Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So......
Yesterday (Oct 6) was the anniversary of Phil’s passing. (Also my wedding anniversary).

For some time, I have been trying to track down his old SP80 or find one for myself.
He enjoyed that saw. Believe he called it the McNoodle.

Yesterday AM I get a text from a logger friend of mine in Tupper Lake. He sends me 3-4 pics of an SP81 and asks if I wanted it.
Just a little ironic I receive this text on the day I did.

I’m not familiar with these things so I’m gonna be reaching out to you guys for help and/or maybe some parts. In the frontal pic, it looks kinda twisted. I’m hoping it’s just an AV issue and nothing is broke.

@heimannm @Lee H

BA559255-AF84-4B2E-B8F3-C0CEF447A2F4.jpeg C9A72261-3F0B-4994-B26D-81131DCE6640.jpeg 27C4AD01-F21D-406F-BC3B-B3FBB9AF72D7.jpeg

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one in the process of a restoration. SP-81 like yours, same decal. Needs a new cylinder and piston as well as paint and the whole nine yards but it's a nice straight saw that was all there. Actually got it from Mark.

Only thing I can tell you is they have "A" "B" and "C" cylinders, each requiring the same lettered piston. I believe the rings are the same. Chrome bores, not your typical iron one on the older Macs. Some have a fixed high jet, mine does but that's gonna be changed.

Unmarked cylinders are "B" cylinders too. Usually the mark is around the spark plug IIRC.

I've yet to get mine going as I have plenty of other more important things to do at the moment, but I was after one of these because I heard they were very stout for their size and they honestly look pretty damn cool. They share a lot of parts with the 10 series so the little misc. parts are easy to come by.

That's all I got and I'm sure Mark and Lee will have plenty more to say.

Matthew

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just picked up an SP81. An older customer of mine who became a good friend over the years had one that he bought new and still used up until two years ago. Got to the point where he could no longer start it so he begrudgingly had to give up cutting wood. I always enjoyed his visits to the shop to hear all of his woodcutting stories from his younger days. He was a diehard McCullough guy and swore the sp81 was the "best dam chainsaw ever made" and me being a stihl guy wouldn't know what a good saw was. Lots of good banter between us. Sad to say he lost his fight with cancer and passed away earlier this year. I do miss the old fart but I'm sure he's smiling down knowing I finally have a good saw.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have at least three SP80 models, only one still had the three shoe clutch when I got it but the IPL does shoe a three shoe. The later SP81 models had the "Operator Presence Lever" on the rear handle.
Basically, every part is interchangeable between the SP80 and SP81 models. With the SP81E (electronic ignition) the block changed for mounting the electronic ignition coils.

Very impressive saws.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my small collection I have an SP 81,an 805/850 and a 281 Husqvarna .All are stock and they all cut at about the same speed no matter what length of bar,from 20" to 32"