Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basher I never knew you were such a sawwhore’der

There must be a saw for every single day of the year

wow. ...:aplastao:
I bet you are correct but I have never had them all out at one time, just too big of a job for one day.I still have a dozen or more in their boxes than I have yet to unpack or even see. Hope to in time get more of them cleaned up and pics taken. The big Solo is now my milling saw, its cut thousands of feet of spruce, pine and hemlock planks.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1882.jpg
IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1883.jpg

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same reason every car is front wheel drive, with the exception of v8s.
I believe that the current engineering theory is that the horizontal cylinder will produce more rpms.
Its whatever current science of engine design is, and percieved acceptance of customer sales. The leading companies aren't willing to take a chance on "different " even if it's better, Chrysler airflow from 1936 is a great example.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why don't manufacturers use this engine orientation? Everything new, aside from top handle saws, looks to be pretty much the same.
The vertical cylinder is supposed to be better for compactness of the body, possibly better for airflow around the cooling fins plus the newer saws run with higher RPM that equals more heat generated. By arranging the cylinder in a more vertical position the rear handle could be isolated from the chassis, the separate fuel tank and a rubber mounted carb really helped with preventing the fuel from boiling and thus less chance of vapor locking the engine. With the front mounted muffler more heat could be shielded from the crankcase, really helps when a saw is run in a hot climate.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man I just love them see through glass fuel filters on the big bottomed Pioneers. I want one just for that alone! Very nice saws Basher, you have clearly put in the hard yards.
Thanks, it took a few years.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
School me, why do most have the decomp button?

All of the ones pictured above your post do not have the decomps. I'm not sure why 50cc saws were designed with decomps (either).
Stihl made the 026 in a "Pro" version with a decomp. They also made the MS260 in a "Pro" version with a decomp. I have noticed
it makes a difference in resale -- no so much in performance. There were minimal differences between the stickered "Pro" versions
and the regular 'flat-top' saws. At first the difference in this series was a compensating carb, and adjustable oiler. (Honestly the flat
top carbs, and the manual oilers work just fine on all the ones that I've owned). Perhaps this does not cover the question entirely but
perhaps it does add info that is needed.