saw (holes too small) and popped too early. I learned the starter is the same one as the smaller 372 o_O. No more problems once I installed the correct decomp. I would consider not to plug the decomp on these once ported with higher compression.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like decomps on almost all my saws (but then again, none of em are stock). I usually don't use them when cold starting, but they make warm re starting a snap! Also, in colder weather the oil gets a little thicker and can stop your pull on a saw that did not do that last week, if you know what I mean.